Do you use Media Monkey? Why?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Kristin099

Do you use Media Monkey? Why?

Post by Kristin099 »

After reading several users input, I'm switching to a combo of organizing my music by genre in folders but in more broad categories with no sub folders and also will be using a program like media monkey or itunes.

Traktor has intergration with itunes, however I've tried it so many times but it so bloated and well I just cant' get my head around it.

I've used media monkey it seems better, more lightweight. However it isn't integrate with traktor. For those of you who are using Media Monkey couple questions

1. Why did you choose it over Itunes
2. Is creating playlist in media monkey and then importing to Traktor easy or their special steps involved
3. With Itunes integrated to Traktor why would you use something else

Just looking for a easy seamless way to clean, organize and setup my set list into traktor.

On the quest to get music organize, man is it neverending.

Thanks!
Peke

Re: Do you use Media Monkey? Why?

Post by Peke »

Kristin099 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm 1. Why did you choose it over Itunes
iTunes never existed when I started to use MMW (2001), until I needed to own Apple Mobile device for testing I never owned one. Later I tried it and it Auto-Organized My music as it seen fit (lost several months to recover from that), after that I only used iTunes to reset Apple devices nothing more (except occasional test of sync)
Kristin099 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm 2. Is creating playlist in media monkey and then importing to Traktor easy or their special steps involved
Playlists in MMW are easy and you have much more freedom than in iTunes. Usually steps Include these:
1. Start MMW
2. Create Playlist I want for my DJ Set
3a. Use Auto Organize with mask C:\TempDJSET\<Auto Number>. [<BPM>] <Title> - <Artist>
or
3b. Select all tracks in MMW and Drag and Drop to Traktor (I use prefer MixVibes for turntables and over Traktor), Nowdays when I have time to play around I use MixedInKey, MashUp, Flow8 and Odesi as I always loved Harmonic Mixing and not just beat matching.
3c. Export M3U Playlists and Drag and Drop them into any app I want.
Kristin099 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm 3. With Itunes integrated to Traktor why would you use something else
It is not integrated just uses iTunes Library, Traktor Never asked us to incorporate MMW library (We would help them, but they need to do the integration into Traktor), especially now when MMS (MediaMonkey Server) is Available for free on GitHub.

Let me know if you need more help, but I think I have covered your Options, exept maybe that you should bother Traktor to include/integrate MMW Library into Traktor, especially as MM5 have also support for Initial Key.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
riverboatsam

Post by riverboatsam »

A couple of reasons. First, I just plain hate the way Itunes works & everything is proprietary. But MOSTLY, if I get a new computer or MP3 player, I don't want to have to "authorize" it to Apple (and there's some kind of upper limit on the number of times you can do that). When I buy something, it's MINE. I don't want to fight my way through some corporation's arbritrary policies in order to use what is MINE. And Media Monkey works great plus there's great support. I'm very happy with it. :D
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

I hated it when iTunes automatically rated my songs (songs that had no ratings but were part of albums with other songs that were rated became the "average" rating of the album. Absolute crap).

After learning to use MMW I would never want to go back, you can customize about everything and with iTunes you need to take it as it is.
Last edited by Snofru on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I originally used Media Monkey because it played FLAC format, then the best audio one could get for digital files. Unfortunately, I have had to move to other products to play my music as even better digital formats came along and Media Monkey when developing version 5 decided that it wouldn't keep up with those advances. With MQA and DDS files more and more widely available and offering a higher quality audio, a player that handles them seems to me essential. But I still use Media Monkey 4 to organize my music files - it's still very good at that (and you don't need MM5 to get that).
Linwood

Post by Linwood »

I am in the process of switching from itunes now. It's a collection of issues over the years, but mostly comes down to a couple of things: (1) Apple's "we know best" changes over the years forced a fair amount of work (or at least research) on my when all i wanted was to use it as a librarian, whether from UI changes, folder structural changes, or how I interacted with Apple's web and authentication (which frankly should have been zero), and (2) I wanted something that was better at organization of physical files, movement of them, format conversion, etc.

Also, after I made the (still a bit tentative) decision, I found MM5 will do google play music sync, or at least some day, which is really useful.

