New Hard Drive, Inaccessible Tracks

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Blackcat12

New Hard Drive, Inaccessible Tracks

Post by Blackcat12 »

Hi,
I changed my physical hard drive and getting an error that play back failed due to inaccessible tracks. My music is there, on the same original drive letter and path, just the physical drive itself is different.
1. I have tried using the dead links function and also locate moved and missing tracks to no avail.
2. If I expand the media tree "Location", the files show in the list, but I get the same error if I try to play from there.
3. If I navigate through 'Folders", the music plays fine. I tried add /rescan, but that adds duplicate entries (original and rescanned) rather than merging or finding the original file.
4. I do see the path /device listed in the Media Tree under 'Disconnected'. However, the path technically exists. Just a different physical drive.

The only thing that has worked is to delete my DB and scan in a fresh library. Is there any way to get it to recognized the files in my original DB and retain my history?

Thanks
dtsig

Re: New Hard Drive, Inaccessible Tracks

Post by dtsig »

The problem is the DRIVE ID. each drive has a unique drive id and that is what MM uses for location. Putting your music on the new drive without using MM will cause the music to be 'missing' as you have found out.
Try File-Find Missing Files and see if that will work.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

Ok. I found a fix, but I would have expected the Dead Links or locate moved or missing tracks feature to sync up the change of physical drive.

I right clicked on the 'Location' and selected Media Properties. In there, my old drive serial is listed as well as my Drive Label (same even on replacement). The location field was blank though. I selected the drive letter in the location dropdown and all is good now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Dead Links only shows inaccessible files on accessible drives.

Locate Moved/Missing Files could be used, but is designed for files moved/renamed.

Using Media Properties is the best practice: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

Although my issue is resolved, I am still a bit confused with these two functions as explained by Lowlander.

My database was pointing to a DRIVE_ID (physical device that is no longer in the system. The files were cloned onto a new drive with the exact same path.

1. When I used the dead links function, I would think that it would identify the files in my library that are no longer found /accessible on the DRIVE_ID + PATH. This did not happen. When I clicked on dead links, no files were identified. I think this should have shown every file in my library since if I hit play, it runs right past every file as not found.
2. With Locate Moved or missing files is run, it also found nothing, even though the files we indeed on my system. Does this feature only search on the specific DRIVE_ID already in the DB or does is search the connected drives in your SYSTEM for the moved files? The latter would make more sense than just checking on the single DRIVE_ID in the library.

Regardless, it was an easy fix once I found the right area.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) No, Dead Links only shows files not accessible on accessible drives. So Dead Links won't show files on removed drives. This is because MediaMonkey takes into account that users may use files on external drives that are only temporarily missing: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Dead_Links Disconnected does show removed drives.
2) Requires you to select the missing file in the Library, then run and select the new location where the files are located. It matches missing files with found files in the location(s) set to look for them. However I would not recommend this for changed drives. You need to verify all matches to make sure they're correct: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sing_Files
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Instead of the "Deadlinks" node you can use the "Disconnected" node just below the "Deadlinks"
This node shows you all disconnected drives as subnodes.

Otherwise I agree that right-clicking such a drive > Media Properties > change drive letter is the easiest and fastest solution