Properties

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Simon Armstrong

Properties

Post by Simon Armstrong »

Glad to see the Properties menu has remained as before. Looking at it did however remind me that discussion had been had in the past over allowing albums to be sorted by original date as opposed to version release date (date). With labels re-releasing albums at every possible opportunity this would be a welcome addition.
Yet another whole night in front of the computer! Need more NAS storage and a faster processor.....always.
Barry4679

Re: Properties

Post by Barry4679 »

Simon Armstrong wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:57 am Glad to see the Properties menu has remained as before. Looking at it did however remind me that discussion had been had in the past over allowing albums to be sorted by original date as opposed to version release date (date). With labels re-releasing albums at every possible opportunity this would be a welcome addition.
If you are talking about the MM5 album grid view. it has actually gone backwards in sorting capability, from what was available in MM4.

In MM4 we we could sort and group the album grid by:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Release Date
  • Composer
  • Rating
  • Genre
  • Length
One would have thought that the MM5 version would have made this an open ended list, and also would have made the Grouping behaviour optional.

But instead they have restricted the sort sequence to just the top three items in the above list.

At one point they said that this was a TODO, but recently they have stopped answering queries about this.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Simon Armstrong

Re: Properties

Post by Simon Armstrong »

In relation to my opening post I have since discovered the option to sort by release date does already exist, so thanks to the developers.

To Barry, I must admit I don't use grid view much preferring instead to work in List By Album and then sort as necessary by the selected column. With the option to add additional columns, my needs are pretty much covered. I understand your frustration though as I cannot see the advantage in limiting the sort options in what is essentially a database. I do think MM might be bending to the wrong audience here, as those who rip their own music probably have a pretty good idea how to navigate sort options. Those that don't will most likely use Tidal, Spotify etc. instead pf MM.
Yet another whole night in front of the computer! Need more NAS storage and a faster processor.....always.