Plex API Sync

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

javiavid

Plex API Sync

Post by javiavid »

Although I have used Mediamonkey several years to order my music, Plexamp (plex) is a very complete app to play music from any device, plus it has a system of recommendations similar to Spotify, artist radios, similar music ...

I have seen that in MM5 there is an integration with Spotify and I would like to suggest an addon for Plex.

The point of mediamonkey is to organize your local music, the spotify addon is fine to discover new playlists and sync them with your local files, but I think it makes a lot of sense an addon for Plex because the matches will be much better, since they are the same files, the same metadata...

With the Plex addon you don't depend on monthly Spotify costs and have your music perfectly sorted thanks to mediamonkey. I would love to do everything from mediamonkey and mediamonkey for android, but I think currently Plexamp is more enjoyable to use, besides the smart recommendations.
Lowlander

Re: Plex API Sync

Post by Lowlander »

I doubt that Plex has any of this data, and instead I assume that Plex sources this data elsewhere. Last.fm may be the source they use.
javiavid

Post by javiavid »

I think they pull them from last.fm and allmusic.com.
Then for the suggestions they also use the personal ratings and reproductions.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

javiavid wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:46 am With the Plex addon you don't depend on monthly Spotify costs and have your music perfectly sorted thanks to mediamonkey. I would love to do everything from mediamonkey and mediamonkey for android, but I think currently Plexamp is more enjoyable to use, besides the smart recommendations.
I'm not super familiar with Plex - Is Plex a piece of server software that you run on your own hardware? i.e., do you have your media stored on Plex on your own personal server, or is it something based on cloud servers?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's like Netflix/Spotify of your own media and the data resides locally. You can though, access your media from outside your home and there are Apps on nearly every platform.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I had a look at Plexamp, but after installing it, I was informed that I'll need a Plex Pass to proceed. 😲
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And you'll need to run a Plex Server as well.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Lowlander wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 pm And you'll need to run a Plex Server as well.
Yes, Plexamp + Plex Pass + Plex Server + money just to test it.

I would be happy to pay for it after I had tried it and like it.
But it appears there isn't a way to even have a look at it without first paying.
javiavid

Post by javiavid »

Now access to Plexamp is free, it has some payment options, but they are minimal things.

https://www.plex.tv/plexamp/

Is it possible to return to this topic?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Since my last reply on this thread, I've actually set up my own Plex server on my NAS, so I'm more familiar with how Plex works.

If you can set up some kind of file syncing between your PC and your server (for example: Nextcloud or MediaMonkeyServer), you could potentially add that synced folder as a library location on Plex, thereby giving Plex access to your music library.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.