Two questions on syncing from device to library

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Yerushalmi

Two questions on syncing from device to library

Post by Yerushalmi »

1) Is there any way to tell MediaMonkey not to create the "Recently Added Content" playlist?

2) For some reason, even though I have playlists selected in the "Auto-Sync (-->Library)" window, the playlists aren't actually copied over onto my PC. It seems like MediaMonkey is using the device's playlists to help it decide which songs to transfer, but isn't copying the playlists themselves. What am I doing wrong?
Lowlander

Re: Two questions on syncing from device to library

Post by Lowlander »

1) Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists and disable Create playlists of tracks newly added to the library.

2) Which version of MMW and MMA and have the Playlists also been edited in MMW?
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

I'm an idiot. Since I don't own a smartphone, it didn't occur to me that 99.99% of your syncing queries probably have to do with smartphones that are running MediaMonkey as well. So I really should have been clearer as to what I am trying to do.

I have two Windows computers, and a SanDisk SansaClip Sport MP3 player. What I am doing here is syncing newly-purchased music from one computer onto the Clip, then syncing said newly-purchased music from the Clip onto the other computer.

Sorry about that - and also for not responding. I had forgotten to ask to be notified when there's a reply. I'm really batting a thousand here, aren't I?

1. I already have "Create playlists of tracks newly added to the library" disabled. It doesn't create new playlists when I add tracks in any other way, but it still does so when the tracks are copied from my MP3 player onto the computer.

2. Both computers are running MMW 4.1.30.1914. It updates the playlist when copying Computer->Clip, but it doesn't update the playlist when copying Clip->Computer. The only way I've found that works is to use Windows Explorer to copy the playlists over (overwriting the existing ones), then remove the playlists from the MMW database, then rescan that folder.
* If I remove the playlists from the MMW database before the sync, the sync does not recreate them, whether or not I deleted them from Windows Explorer.
* If I rescan the folder without first removing the playlists from the database, MMW says to itself "I already know about that playlist" and doesn't check if its contents have changed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, that is expected. If you were using and Android device with MediaMonkey for Android it would support sync of Playlist to PC.

Also once a Playlist is scanned into MediaMonkey it will no longer update from the original Playlist file as it also doesn't update the original Playlist file on changed to it in MediaMonkey.

So, the method you describes sounds like the best option available with the tools you're using.
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

Mmmm, I see. Should I submit a feature request to fix the problem with playlist syncing? And perhaps a bug report regarding the "newly added content" playlist that keeps getting created?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could, but this is unlikely something that will be done as the underlying technology doesn't support this well.

How do you copy files from the MP3 player?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In this scenario, if you use the 2 PCs independently (not at the same time) a Portable Install of MediaMonkey on an external drive with your media files may be the best approach. This way your MediaMonkey and it's Library is always with you.
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:22 pm You could, but this is unlikely something that will be done as the underlying technology doesn't support this well.

How do you copy files from the MP3 player?
I just use MediaMonkey's sync options from device to computer. It works very well, apart from the playlists (both the unwanted one and the uncopied ones).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And Sync syncs from device to PC for the Sansa?
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

Yup. I do this regularly - I buy a song on PC #1 and add it to a playlist. I click Auto-Sync, and the song (since it's in a selected folder) gets copied onto the Clip, and the Clip's copy of the playlist gets updated to include it. Then I plug the Clip into PC #2, click Auto-Sync, and the song (since it's in a selected folder) gets copied onto the PC. But the playlist doesn't.

And PC #2 insists on creating a separate Recently Added Content playlist just for that new song, even though that setting is ostensibly disabled.