Need help with moving files

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Michael-Keizer

Need help with moving files

Post by Michael-Keizer »

I am trying to move my media files from my external HDD to my newly installed internal SSD. I try to use the method outlined here in the wiki (right-click on the selected files and use Send to > Folder (Move) from the Context Menu). However, nothing happens: no move, no error message, nothing. Any idea what I am doing wrong and how to resolve this? Thanks!
Friedrich

Re: Need help with moving files

Post by Friedrich »

Michael-Keizer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:11 am use Send to > Folder (Move) from the Context Menu).
It is safer to use >Folder (copy) in case something goes wrong.
(If all works well you can delete on the HDD anyway, if you wish to do so.)
You are aware that this command only moves the files and not any folders?
If you had your files organized in folders you would loose this structure.
You could use "auto-organize files" (and the "copy to new destination" option; see above..) to replicate the folder structure you have on the HDD if that is based on tags.
The MM Wiki has a nice introduction to that:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... nize_Files
However, nothing happens: no move, no error message, nothing. Any idea what I am doing wrong and how to resolve this?
Works fine here with MM2531. Which MM5 version do you use?
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

If you don't have a lot of playlists to transfer, I would keep it simple, and use windows file explorer to copy the entire structure, and then rescan the new location into MM5.

Depending on settings, MM5 tries to do reformating and re-organizing as part of a sync, so you have to be very careful to get a straight and simple copy.

see this thread as well

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=100849
Using V2024 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 11, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

By far the best way to move files is by using Auto-organize. This way, MM does not lose track of where the files are. With the proper mask, you should able to preserve the file structure.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can confirm as well that Send To > Folder (Move) works as expected on MediaMonkey 5.0.2.
Michael-Keizer

Post by Michael-Keizer »

Thanks, everyone! The issue was that I tried to move a whole folder instead of single files; which Friedrich pointed out would not work. I will use one of the alternative methods.

A question: is there a specific reason why MM will only move files and not folders? If not, could I suggest this to be changed for a next version?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

When you think about it, folders are largely irrelevant to the operation of MM (3, 4, or 5) as is the case for most music player programs. For example, two tracks could be in the same MM album even if they were in quite different folders because what matters is that the album title and album artists are the same and that's part of metadata not the folder structure. MM would probably work just as well if all the tracks were in one giant folder - again if the album title and album artist were in the tags (as they should be).

But MM will "move folders" in that it will re-create the folder structure if you use auto-organize with the proper mask.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

MM would probably work just as well if all the tracks were in one giant folder - again if the album title and album artist were in the tags (as they should be).
It is exactly like that. And also Disk # and Track #. This also gives the correct title order in MMAndroid.
In times of the MM database this is normal.

I use two folders myself:
_MUSIC: all of my favorite music files
_MUSIK_EX: all music files that do not suit my taste.
Both folders "Always monitored"
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send To is a flat operation (ie. all files are moved to the selected folder), however Cut & Paste in the Location sub-node and Auto-Organize Files can both be used to preserve folder hierarchy for moved files.
Michael-Keizer

Post by Michael-Keizer »

yarguy wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:31 am When you think about it, folders are largely irrelevant to the operation of MM (3, 4, or 5) as is the case for most music player programs. For example, two tracks could be in the same MM album even if they were in quite different folders because what matters is that the album title and album artists are the same and that's part of metadata not the folder structure. MM would probably work just as well if all the tracks were in one giant folder - again if the album title and album artist were in the tags (as they should be).
Okay, that makes sense. TBH, my folder structure is a remnant from a very long time ago before I started to use MM; it's still there partly because of inertia, partly because I still haven't gotten around to properly tag those very old files.
Lowlander wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:26 pm Send To is a flat operation (ie. all files are moved to the selected folder), however Cut & Paste in the Location sub-node and Auto-Organize Files can both be used to preserve folder hierarchy for moved files.
Right, that's good to know just in case I would need that in the future.

Thanks again, everyone!