Bugs/Requests (Media Buttons, Music Listing) [#14240]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

malkierian

Bugs/Requests (Media Buttons, Music Listing) [#14240]

Post by malkierian »

So I didn't know whether I should post a separate thread for each thing or lump them all together, but I figured the safer bet would be to do them all in one first.

My details: Windows 10 Insider builds, i5 4690k, geForce 960. (Any other details necessary?)

So, first thing I noticed when I installed MM5 (I imported the settings and library from MM4) was the shuffle play in the playlists (I wanted that so bad in MM4, I didn't know MM5 existed!). So thanks for that.

First request: in the music listing on the left hand side, where it has "All tracks", "Albums", etc. I would LOVE to be able to customize this list, first off, but second, I would LOVE to have Album Artist on there, as well. My entire library has been made around Album Artist, with individual artists reserved for collections (like Techno, where I have "Various Techno" as the album artist, and then have the song artist under "Artist"), so only having Artist to list by makes my library look like a huge mess.

Second request: proper multi-monitor/desktop support. MM4, at least, got the opening to previous monitor right, even though the overlays were on the primary monitor only, but MM5 doesn't even retain whether it was maximized. Is this because it's a portable installation, or just not implemented yet?
Along with those, also in multi-monitor support would be having options windows open on the same monitor that the player is on, and having notifications (the play/pause and song info popups) appear on the same monitor the program resides on would be great, too.

Third request: Album Info Editor. You have the multiple file properties down, but in Zune Desktop, you could right-click and edit an entire album at a time, and it would bring up a window that had all the album-common fields listed at the top, and then the list of songs underneath so you could do song-specific edits as well (this is where the difference between Artist and Album Artist really came into play). Here's a screenshot of what I mean: http://careace.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... m-info.jpg

Now, the first issue: Media buttons. When I first installed MM5 and started trying to control it, it was being wonky, so I installed another fresh MM5 without importing settings and library from MM4, but the issue persisted. Anyway, the issue right now is that the media buttons on my Dell SK-8135 keyboard are being registered twice by MM5. Now, in MM4, this would work for the most part, except when I was playing Fallout 4, where nothing was registered (this was only the case with MM4, by the way. I could still control WinAmp or WMP with the media buttons while FO4 was running, no issue). So I opened up FO4 and tried controlling MM5 with the media buttons there, and what started happening was that they all only registered once. The play next, play previous had no issues at all. My play/paush button, however, exhibited some strange behavior still. If MM5 was paused, the first press would start playback again, but if I pressed it again, it would restart the current song, and then the next press after that would pause playback, and the cycle would loop. So it's constantly "Play, Restart, Pause, Play, Restart, Pause" while in-game. No other game, so far, has displayed that behavior (for MM4 OR MM5), but I was hoping that maybe noting Fallout 4's interaction with it would help you register the proper keycodes and only those.

Now, just to test, I decided to load up DOTA 2 and test things out, and WHILE IT WAS LOADING, before it got to the main menu, it worked just fine. But then once it was running in the main menu it reverted back to registering two button presses per one physical. Then, after playing with it like that for a bit, inside DOTA, and then exiting, it stopped responding altogether. I could go to next/previous while DOTA was loading, but whether DOTA was active or not MM5 stopped playing songs completely. I got an error window, but it was gone within a few seconds, so I couldn't do anything about it. So you might be able to test things out that way, too.

Also, I just tested this, if I press the play button and bring up the Windows 10 system volume popup (where media control buttons now reside), I can use those controls to recreate what happened in Fallout 4 (with the 3-stage cycle on my Play/Pause, and single-register next/previous).

AAAAAAND then I'm playing this game on Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Gumrok/ ... ion-idle-2
I need to go to the bathroom, and so I hit play/pause without thinking. Lo and behold, it worked properly! Single button registration, and it doesn't even have the issue that FO4 or the Windows 10 media buttons did! It's Flash-based. I must admit I am thoroughly confused at this point...
Snofru

Re: Multiple Bugs/Requests (Media Buttons, Music Listing)

Post by Snofru »

I like the idea of an Album Info Editor very much!
malkierian wrote:Album Info Editor. You have the multiple file properties down, but in Zune Desktop, you could right-click and edit an entire album at a time, and it would bring up a window that had all the album-common fields listed at the top, and then the list of songs underneath so you could do song-specific edits as well (this is where the difference between Artist and Album Artist really came into play). Here's a screenshot of what I mean: http://careace.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... m-info.jpg
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

This can be done, but the MM5 crew did not make it easy or obvious.

1. Right click on any listing entry (i.e. "Music" or "Classical Music")
2. Click Configure Collections and nodes
3. Highlight the listing entry you want to modify
4. Click on the little pencil icon at the bottom of the list
5. Click Tree nodes
6. Select and de-select fields to display and not display to your heart's desire
7. OK your way back

I have no idea why they decided to make this more difficult to do in MM5 than in MM4 (in 4 step 2 takes you directly to step 6 for the listing you highlighted in step 1). Note that this will also modify the set of icons at the top of the blue squares display in the middle of the page. (Blue until you find some image to display.)
malkierian wrote: First request: in the music listing on the left hand side, where it has "All tracks", "Albums", etc. I would LOVE to be able to customize this list, first off, but second, I would LOVE to have Album Artist on there, as well. My entire library has been made around Album Artist, with individual artists reserved for collections (like Techno, where I have "Various Techno" as the album artist, and then have the song artist under "Artist"), so only having Artist to list by makes my library look like a huge mess.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Thanks for that, yarguy. You're right, it's not very intuitive, but I don't know that I would know how to make it better. The unfortunate thing is that there's no drop-down listing for Album Artist when I enable it like there is for just Artist, so it's obviously not completely fleshed out.

Just came up with a couple more requests: ability to sort albums by date added. This is a VERY low-level request, it was just something nice that Zune did that I kind of miss every now and then (it also would group songs recently added with no tag information into albums by date and time, but I don't know that that would be necessary at all).

Code: Select all

The second is to take, at least in the Album Artist list (and possibly in the Artist list, I don't know how it would scale), if an "Artist" image exists in the tags of an album attributed to said album artist, to use it on the tile display instead of just colors and letters, and if not, to use an album cover from that artist instead (for someone who was used to seeing albums all the time, I'm already used to most covers being associated with particular artists).  Maybe make it an option instead of default behavior?  I don't know.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the "Find Image" functionality for the artist and album artist listings. I would have used strikethrough for that change, but it doesn't exist on this board...

I would also like to thank the devs for making the All Tracks list remember selections on the top when using the Back and Forward view history buttons. That was going to be another request, but it's already done XD.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Just wanted to post an update on the media button problem. I was playing around with the hotkeys options, and went to change the Play/Pause media button, and I found out that MM will then exhibit the same behavior as in Fallout 4 or playing a Flash game, that being the play, restart, pause cycle, when setting it to the Play/Pause media button over and over again. Hopefully this info will help you guys figure it out.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

So, that post somehow got lost in the ether...

Anyway, I wanted to post an update that I found out that if I disabled/reassigned all the play/pause, next, previous, etc, functionality to non-media button hotkeys (therefore the media buttons are not registered ANYWHERE in the Hotkeys options window), I can still use the media buttons to control MM5, and it returns to the behavior that was being exhibited while playing Fallout 4 or a Flash game (the play, restart, pause cycle).
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

malkierian wrote:Second request: proper multi-monitor/desktop support. MM4, at least, got the opening to previous monitor right, even though the overlays were on the primary monitor only, but MM5 doesn't even retain whether it was maximized. Is this because it's a portable installation, or just not implemented yet?
Along with those, also in multi-monitor support would be having options windows open on the same monitor that the player is on, and having notifications (the play/pause and song info popups) appear on the same monitor the program resides on would be great, too.
Hi.
Windows are always opened at same position and state as where it was closed. Only window i see always shown on main screen (even when main window is on different monitor) is track info window when new track is starting to play. Even maximize state is restored correctly (for main window and other dialogs ... just tested). So it's a bug if it does not work correctly for you ... can you send me your persistent.json with some details (correct position and state etc.) at petr att mediamonkey dott com ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Sorry, the maximized issue seems to have been resolved, and I can now give more details as to the problem with remembering the monitor it was on. It seems to be a problem of the current monitor not getting saved if you go from maximized on one monitor to maximized on the other without closing MM5 in between. If I have MM5 maximized on the one monitor and bring it over to the other, in any manner (keyboard shortcuts, mouse click and drag, etc), and then immediately maximize the window and close it then, it doesn't remember the monitor change, and opens up on the previous monitor. But if I bring it over to the other monitor without maximizing it, restart it, and THEN maximize it, it will then remember the monitor change. I have to repeat the process to make it maximized on the old monitor again.

