Latest LAME encoder [#17912]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Blackcat12

Latest LAME encoder [#17912]

Post by Blackcat12 »

Hi,
It would seem that MM5 is still packaged with LAME 3.99 and I am wondering why not 3.100, which is the current release? I tried replacing the lame_enc.dll in the MM5 root directory, but the compressor still found and used 3.99. Is there a way that I can manually change this?

Similarly, FLAC seems to be using v1.21 still when v1.3.3 is the current version. There may be others, but these are the two that I use the most and would like to manually update.

Thanks.
MiPi

Re: Latest LAME encoder

Post by MiPi »

MM5 uses lame_enc.dll, so replacement should work.
You cannot update FLAC encoder manually.

We plan to upgrade both encoders in the next release round, we are close to the first stable release and this change would be risky now. It will be included in beta builds of MM 5.0.1.
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

MiPi wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:03 pm We plan to upgrade both encoders in the next release round, we are close to the first stable release and this change would be risky now. It will be included in beta builds of MM 5.0.1.
Thank for the reply and confirming.
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

MiPi wrote: ↑Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:03 pm
We plan to upgrade both encoders in the next release round, we are close to the first stable release and this change would be risky now. It will be included in beta builds of MM 5.0.1.
Just following up on this as I have seen several 5.0.1 beta builds, but no change to the include the latest codecs. Do you have a target build to include these updates on your road map?

Is there a tracker number that can be followed?

Also, per suggestion in the initial response, I tried replacing the Lame_enc.dll in the MM5 root folder. I get an error what I do that stating that "Error: Lame_enc.dll can't be loaded". I have confirmed the filenames, so perhaps there is an internal check on the dll size or signature of the original?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Blackcat12 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:43 am Just following up on this as I have seen several 5.0.1 beta builds, but no change to the include the latest codecs. Do you have a target build to include these updates on your road map?

Is there a tracker number that can be followed?

Also, per suggestion in the initial response, I tried replacing the Lame_enc.dll in the MM5 root folder. I get an error what I do that stating that "Error: Lame_enc.dll can't be loaded". I have confirmed the filenames, so perhaps there is an internal check on the dll size or signature of the original?
FLAC and OGG encoders are already updated.
I checked and Lame_enc.dll from 3.100.1 works, you need to download 32bit version.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

And thanks for noticing, we really missed Lame update, fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17912
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

Thanks for the reply and hint. I missed to consider the 32 bit version. I downloaded that and was able to update the Lame_enc.dll successfully now.