iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

kudos

iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Post by kudos »

I synched a brand new iPhone XR (iOS 12.1.2) with MM (latest version 4.1.23.1881). The phone was working perfectly and was recognized by iTunes before the MM sync.

Post-sync, I can see and play the songs on my phone. But when I open up iTunes, it says that iTunes cannot read the contents of the phone and that the phone must be restored to factory settings. This is a problem as I can no longer backup or sync via iTunes, etc.

Am I the only one with this issue re the new iPhones? Is MM being updated to address this? Expected ETA on MM update?
Peke

Re: iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database

Post by Peke »

Hi,
We received another report from iPhone XR similar to yours and we track it at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15280 but for now we are not being able to replicate problems on our Apple devices. For now that we know renaming iTunesCDB to For now that we know renaming 1iTunesCDB fixes problem till next iTunes sync.

But it also looks it is not just related to MMW as quick search finds several reports like https://appuals.com/fix-itunes-cannot-r ... ts-iphone/ that refer to same issue.

Please note as that is third party site not in any way related to MediaMonkey that we can't be sure about its accuracy and we can't be responsible if any damage happen to your device if solutions and proposals from that link are tested and used to try to fix your issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kudos

Re: iPhone XR sync — Corrupts iPhone/iTunes database [#15280]

Post by kudos »

Thank you for letting me know. It’s pretty clear that the MM sync is corrupting the iTunes database because that was the only action I took. I went through the process twice and had to restore each time. Tried different cables, deleting a song and iPhone restart, and even uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Same negative result.

I have since restored to a previous backup (pre-MM sync) and have avoided MM since. I’ll switch to Amazon Music or Spotify for a while until this issue gets resolved. Hopefully you can figure it out because I really like MM.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi thanks for reporting!
Although I am still unsuccessful to replicate the issue, I have been able to fix some tweaks (differences) between iTunesCDB written by iTunes and by us.

Could you please download this d_iPhone.dll : https://www.dropbox.com/s/tewmko02od12k ... e.dll?dl=0
And copy it over your current d_iPhone.dll in the {MM install directory}/Plugins/d_iPhone.dll
Then run MM, do a sync (e.g. copy or delete single track) and try whether iTunes still refuses the CDB file.
If the problem still persists then it would be helpful if you could temporarily delete the music and playlists previously copied by MM and copy just single track/playlist to the iPhone using MM.
Then verify whether the iTunesCDB is acceptable by iTunes (or not) and send me the iTunesCDB file.
If it is acceptable with the single track then try to broke it by copying further content and send me another iTunesCDB file for the comparison.

For downloading the iTunesCDB file you will need an application like iMazing : https://imazing.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA99vh ... HIQAvD_BwE
And then access using iMazing to this path: File system > Media > iTunes_Control > iTunes > iTunesCDB

Deleting the iTunesCDB file is a current workaround for you to be able to use iTunes for sync/backup (without a need to restore the device)
Openroads

Post by Openroads »

Hi,
Same problem with two brand new iPhone XS.
iTunesCDB corrupted.
It works fine within Media Monkey, multiple time syncing in MediaMonkey.
But as soon as you sync one time with MediaMonkey, you can't sync with iTune anymore.
I use MediaMonkey to sync music ans iTune to sync ringtone, pictures, backups...
To workaround, I need to use a third party app (iMazing) to delete the iTunesCDB from the iPhone, than do my sync jobs with iTune and last but not least with media monkey.

I'll try the dll
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for testing as that is the only way we can debug things. Apple keep us blind and make things harder with each upgrade when they change something and never ever publish any of changes.

Unfortunately in Many many cases things that iTunes reports as corrupted Device is actually way to tell users not to use third party apps but use only iTunes in order to make your devices compatible with changes they can make in each version release.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
DirkTheDaring

Post by DirkTheDaring »

I can consistently replicate the situation where once I sync my iPhone XS with MediaMonkey I can no longer sync with iTunes (not just music, nothing at all). I have now done this several times. That is, sync, break, restore;sync, break, restore.

