program is almost unusable

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Theophilus Thistle

program is almost unusable

Post by Theophilus Thistle »

I purchased a Gold account. On my PC, I had both the beta and the non-beta version.

MediaMonkey was so slow, I deleted the beta version. However, when I open the non-beta version, the scanning is VERY slow, and I can't play music. The program is almost unusable now.

How do I get help trouble-shooting and get this app to work?

version 4.1.28.1905
Lowlander

Re: program is almost unusable

Post by Lowlander »

Scanning depends on your settings, if you set it to analyze for duplicates it will be a slower scan. However once you've scanned your files this should no longer be a problem.
Theophilus Thistle

Thank you for replying.

Currently, MM scan is on 2390 out of 9612 files. The application is unusable while the scan is going on. It is virtually frozen t any other operations, and has been scanning for two hours.

Is there no other issue that would cause this? I uninstalled and reinstalled the application to see if that would stop MM from being unresponsive. The app used to work alright, but not now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does it seem to be doing anything else? It could be duplicate analysis, thumbnail generation, Auto-Organize and/or volume analysis.

What File Types are you scanning and where are the files stored?
Theophilus Thistle

The app barely works, with the scanning going on. Anything I click on takes a very long time to start, whether it is a song or using the toolbar.

I am scanning music files, mostly mp3 and m4a, I think. The files are on my PC.

Tech support has responded but is not very helpful. They said, well, uncheck auto-scan, but don't say how to. When I go to Options, the boxes for automatically scanning are not checked.

If I try out the beta version of MM, do I keep the non-beta version on my PC as well? How does using the beta version affect my info on the non-beta version?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

With auto-scan do you mean Folder Monitoring? That's enabled/disabled under File > Add>Rescan Files, not Options: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... he_Library

You can install MediaMonkey 5 as a Portable Install in a different folder and it won't affect your MediaMonkey 4 install: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 61#p469561
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Theophilus Thistle wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm The app barely works, with the scanning going on. Anything I click on takes a very long time to start, whether it is a song or using the toolbar.
Are you sure there is not something else going on on your system? I listen to music while scanning and though it takes scanning a bit longer it plays fine
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm unable to reproduce either. You may want to capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69