repeated re-downloading on wifi sync [#15635]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

TroubleClef

repeated re-downloading on wifi sync [#15635]

Post by TroubleClef »

MMA 1.3.3.0843 keeps re-downloading songs that have already been synced to the device.

I recently got a new Galaxy S9 phone and did an initial wifi sync with no data just to initialize. Then synced 1000's of songs with MMW with sd card directly in computer. When that was done I did an MMA wifi sync and it re-downloaded the entire library over wifi as if the MMW sync never happened. Since then wifi sync is re-downloading songs that I have only played, no other changes. But tonight wifi sync tried to re-download a couple 1000 songs I haven't touched at all. I canceled that sync... Please help.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Re: repeated re-downloading on wifi sync LOG V3S78JCD6X

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMW?
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

MMW 4.1.23.1881

Any thoughts? Thanks
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
TroubleClef

songs re-downloading on wifi sync LOG FN4B162GU6

Post by TroubleClef »

MMA Beta Version 1.3.4.048

Songs re-download upon wifi sync after playback in MMA. Several previous versions have had this issue and I've sent logs and commented on this here before. Does anyone else experience this? Why does it keep recurring?

This is a really frustrating problem with basic functionality of the app. I hope it can be resolved in future versions.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Has there been any editing of the files in MMA, including auto-lookup of Art or Lyrics? In that scenario I do expect this as MMA can't tag the files, so it relies on MMW to tag and re-sync so the files are up-to-date on your device.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 pm Has there been any editing of the files in MMA, including auto-lookup of Art or Lyrics? In that scenario I do expect this as MMA can't tag the files, so it relies on MMW to tag and re-sync so the files are up-to-date on your device.
No I don't use those features, and for this sync no editing occurred in MMA. Only playback. Often times I do edit song ratings in MMA, but there again, with some versions that seems to trigger a re-download but in other versions it just updates without re-downloading.

Can you help me understand what should and should not trigger a re-download, assuming everything is working as it should?

Thanks.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Hi,
unfortunately, your log does not contain info why tracks are re-downloading. Please repeat sync and send me new LOG immediately when sync starts. For sure you can send also several LOGs during sync.
Thanks
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

martin.bohac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 am Hi,
unfortunately, your log does not contain info why tracks are re-downloading. Please repeat sync and send me new LOG immediately when sync starts. For sure you can send also several LOGs during sync.
Thanks
Thanks, a new version has since come out and I"m not having the re-download problem at the moment. I'll try to send a log during sync next time it happens though.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

martin.bohac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 am Hi,
Thanks
The re-downloading is happening again on version 1.3.4.0850. Check for log Q3TZGYVIKG. I sent the log during sync once the downloading began. Hopefully this provides what you need.

Thanks
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Still happening with version 0853. Log ID AHF3N4A42.

I think this happens when I play songs that were previously downloaded in earlier MMA versions. For some reason those seem to be the songs that are redownloaded when synced iin a newer version of MMA.

Would be nice to have a substantive response to this on-going issue.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Hi, I have checked your logs.
In all cases, the re-downloaded tracks were auto-converted tracks.
The auto-converted tracks have an additional hash value. If this value is changed then these tracks are re-downloaded.
The issue is that your original tracks hadn't hash value as though these tracks were not auto-converted on first wifi sync.
Unfortunately, your database is too big and is not included in your debug logs, so I can not exactly compare what was changed.

Didn't you change auto-conversion rules between sync?
Do you have some special rule?
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

martin.bohac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm Hi, I have checked your logs.
In all cases, the re-downloaded tracks were auto-converted tracks.
The auto-converted tracks have an additional hash value. If this value is changed then these tracks are re-downloaded.
The issue is that your original tracks hadn't hash value as though these tracks were not auto-converted on first wifi sync.
Unfortunately, your database is too big and is not included in your debug logs, so I can not exactly compare what was changed.

Didn't you change auto-conversion rules between sync?
Do you have some special rule?
Hopefully you can help me answer those questions. What is a "hash value" and what would cause it to change that would result in a re-download? Also what is an example of a "special rule"?

When I initially download songs to to MMA they are converted from flac to mp3 using constant bit rate, joint stereo, high quality. I have not changed any of these settings since the beginning. The only thing I have done with the songs that are re-downloading is play them in MMA.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the re-downloading seems to happen with some songs that I play in MMA, which had been initially downloaded using an earlier version of MMA. One other observation, it doesn't necessarily re-download all such songs. For example, today I played about 40 songs that had been synced from an earlier version but when I synced tonight only about 30 of those songs re-downloaded.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

I need to analyze your database before and after sync. I am creating new build 1.3.5.856 (will be published soon). This build has increased max limit of database size, so your database should be included in next your logs.

Re "hash value" is a modification flag only which is never changed on MMA side.
A "special rule" I meant some "auto-conversion" rule that you specified. So you have "flac to mp3", but this rule, as you wrote, was specified also during the first sync so this will not be the issue.

So it's very weird that this flag is empty on MMA side during sync. It looks like these files were newly scanned locally and sync info was lost. I was testing it on my devices but never reproduce it.
I will be smarter after analyzing your database.

After your MMA will be updated, please send a log to confirm that your db is included.
Then send your log before and after wifi sync.

Thanks for your patience.

Martin.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
856 build is released as Beta.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

martin.bohac wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:29 am
Re "hash value" is a modification flag only which is never changed on MMA side.
A "special rule" I meant some "auto-conversion" rule that you specified. So you have "flac to mp3", but this rule, as you wrote, was specified also during the first sync so this will not be the issue.

So it's very weird that this flag is empty on MMA side during sync. It looks like these files were newly scanned locally and sync info was lost. I was testing it on my devices but never reproduce it.
I will be smarter after analyzing your database.

After your MMA will be updated, please send a log to confirm that your db is included.
Then send your log before and after wifi sync.

Thanks for your patience.

Martin.
Thanks for following up. I'll post the new log id's here. Hopefully I'll be smarter after this too ;)
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester