Playing/Streaming from Google Drive

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

hetnon

Playing/Streaming from Google Drive

Post by hetnon »

Hi,

I looked everywhere in the forum but didn't see any response about it.

Is it possible to use google drive the same way as my local library? I just uploaded all my collection to the drive and now I want to access the files from my work computer. I don't want to sync the files to the work computer since it would cost me 300 GB in disk space, which I don't have. I wanted to simply navigate among the files from google drive and "stream" then in media monkey.

I can use the crap player embedded in chrome to do that, but I want the functionalities in media monkey, especially filter by rating and other filters.

Is there a way to do that?
Last edited by hetnon on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Playing/Streaming from Google Drive

Post by Lowlander »

hetnon

Re: [SOLVED] Playing/Streaming from Google Drive

Post by hetnon »

How a thread for Media Monkey 5 is supposed to answer my question?

Anyway, I downloaded it and saw that there's a Google Drive option as a source for my library. I turned this on and I opt for syncing mannually, as I usually do for my hard disc library. I logged in and everything.

I now have a Google Drive icon on my menu that doesn't seem to do anything. It didn't map any file as for the usual library does.
What am I missing?
hetnon

Post by hetnon »

I think I'm making improvements but it's still very unclear.

I believe MM5 is trying to sync with google drive the way I want but it's crashing and giving me this log D333F68B.

Someone to help??

Best,
Hetnon
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
in the corresponding log I see this exception:

Cannot open file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey 5\[SAMSUNG]\Hetnon Desktop\Mp3\Tag OK\Guitarristas\Andy McKee\2004 - Dreamcatcher\Andy Mckee - Dreamcatcher - 07 - Heather's Song.mp3". O sistema nĂŁo pode encontrar o caminho especificado.

while trying to upload these track to the Google Drive. I will fix it to fail gracefully when this error appears.

BTW: If you want to have all your track in Google Drive (to be accessible from all MM5 instances) do this:
1) Use MM5 instance 1 to upload all tracks to the Google Drive (so that also all MM metadata are written there)
2) Use MM5 instance 2 and just scan to Google Drive content into the library
These way all the metadata (uploaded by instance 1) will be scanned to instance 2 and tracks will be available for streaming and will be part of your library
hetnon

Post by hetnon »

Hi Ludek,

thank you, I can see someone got my question now and is actually showing a way to help.

That said, sorry for my ignorance, but in the case my files are already in Google drive (and they are in the session "My computer" not in "My drive" because I don't want them to be duplicated in the other computers, I just want to access them remotely), what you said just means I will have to re-upload all files using Media Monkey 5?

I upload them using the normal Google Sync and now I'm just trying to read them on a different laptop.

Also, is it possible to remove the [Solved] from the title of the topic? I haven't solved it yet but the admin changed it.

Thank you very much.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

hetnon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm Also, is it possible to remove the [Solved] from the title of the topic? I haven't solved it yet but the admin changed it.
Since it is your thread, I think that you can modify the thread title yourself by updating your initial post.

hetnon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm That said, sorry for my ignorance, but in the case my files are already in Google drive (and they are in the session "My computer" not in "My drive" because I don't want them to be duplicated in the other computers, I just want to access them remotely), what you said just means I will have to re-upload all files using Media Monkey 5?
Maybe Ludek will understand this ... I don't.

You have files|folders sync'ed to Google, which are accessible via Google Drive, but they are not in My Drive? ... How do you do that?

I do have files that are sync'd to Google (eg. Calendar, Tasks etc), but they are only accessible via their relevant apps ... I can't see them in Google Drive.

I can only access the My Drive location when using the Drive app.

I use MM5 sync to Google Play Music ... MM5 syncs to GPM, but you can also play tracks that you have copied to your GPM library using some other tool ... the MM5 GPM sync facility will link your local tracks to the pre-existing GPM copies, to avoid having to recopy those files to GPM.

I presume that the MM5 sync to Google Drive works the same. .. Ludek?

in MM5, you can configure the web location of your tracks in the File Locations tab of Devices&Services>SyncProfile .... but I am presuming that the location must be within MyDrive.

Dropbox has facility to control whether any specific file or folder also has a local copy on your PC ... but I think that in Google Drive this happens on a global level (?) ... So Dropbox may be a better tool for you?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

hetnon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm Also, is it possible to remove the [Solved] from the title of the topic? I haven't solved it yet but the admin changed it.
Since it is your thread, I think that you can modify the thread title yourself by updating your initial post.

hetnon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm That said, sorry for my ignorance, but in the case my files are already in Google drive (and they are in the session "My computer" not in "My drive" because I don't want them to be duplicated in the other computers, I just want to access them remotely), what you said just means I will have to re-upload all files using Media Monkey 5?
Maybe Ludek will understand this ... I don't.

You have files|folders sync'ed to Google, which are accessible via Google Drive, but they are not in My Drive? ... How do you do that?