With respect to (1) I realize software has to change (indeed if it is not, it is dead, and that's reason to change also). But so many of apple's changes were disruptive without seeming to bring any real value. Change should be purposeful, not just because some marketing guy decided he didn't like the UI looks.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

One of the reasons I moved on from Media Monkey is their decision to devote considerable resources to the lower quality MP3 only Google Play (yes it will upload your FLAC file but it will then change it to MP3). The future of digital audio is not in lossy formats like MP3. MQA is a way to store lossless formats in less space. Tidal, Qobuz and now Deezer are using that technology, music players I mentioned in a previous post use that technology; MM5 does not. An increasing number of digital releases are available in DSD; even JRiver supports that, MM4 & MM5 do not. As I said, the reason I keep MM4 on my desktop is Auto-Organize; it's the best feature of the program.

I'm disappointed that Media Monkey decided to stay behind the times. The program has lots of good features for playing music (not all of which were carried over to MM5); but other programs have moved well past it.
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

I've been a MM Gold user since 2005, after scouring everywhere for a suitable library manager. iTunes is simply too controlling and doesn't offer the wide Swiss-Army-knife array of features like MM does. Plus, the moment I had a question I couldn't answer myself, and dropped it into these forums, I was soon on a remote session with Pavle (Peke) and he had my issue resolved in just a few moments. I've enjoyed having that resource of support for years.

The user community here, and the wealth of information in these forums, is most definitely a big part of why I stand by my choice, year after year. I welcome the new era that will come with MMW5, but MM4 has been my daily driver for media management and serves my needs quite well.

I should mention to OP that I too am a DJ using Traktor. There's a script available in the add-ons forum called "Export to iTunes library"(look on page 9 of the thread for the latest version) which works quite well. I simply execute it just before I prepare Traktor for a new set. In Traktor, you can choose the file location of your iTunes library, so I'm able to point it to the one used by MM, and keep my actual iTunes library (for other things like TV/movie rentals) separate.
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
HillmanMinx

Post by HillmanMinx »

Hi,
the script I've read so much about that enables me to share with Traktor DJ is broken/no longer exists.
Have itunes destroyed it deliberately?
Is there an alternative?
Just starting with DJing - this has stopped my progress dead!
All help appreciated.
HillmanMinx

Post by HillmanMinx »

Re. Traktor.
Am I right in thinking from what I've read in the thread that it is possible to drag and drop playlists from MM straight into Traktor without using the itunes imitation script at all? (which is beyond my computer competency anyway!).
Would be good news for me. :D
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

The updated version of the script is provided in a link on page 9 of the thread about that script, and it is working perfectly for me, both when I was on Traktor 2.X and now that I'm on 3.0. Please try that version instead of the one linked on the first page.
HillmanMinx wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:47 pm Hi,
the script I've read so much about that enables me to share with Traktor DJ is broken/no longer exists.
Have itunes destroyed it deliberately?
Is there an alternative?
Just starting with DJing - this has stopped my progress dead!
All help appreciated.
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

I have never gotten MM to transfer a playlist directly into Traktor by dragging and dropping, so for me the iTunes script is the workaround. Been using that for 3 years now.
HillmanMinx wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 pm Re. Traktor.
Am I right in thinking from what I've read in the thread that it is possible to drag and drop playlists from MM straight into Traktor without using the itunes imitation script at all? (which is beyond my computer competency anyway!).
Would be good news for me. :D
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

yarguy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 pm (yes it will upload your FLAC file but it will then change it to MP3).
I assume you are referring to Google Play, because MediaMonkey certainly supports and plays FLAC. I have quite a few of them, to I mostly ripped to ALAC for compatibility with Apple devices.
Last edited by sallenmd87 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

I switched to it because iTunes chokes on large libraries. I have 250,000 tracks. I've been collecting CDs for 35 years.
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

yarguy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 pm The future of digital audio is not in lossy formats like MP3.
Among audiophiles, yes. Not so sure about the other 95+% of people. So long as lossless formats are sold at a much higher price that $1.29 per track, which is usually the case, the majority will not buy them. They have come to accept MP3 and AAC. The future of digital audio is streaming anyway.