MM5 not always save data changes to tags? [#17446]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

MM5 not always save data changes to tags? [#17446]

Post by Andre_H »

Hi there,

Isn't MediaMonkey supposed to update tags on the files automatically when changing data in MM5?

I worked a lot on ratings over the weekend, some direkt on MM5, some on MMA. The synchronization of MMA worked fine (as far as the GUI shows). Every now and then i copy ratings to "BPM" as a backup. Have a few AutoPlayList's (Rating=1, BPM <>1, etc.), if there are any hits, i set BPM to the ratings value.

If i query my tracks in MM, rating and BPM seems to be identical on all tracks.

If i check the files with MP3Tag, i have a lot of files,
  • where "Rating MM" isn't up to date (file value not identical to the correct value in MM5 GUI),
  • where "Rating MM" is not equal to "BPM".
I run the "update tags"-command (CRTL+S) over all tracks just now, and after that, the "Rating MM" tag seems up to date and equal to "BPM" tag.

So, MM5 seems to not save automatically when i change things over the GUI or sync back from MMA. Any handling error on my side ?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
dtsig

Re: MM5 not always save data changes to tags?

Post by dtsig »

Is Tools-Options-Library-Tags & Playlist option Update Tags When Editing Properties ... checked?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which build of MMW5 and does it seem the files were tagged by MMW5, by MMA or both that don't have the changes saved?

Do the files show in the Music > Files to Edit > DB / Tag Mismatches node?
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi,

Build is 5.0.0.2293.

"tag/DB missmatch" was not known to me up to this point. Great tool. There are currently no tracks there, but I executed the "save tags" (CTRL+S) command once, guess that fixed everything afterwards.

It's crazy, since my post here, MMW has been saving all data from both MMW and MMA correctly. I will continue to watch this.

Thanks @ all for the support!

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Start with updating to the latest release: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
just testing this and might be related to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17446

i.e. MM5 no longer prompts "'There are background processes running. Terminate them?'" when closing app, so this could leave some of the tracks untagged (if you closed the app while tagging them). To be fixed in course of #17446
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 am Start with updating to the latest release: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
Check! :wink:

xavierlh1

Re: MM5 not always save data changes to tags? [#17446]

Post by xavierlh1 »

I'm now running 5.0.2.2531 (current version according to "Check for update")
Just like Andre_H, I recently discovered DB / Tag mismatch, and was hoping this would explain and resolve the fact that many of my tracks keep getting downloaded to my phone even when there have been no changes.

So I ran DB /Tag mismatch which identified 3868 tracks with mismatch. After adding a variety of fields to the UI in order to identify the source of the mismatches, I realized they were all due to Track Volume and Album volume mismatch. I selected all tracks and presses CTRL-S.

The system process for a while - I even let it sit untouched longer in case there was still some unknown background process running. I then switched to various other Files to Edit screens to make sure there was no display retention issue, and got back to DB / Tag mismatch. It cranked a while and return 3868 mismatches! Same as before.

And Yes "Tools-Options-Library-Tags & Playlist option Update Tags When Editing Properties" is checked. What gives?
Last edited by xavierlh1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The current version is 5.0.2.2531: https://www.mediamonkey.com/download

What File Type(s) are affected?
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

xavierlh1 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:08 pm I'm running 5.0.1.2433
Just like Andre_H, I recently discovered DB / Tag mismatch, and was hoping this would explain and resolve the fact that many of my tracks keep getting downloaded to my phone even when there have been no changes.
Just to clarify: i had some struggle with custom tags when i posted this, the tracks that were found under mismatches had one of my custom tags saved twice, i guess MMW updated one of those duplicates, but reads the other, and thats why it mismatches (in my case! Not saying, that has to be in your case.) To clarify further: that double tags came from a selfmade script, not MMWs fault. Just tricky / Not possible to see the source within MMW.

I found about the double tags when checking the tracks individually (!!!) with mp3Tag, maybe you should Check the affected tracks with anything like that.

xavierlh1

Post by xavierlh1 »

I just updated my previous post noting that I updated to 5.0.2.2531, and I still see the same problem - tags are not updated (or at list the same files show up in the DB / Tags mismatch report.

All files are WAV files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For WAV the problem is the limited tags support within the files which means the database may contain fields not saved the the tags: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... erties/5.0
xavierlh1

Post by xavierlh1 »

Ah! I didn't know of this limitation.
I keep my library as WAV files (96kHz, 32-bit) to retain the highest quality for my own concert recording, which is why I use the Album and Track Volume Analysis as the dynamic range of concert recording can be huge and make some tracks very hard to listen to in my car. I automatically convert down to MP3 for the playlist I use on my phone.
Would it be advisable to create a duplicate MP3 library and sync my phone from that? I would certainly complicate the management and synchronization of the two libraries... Is there another better option?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, Auto-Conversion on Sync is more convenient than keeping a separate library.

I'd recommend considering FLAC instead of WAV. It has 2 benefits over WAV with better tagging support (thus less depended on the MediaMonkey database) and has file compression (while remaining lossless like WAV). FLAC is also widely supported now.