Playlists and Metadata corrupted every week or two

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

toyzrme

Playlists and Metadata corrupted every week or two

Post by toyzrme »

Galaxy S7, 200GB uSD card, been using for 2 years.
MMA: 1.3.1.0751
MMW: 4.1.20.1864

For some reason, every several days to a couple of weeks, my tree of Playlists will get flattened (i.e. nested structure gets flattened to a single level, with all playlists).
At the same time, all of the rating metadata is lost. Lyrics and artwork remain.
If I sync, it has to re-match ALL 12,000 tracks - which takes HOURS.

I'm curious: is Google causing this, or MMA? How could I tell?
Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
"Endless Re-syncing"
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
Lowlander

Re: Playlists and Metadata corrupted every week or two

Post by Lowlander »

I'm seeing neither here, nor have I seen reports of it. Is another App also working on your media files on your device?
toyzrme

Post by toyzrme »

Not that I'm aware of, as I exclusively use MMA for playing my mp3's.
I do use VLC 4 Android to play mp4 videos.

I did try turning off Google updates - but it didn't fix the problem, and still happened.

Even stranger: first it looses the MM Playlist structure (i.e. the tree gets flattened), and metadata.
Now (couple days later), when I go to Playlists in MMA, it says there are NONE, and asks me to choose library folders. If I view with ESFileExplorer, the /playlists/*.m3u playlists are all there.

I can fix it by deleting all of the playlists, and re-syncing (WiFi via MMA), but this takes hours of "Matching", then a long sync.

Other ideas?
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have type of cleaner on your device?
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

I would need a log to see what is happening. Could you please send me a log (from About dialog->Send logs) right after the playlists are flattened. It is certainly caused by syncing with Android Media Store DB which doesn't support hierarchical playlists. But I need the log to see the cause. Please post Log id here as soon as it will be sent.
RzmmDX

Post by RzmmDX »

I am actually having a similar issue.

I opened MMA and it said repairing database and my ratings are gone.

I have tried sending the log over but I don't know if it worked since it happened 5 hours ago and I restarted my phone
Log ID : XY96B7BXNF

This is the second time it has happened in a month now.
Redbeard65

Post by Redbeard65 »

I am also having the same issue on a Samsung S9. It would do this about once, maybe twice a week.
MMA on a Samsung s5 and Tab S3 are working great and have been for a long time. The S9 however is having the same problem as stated above.
I went into settings->device maintenance-> battery and turned off the app power monitor a few days ago. I have not had the problem again since doing this but it has not been a week yet. My battery life does not seem to be affected by turning the app power monitor off either.
Redbeard65

Post by Redbeard65 »

I had the corruption happen last night while I was using the phone.
The phone is a Galaxy S9.
I had a message come up while I was in another app saying that MediaMonkey had stopped working. I was asked if I wanted to send a bug report to the developer which I did. The debug information should have been sent around 10:00 pm MDT on 4/4/2018. It would have come from jim.raver(at)gmail.com or jimraver(at)gmail.com.

I had been in MMA about 15 minutes before this just looking at a playlist. There was no music playing when it crashed. I was using another application at the time (Feedly).
I went into MMA immediately after sending the debug log and all media and playlists were gone. The media scanner was running (The spinning circle at the top). Songs started re-appearing as the scanner was finding them.
I then went to help->about and did the send logs command. Here is what I sent:
Log ID: T51LXZ1NKZ
Description: MMA crashed while I was not using it. just saw a crash notice while I was using the Feedly app.

This is the first time that I have been using my phone when this happened. Every other time I was not using it or playing music.
I have about 20,000 songs and 8 playlists synced to this device.
I hope this helps find the problem.
Thanks,
Jim
Redbeard65

Post by Redbeard65 »

I just had it happen again last night.
I submitted the bug report via play services.

I submitted my MMA log files.
Here is the MMA log submitted:
Log ID: BR1UIAI1A9
Description: crashed while not being used. playlists and songs are gone. media scanner is running.

Jim
Redbeard65

Playlists and metadata corrupted every week or so

Post by Redbeard65 »

About once a week MMA crashes while not even being used and takes out all of the playlists and metadata for all of the music in it.
It takes hours to run a new media scan to find the songs and playlists again after this happens. It starts the media scan on it's own when you go into the app. You do not get rating back when this happens. You cannot sync to MMW again until it is done with this scan. When you can sync to MMW again it will spend about an hour comparing the music on the phone to what is in MMW and finally start a sync. The sync is then like it would be any other time after this compare.

I have posted information about this problem in the help for MMA forum a few times in the "Playlists and Metadata corrupted every week or two" thread. (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=89447)

The device is a Samsung S9.
256G SD card
MMA version 1.3.1.0751
Pro license.
I use MMW (Gold) for syncing
I have about 20,000 songs in 10 playlists synced to the phone.

I also have another Android device with MMA that does not have this, or any other problem with MMA. That device is a Samsung Tab S3 also with a 256G SD card. The same playlists are synced to this tablet as are to the phone.

I have submitted a bug report via the pop up that comes up when an app crashes and asks if you would like to send debug information. That would have happened at 1:00 pm MDT today, 4/16/2018 under email jimraver(at)gmail.com.
I also sent logs via MMA:
Log ID: MCYZCFZKYG
Description: All playlists and metadata are gone after an app crash. was not using the app when it crashed. this happens about once a week.

I see from the thread going in the MMA help form that others are having the same problem.
I have tried disabling Samsung's device management thing that puts apps to sleep if they are inactive. This did not change anything.

Thanks for any help with this one.
Jim
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

Redbeard65 wrote:I am also having the same issue on a Samsung S9. It would do this about once, maybe twice a week.
MMA on a Samsung s5 and Tab S3 are working great and have been for a long time. The S9 however is having the same problem as stated above.
I went into settings->device maintenance-> battery and turned off the app power monitor a few days ago. I have not had the problem again since doing this but it has not been a week yet. My battery life does not seem to be affected by turning the app power monitor off either.
I have been having all kinds of trouble getting MMA to properly sync with the music/playlists on my 256GB microSD card plugged into my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge no matter the method of syncing I try to use.

See here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=89677

I'm going to give this a try to see if it helps. It seems like everyone in this discussion is having some type of problem with a newer Samsung Galaxy phone, maybe this is the problem where the app power monitor which is built into all Samsung phones is shutting down MMA and causing these type of problems where the DB gets corrupted?

Thanks for mentioning this!!!
Redbeard65

Post by Redbeard65 »

Happened again yesterday.
I have not had any response from any one at MediaMonkey.
When I posted this problem in the bugs forum it was moved back to this thread without any response.
Could someone at least email me the log files that it has been sending so I can try to figure this out myself. I don't see any logs laying around on the phone.