I do have files that are sync'd to Google (eg. Calendar, Tasks etc), but they are only accessible via their relevant apps ... I can't see them in Google Drive.

I can only access the My Drive location when using the Drive app.

I use MM5 sync to Google Play Music ... MM5 syncs to GPM, but you can also play tracks that you have copied to your GPM library using some other tool ... the MM5 GPM sync facility will link your local tracks to the pre-existing GPM copies, to avoid having to recopy those files to GPM.

I presume that the MM5 sync to Google Drive works the same. .. Ludek?

in MM5, you can configure the web location of your tracks in the File Locations tab of Devices&Services>SyncProfile .... but I am presuming that the location must be within MyDrive.

Dropbox has facility to control whether any specific file or folder also has a local copy on your PC ... but I think that in Google Drive this happens on a global level (?) ... So Dropbox may be a better tool for you?

[UPDATE]
Barry4679 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm You have files|folders sync'ed to Google, which are accessible via Google Drive, but they are not in My Drive? ... How do you do that?

Duh ... Ignore the second section of this post ... I installed Google Backup&Sync onto my PC, and I now see what you mean.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Sure, you does not need to upload the tracks using MediaMonkey, but then you won't see the metadata.
MediaMonkey uploads also tracks+playlists metadata to the Google Drive so that another (or same) instance of MediaMonkey can read/write the metadata.

So if you upload the tracks using another app to the Google Drive then you can access and scan them using MM5 (and play/stream them), but without all the metadata.

1) Go to [Devices & Services] and net to the 'Storage & Services' there is the (+) button.
2) Sign in
3) Access the files via the
[Devices & Services] > Google Drive > Folders
or
[Devices & Services] > Google Drive > All tracks

You can play the files from there or add them to library (via right-click > Add to library...), but if you did not upload them using MM5 then the metadata is missing so it would rather mess up your library (alternatively go to menu > Add/Rescan files... > [Add Location] > Cloud .. > Google Drive)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek, I don't think that you are fully understanding his question either. ... It is not just a question re availability of metadata.

The OP's tracks are in Google Drive, but not in MyDrive. ... ie. using Google's Backup&Sync facility which, as I found yesterday, is part of Drive, but is a separate installation to the main part of Drive.

See here. I have marked an album folder for Backup&Sync to Google Drive ... the folder is in continuous sync to Drive. I cannot see these tracks in MM5 using any of the methods that you suggest. ... ie. MM5 is not handling all Use cases for Google Drive if it restricts itself to just the MyDrive share.
hetnon

Post by hetnon »

Barry4679 understood my question!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the files are in "My Drive" it's easy. The files will be duplicate in every machine synced to Google Drive, I have the files in the Google Drive folder and I just add this folder to the library. Nothing special.

However if you don't use "My Drive" but another 'drive' in Google Drive', as Barry is showing in the pic he uploaded, the files are not saved in every machine that is synced to Google Drive, but just on the original machine and are also backed up in the cloud. They and can be accessed by the other machines, but the machines don't "have" them. I can play these files that are now in the cloud using Google Chrome from anywhere, for example, without downloading the files, just "streaming" them.

What I want to do is just "stream" but using Media Monkey so I can have the features to organize the files.

Is there a way???
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, all the folders and files that I have in "My Drive" are also available in MediaMonkey, see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx2pheikeuj3r ... 1.png?dl=0 ("My Drive" corresponds to "Můj Disk" (in Czech))
I just noticed that the order is different.

I don't know whether it is possible for us to access something outside of "My Drive" (as it is actually the cloud storage), but I will do a research
hetnon

Post by hetnon »

Thanks Ludek.

And if not, that would be the ultimate killer feature for me. And if we extend this feature to the mobile app media monkey would completely replace spotify. Imagine accessing and streaming the library from anywhere without having to download and store the files.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

hetnon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 pm And if not, that would be the ultimate killer feature for me. And if we extend this feature to the mobile app media monkey would completely replace spotify. Imagine accessing and streaming the library from anywhere without having to download and store the files.
Maybe Ludek can find a way to access your file location ... but if no, you can still achieve this particular aim.

I would guess that MMA will eventually be able to access the web data stores that MM5 is creating, but there is no sign of that ATM. In the meantime you can achieve this by syncing your tracks to a Google Play Music account. Google allow you to upload up to 50,000 tracks at no charge ... You can upload and sync using either MM5 or the Google Play Music Manager. ... in either case the tracks are transcoded to 320bps mp3 files. ... I would use MM5 unless you already have a large collection already uploaded to GPM. ... If no, the Google Play Music Manager may still offer some advantages for a very large collection, but otherwise I would use MM5.

You can stream from anywhere using the Google Play Music client app ... You can design playlists using MM5, which will sync them into your GPM library. This overcomes the major complaint re the clunky nature of the GPM music client.
Greatcrimson

Post by Greatcrimson »

I have an issue similar to the one mentioned in this old thread. I need to access a Google Drive Shared Folder, but MM5 is not displaying the contents.

Is this possible?