This is new behavior as it used to work just fine. Furthermore it seems to be out of the blue, although it may be related to the very latest update of iOS. (And I've verified that I'm on the latest MM version and iOS version.

Ken
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this issue is tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15280
But we haven't been able to replicate the issue on our devices.

I have been in contact with one user that can replicate the issue and found that the issue is related to device identifier that needs to be used to calculate hash value to be written to iTunesCDB file (and iTunes considers the iTunesCDB file as corrupted if the hash value does not match).
But the user has stopped the debugging unfortunately :-/

Could you please generate debug log (using DbgView -- item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69 )

1) Start DbgView
2) ensure iPhone is plugged via USB
3) Ensure that the iPhone is visible in MediaMonkey and save the log from the DbgView and attach the log

I will be able to see the device identifier from the log and able to debug this further (and hopefully fix shortly).

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, could anyone of you please generate the debug log (as I requested above) so that I could fix this issue?

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi all, I no longer need the log, I have already got the log from another user and was able to prepare two versions of d_iPhone.dll.
One of the two versions ('version 4' or 'version 5') should finally work for the iTunes to accept our iTunesCDB file.

I uploaded them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wt932ipzc4bg ... FSS7a?dl=0

Could you please confirm/test which of the two versions fixes the problem for you?

Just replace your current /MediaMonkey/plugins/d_iPhone.dll by the downloaded one and do the test.

Thanks!
Jeevesunit

Post by Jeevesunit »

Hi, I think I have a linked issue.
iPhone 6s: iOS 12.1.4
Windows 10: MediaMonkey 4.1.24.1882

I've been using MM for 2 years as my main PC and iPhone music platform with no syncing issues.

I recently tried to Sync my iPhone with MediaMonkey. It is detected by MM and initiates autosync but after about 5 seconds of (preparing list of files) it stops.

Clicking on the iPhone in MM brings up an error message under the currently selected track in MM of: "12.1.4" is not a valid integer value

When I look at the device in Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync the Capacity bar is showing only about 10% of the Audio files on the device.

I ran through a few obvious fixes updating iTunes, MM, iOS and restarting both the device and the PC. During this process I came across this iTunes issue. I've tried renaming the iTunes CDB file which fixes the issue in iTunes but the original sync issue in MM remains. I've also tried replacing the .dll file with versions 4 & 5 in the link but this doesn't resolve the corrupted CDB file issue in iTunes.

Any thoughts on what to try next? Happy to log a debug file if someone can point me in the right direction of how to do that.

Thanks
Norbi1962

Post by Norbi1962 »

Hallo,
same issue on my device: iPhone XR with latest iOS 12.1.4, latest official MM 4.1.23.1881.
Checken it two times (download music with MM, no recognition with iTunes, deletion of itunescdb on iphone, recognition with iTunes, ...).
Best regards
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@Norbi1962, @DirkTheDaring , @Openroads, @kudos

Could you please try which of the supplied DLLs fixes the issue per my request here

i.e.
1) download d_iPhone.dll ('version 4' and 'version 5' here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wt932ipzc4bg ... FSS7a?dl=0 )
2) replace your current /MediaMonkey/plugins/d_iPhone.dll by the downloaded one and do the test.

Does it resolve the issue for you?

@Jeevesunit
This sounds like another issue, could you please generate debug log using steps from here ?
Jeevesunit

Post by Jeevesunit »

Thanks I've posted a Dbg File on the Helpdesk. Let me know if you need anything further.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@Jeevesunit: Thx, solving separately via the eSuport ticket.

@Norbi1962, @DirkTheDaring , @Openroads, @kudos:
Could you please anyone of you confirm whether this d_iphone.dll:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ae2ft1o27vx92 ... e.dll?dl=0
fixes the problem for you?

Just replace your current /MediaMonkey/plugins/d_iPhone.dll by the downloaded one and do the test and let me know.

Thanks!