Bit errors syncing with iphone

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ChiefBigFeather

Bit errors syncing with iphone

Post by ChiefBigFeather »

Dear Community,

I just noticed another bit error in one of the songs on my iphone SE on the last ios 13 version (forgot the number, updated to 14 after). After double checking this time, it really is there. The acc I created using itunes does not have the problem. I synced using mediamonkey. Dunno what is causing it, I just wanted to report this.

Regards,

Chief
Lowlander

Re: Bit errors syncing with iphone

Post by Lowlander »

What do you define with bit errors?

Do you have any Auto-Conversion happening on sync and which version of MediaMonkey and iTunes?
ChiefBigFeather

Well, I'm not sure it's just a single wrong bit. But I do have errors in some songs, they sound a little like a small scratch on a CD.

I converted from flac to alac using MediaMonkey, then iTunes to convert from alac to 192 kbit aac. Then I tried using MediaMonkey to sync my songs. The aac files on my computer play fine using MediaMonkey, so I think the errors occur while syncing to my phone with MediaMonkey. I have not tried using iTunes though, so maybe the problem is actually on my phone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you set MediaMonkey to do any conversion or volume leveling on the files on sync? Otherwise it just copies the files, thus the problem would then likely lie with the iTunes conversion or the iPhone playback.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What iPhone you have, latest one support FLAC to be synced, also why you have not used MM to convert Files from Lossless to Lossy (eg. FLAC to M4A)?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ChiefBigFeather

Sorry for the late reply.

I have not leveled track volume. The m4a tracks on my PC play fine in MM, so I don't think the iTunes conversion could be the cause. Since the files where converted using iTunes, they should play fine on my iPhone.

My reason for using iTunes to convert is because someone analyzing the noise said the iTunes aac codec is best. Dunno if that is placebo. I don't know which aac codec is included in the MM codec pack, so I used the iTunes codec.

My prime suspect for the cause of the errors is interruption of copy the process, either phone side (I did some light stuff on it during the 16 hours it took to copy) or PC side. The copy process may not be overly robust, maybe playing a demanding videogame in the foreground wasn't a good idea.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Copy some problem files back to the PC and compare them to the original AAC copies synced to the device: http://mediamonkey.com/support/index.ph ... to-your-pc Also listen to these copies to see if you can reproduce playback problems on the PC.