Also, seeing as how people seem to not want to approve my multi-posts, I'll add what I was going to say in here instead. I figured out, regarding the media button issues, that if I remove all references to media buttons from the Hotkeys window (meaning no hotkeys are registered to a media button), then the behavior returns to the way it was while playing Fallout 4 or a Flash game (i.e. the play, restart, pause loop), so hopefully that will help you debug that problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

malkierian wrote:So I didn't know whether I should post a separate thread for each thing or lump them all together, but I figured the safer bet would be to do them all in one first.
When in doubt read the forum rules: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=40381 separate and in existing topics if they exist.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Lowlander wrote:
malkierian wrote:So I didn't know whether I should post a separate thread for each thing or lump them all together, but I figured the safer bet would be to do them all in one first.
When id doubt read the forum rules: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=40381 separate and in existing topics if they exist.
Noted. They'll be separate from now on. As long as you guys don't mind having three or four new threads from me at a time, as bugs seem to come around in groups, not one at a time...
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Ahh i see ... will check and fix it ... thanks for your feedback ;-)
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Re Media buttons: Could you please replace your current MediaMonkeyEngine.exe by this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf7q8mu40hv9m ... e.exe?dl=0
and generate debug log (step 4b here: http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643) ?

Thanks.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Ludek wrote:Re Media buttons: Could you please replace your current MediaMonkeyEngine.exe by this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf7q8mu40hv9m ... e.exe?dl=0
and generate debug log (step 4b here: http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643) ?

Thanks.
Well, I had to let it finish inserting album art into the new database (lots of SQL insert statements on the Covers table), however, once it was done, this is what I did:

For the first log (dbgview1.log), I started it with playback paused, and didn't have any media keys referenced in the hotkeys options. I hit play/pause twice (once to play, once to restart), next, previous, and play/pause again (to pause).

For the second log (dbgview2.log), I started it with the hotkeys window open, and recorded what happened when I set Play/Pause, Next, and Previous to the corresponding media buttons.

And for the last log (dbgview3.log), I started it again with playback paused, but kept the media buttons as the registered hotkeys (as set for the previous log), and hit play/pause twice, next once, previous once, and then play/pause again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opejas113qtaj ... s.zip?dl=0

Don't know if you needed all of that or not, but I figured I'd cover everything that I could think of in the first go.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

malkierian wrote: And for the last log (dbgview3.log), I started it again with playback paused, but kept the media buttons as the registered hotkeys (as set for the previous log), and hit play/pause twice, next once, previous once, and then play/pause again.
I see, but in the log it shows that it proceeded as expected:
- first play/pause started playback of "01 Second Chapter.mp3"
- second play/pause paused the track
- next started playback of "02 Principles Of Lust [(A) Sadeness,.mp3"
- previous played again "01 Second Chapter.mp3"
- play/pause paused "01 Second Chapter.mp3"

All steps were performed as expected (based on the log), could you please describe what is the issue?
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

The problem is just as described in the initial post. I shouldn't have been able to control MM5 at all in the first log, because the media buttons weren't registered as hotkeys. and yet, it still does the play, restart, pause cycle. Restarting the song shouldn't be part of that cycle, regardless of whether the media buttons are registered hotkeys or not. But then, when I went and registered the media buttons as the appropriate hotkeys, they ALL start double-processing. That's what the third log was recording. If you look at line 93 of dbgview3.log, I think that's where the double-process was registered. That was only one button press, and yet it was shown as twice.