Issue with Search on Compilation albums [#18479]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Re: Issue with Search on Compilation albums [#18479]

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:52 pm Then in the Grid view when i navigate to the album it only displays the miles davis tracks
Well spotted Dave. :D

Going back to terminology, it won't be "navigating" to the album. It allows a drill down into the filtered view of the album.

The Advanced Filter is not so quick to use, but have you noticed that it has checkboxes on the left hand side? These allow you to setup up several criteria lines, and then toggle them on only when you need them.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Yes, i was using those check boxes. Of course, in the example i gave it only finds all the "Various Artists" compilations but if i change the search to:
Artist = miles davis
Album Artist = Various Artists, Miles Davis
Then it finds all albums where Miles Davis has one or more tracks.
Barry says
Going back to terminology, it won't be "navigating" to the album. It allows a drill down into the filtered view of the album.
Ok already, i feel like i'm never going to get this right :( So i had already navigated to the album, then when i open it i'm "drilling down"
I'm doing more search tests using Advanced search & the View Filter (Funnel). & i've noticed some interesting differences. I'll post the results when i've finished.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:52 pm Yes, i was using those check boxes. Of course, in the example i gave it only finds all the "Various Artists" compilations but if i change the search to:
Artist = miles davis
Album Artist = Various Artists, Miles Davis
Then it finds all albums where Miles Davis has one or more tracks.
You're overthinking it. All you need is Artist=Miles Davis
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Yes your right, i think i've spent too much time in Covid lockdowns.
I've noticed that the Advanced Search & View Filter (funnel) both use the same Criteria box and the results obtained are the same. There is one difference though.
The View filter persists on the tab bar even when you change nodes. I like this because having done my initial search on the artist, i can change nodes to quickly see which Composer the artist used, which Genres etc. On the other hand the criteria tab for the Advanced Search is removed from the tab bar as soon as I change nodes. So I have to do the search again.
I'm wondering if this is the expected behaviour? or am i overthinking it :D
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 amor am i overthinking it :D
Always :D

Davo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 am The View filter persists on the tab bar even when you change nodes. I like this because having done my initial search on the artist, i can change nodes to quickly see which Composer the artist used, which Genres etc. On the other hand the criteria tab for the Advanced Search is removed from the tab bar as soon as I change nodes. So I have to do the search again.
I'm wondering if this is the expected behaviour?
As you now know, there is no rock solid "expected" behaviour in MM5.
Every time I build a mental picture all this behaviour, I come across an anomaly which shatters the picture, and sends me back to square one next time I come back to work in that area.

I had not noticed that behaviour; it is quite useful, but it does come unstuck if you change Collections.
BTW, to be pedantic (again), you are changing "sub-nodes". The Collection is the "node", eg. Music< Classical Music, etc ... including Custom Collections, which you don't use.

BTW2 In the View filter case, although the criteria is removed, it is available for selection in the dropdown list that opens once you start typing.

Davo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:07 am i think i've spent too much time in Covid lockdowns.
You're in that World Record lockdown city, the one with the variegated weather?
I'm north of that, where the cities are open due to the sanitising effect of sunshine, but where the borders are locked.
Davo

Post by Davo »

"variegated" - now i've never heard it called that before. You make it sound almost pleasant, today we had 100k+winds, thunderstorms with massive trees down everywhere. Of course the sun also came out for a few hours which i guess is the varegated bit you refer to.
I think the Filter Funnel thingo will become my go to search option.
David