Time to launh MM is in excess of 2 min

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bgoodman4

Time to launh MM is in excess of 2 min

Post by bgoodman4 »

I have a sizable (about 200 gigs) mp3 collection and perhaps I will have to live with the lengthy launch time but I am hoping that something can be done to speed it up. Now, when I launch MM the program opens up to the user interface and then sits there for upwards of 2 min before the tracks are scanned and loaded. Is this a function of the size of my collection or is something else possibly going one.

I have my mp3 files stored on an external USB 3 drive and am running Win 7 Pro with a quad core and 16 mb of ram.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Lowlander

Re: Time to launh MM is in excess of 2 min

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds that either you're loading a node with a lot of files (make sure this isn't in the My Computer node) or that you have a large Now Playing. Both would affect the initial startup time.

You also may want to run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked.
bgoodman44

Post by bgoodman44 »

Thanks for the reply but I am unclear what you mean by loading a node. Could you please explain? The now playing list size has no bearing on the issue. I will run the optimization and see if that makes a difference,,,,,,thanks for the suggestion.
Donski

Post by Donski »

There are a number of things that can slow down MM when starting, here are a few more. As my collection got larger I found it well worth not having these options set all the time, I only set them when needed.

GoTo File
Add rescan files to library
Scan continuously
Scan on startup

Goto Options
General
Check for updates

OS integration
Re-associate file types on startup (this may not take all that long)

Volume leveling
Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed tracks

Downloads/Podcasts
Check for new episodes (set to manually)

But one thing that made a big difference in overall performance of MM when having a huge collection is having Windows and MM installed on a solid state hard drive, the library itself being on an SSD only improves performance slightly. My collection currently sits at 866GB.
bgoodman44

Post by bgoodman44 »

Thank you Donski, I have made some of the changes you suggested (some I had in place already). I thought my collection was getting up there but yours must be awesome. Clearly its not simply a case of collection size that is causing my slow initiation issues, I expect your suggestions will help a lot (fingers crossed). The solid state drive thing would clearly help but its not going to happen at the moment as I am using a laptop as my main PC and swapping out a 500 gig drive is a bit too expensive to do at this time.

One thing I did notice while doing the adjustments you suggested was that I have my root folder for my collection selected to be monitored but I also see that the last sub-folder in the collection is also selected to be monitored. I have no idea why this is the case as I never selected it for independent monitoring. Could this be setting up a conflict?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think there will be conflict, but you can remove the redundancy.
bgoodman44

Post by bgoodman44 »

Thanks to all who offered suggestions, my launch time is much improved and I am liking MM very much again. Much appreciated.
bgoodman44

Post by bgoodman44 »

This is the 2nd time I am trying to post a thank you to those who have assisted me with my initialization time issue. Things are much better now so thanks for the assistance. Hopefully the moderator will allow this to be posted.
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

This is now the 3rd time I am trying to post to this thread. I guess the mod does not like me.

I want to thank those who have helped resolve my problem. MM is now launching in a reasonable time frame. Many thanks for the assistance.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Thank you for the thanks.

BTW you posted as guest first two times and they in most cases request approval (automatic spam prevention setting).

Boot times a lot depend on opened TABs and their content. I once had a user that had 160 Opened tabs on Auto-playlists and MMW started 9+ Minutes. Result on 1 TAB was <30 seconds. Also It lot depends on installed scripts and library size, focused tree and Now Playing list track number.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts