[SOLVED] First Time Sync Direct to SD Card

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Ryche

[SOLVED] First Time Sync Direct to SD Card

Post by Ryche »

Hi,

A general question... I recently upgraded my phone from a non-expandable memory Samsung Galaxy S6 Active to the S7 Active. Not much of an upgrade, but more RAM and expandable memory (200GB Class 10 SanDisk), which is what I was looking for.

Anyway, I was looking into moving MMA (Current Version - - 1.3.3.0842), to the SD card to save about 10GB of phone internal storage, as well as allowing me to add a large number of songs should I choose to fill the SD card with music.

I found the MM Wiki page for syncing MM to Android (https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... oid_device) - but I'm not able to follow the SD directions as given for 2 reasons... My laptop is a bit older and doesn't have an SD Card slot, and the store/carrier put the SD card in, so I don't have the tool to get the card out of the phone anyway.

When I plug the phone into my laptop, MMW does pick up both the internal storage for the phone as well as the SD card. So my question is - can I do an initial sync directly to the SD Card (via the MMW option to sync to the phone card). If so, are there any other settings I need to adjust/modify to make sure the sync takes and MMA behaves properly?

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: First Time Sync Direct to SD Card

Post by Lowlander »

You can either do a wifi or USB sync the first time. This should work for most.
Ryche

Post by Ryche »

Thank you much. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see what happens.

As a secondary question, should I move the MMA app to my SD card, or leave the app on my phone storage? I'm asking because I did try moving it to the SD card once, and ended up losing most of the widgets once I did that. I will say I hadn't moved the music or tried a sync beforehand. Soon as I moved MMA back to the phone, everything displayed as expected.

Another way of asking this - can the library be synced/stored on the SD card, while the main MMA app is on the phone's physical storage.

Thanks again - and sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.:)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know why that wouldn't have worked. However unless you have space issues on the internal memory there would be no reason to move it to the external memory (internal memory is likely faster).
Ryche

Post by Ryche »

I tried it this morning... and success!!

First, I synced MMW to the SD card using the MMW sync option, and then deleted the items in the Music Folder of my Internal Storage.
I then removed the old widget and added a "new" one (was unsure if the old widget would be looking at the Internal storage. I am a QA Tester, and many times when our DBAs change something, closing the app and starting over is the only way to check the update. Based on that experience, I applied the same theory to MMA).
The widget/MMA scanned the library once or twice (based on notifications, and watching the song titles flash past on the widget, staying visible for about half a second). Once the scans stopped, I opened MMA from internal storage, confirmed the playlists I'd selected matched with the MMW values, and then finally selected play... and it all works great.

Thanks again for the answers and assistance!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Good reading. Flagged it as informational solution thx.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts