How many of you use the 5 star rating system

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

urlwolf

How many of you use the 5 star rating system

Post by urlwolf »

Just curious.

I barely use it, maybe to bookmark a track that is really memorable.
But it's a far cry from have my entire database rated. I wonder how many people
do this. We are talking about many thoushands of tracks...
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I only rate my best tracks (4 stars or more), but even then, I notice that only my 5 stars tracks really are rated correctly.

I feel that music impression depends to much on personal mood and stuff like that, so I don't rate much as my ratings would change every time.

Cheers
Steegy

edit: fixed typo
Last edited by Steegy on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I rate all my tracks default @ 2.5, then I rate up or down manually as the track plays, whenever I have the time/attention to do so.

There is also an auto-rate script currently in development in the script forum, to automatically increase/decrease rating by skips/plays.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Every single track of my 10,000 tracks is rated, if nothing else for sending to my iPod.

I can only fit about 1,700-2,000 tracks in my iPod, so as far as most music goes, I'll only want to send the best to the iPod via a general play list of 4 stars or better. That sends about 1,500 to the iPod.

Then I start with various artists, and I don't care about a rating as much, so for the Beatles, I may make a playlist for the Beatles at 3 stars and above, not as picky. Same is true for Bruce Springsteen and other artists, where I am willing to dig a little deeper into the well.

For specific playlists, like schmultzy love music, I might duplicate some of the other stuff, but again, might want a 3 star song to get jiggy with my lady.

I find the star system be very very important in making playlists.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
Sammy20

Post by Sammy20 »

I rate all my tracks. I start with them all labeled as 2, then adjust it from there giving songs 3,4,5. I dont use .5 anymore as the conversion to the ipod doesn't come out the way I like.

I love the rating system in MM, and the fact it saves the info to tag is very nice.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I'm in the process of rating all 32,000 of my tracks.
4 is my baseline, anything below that I don't like. I use the other classifications along with genre to help cater for varying moods or occasions.

I use an absolute bucket load of auto-playlists based on these ratings and criteria to seperate the good from the bad from the unrated.

This will take me years to do, but there is no better tool than MediaMonkey for the job, especially considering some of the scripts that have been developed for it is well.

With almost half of my 32,000 tracks rated taking nearly 3 years, it's a good thing I'm in no hurry.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i use it to keep track of what is getting played the most.

since i reset the playcounter every week,

it is nice to have the ratings keep tabs on the songs.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

So far I've rated about 4000 of my 12000 songs. It's lots of work, but I feel it's worth it. 3 is my threshold of listening. If I'm not likely to listen to a song unless I'm playing the album then I rate it at 2.5 or lower.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

MarineBrat wrote:3 is my threshold of listening. If I'm not likely to listen to a song unless I'm playing the album then I rate it at 2.5 or lower.
I should have done it this way but it's W A Y too late now. :lol:
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

It's never too late, just got the the files to edit -> unknown genre!

8)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I tend to rate whole albums. I'll listen to it, and if I like it I'll give all the tracks 4, pick a couple of favourites and give them 4.5 of 5. That kinda thing. Above half my tracks are rated at the moment, although a few more each day! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I rate all my songs. I've been at it for more then a year.

1 star: pure crap or filler/interlude songs
2 stars: pretty crappy song
3 stars: not good, not bad
4: stars: pretty good
5: favorite songs

I generally listen to autoplaylists by genres and with a rating of 5 stars.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Like others here, I did not feel like manual ratings, however valuable it might be.

With the help of little bit of logic, I manage to put together an AutoRate system, available at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &start=113

The base of the system is simple. Tolerance for a song. If you like it, you tend to play it, if you do not, you tend to skip it if it plays.

Ideal solution if you have a collection that has received little or no attention in regards to ratings.

Worth I try. Plus a TTS Radio Announcer were added as a non-default option, if you're in a playful mood.

When time allow, I would like to put together a 'Catch-up' script based on a similar logic. To run once, and the whole collection will be rated. Then the current 'live' version will keep it up to date.
danielbritt

Post by danielbritt »

ive been going through my 16000+ songs using allmusic.com. whatever rating they use i drop into the file-even if i dont agree with it. id just like a point of reference. i know what i like so if i think it sucks i might not play it often.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Say you get a new album today, you may play it a bit more often than others this week. The AutoRateSongs will take note of this and rate it for you.

Playing 'catch-up' is a bit more of a puzzle, but it is in the works.

I have found with myself that there are songs that I would like to like, but I realize I do not... All up I'm quite happy with this cruel 'natures law' kind of logic..
Last edited by DiddeLeeDoo on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.