Sync re-downloading files unnecessarily [#13305]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

Sync re-downloading files unnecessarily [#13305]

Post by mcow »

I tried to sync today for the first time in a couple of days. For some reason, 50-odd tracks were selected to be redownloaded. (The only unexpected downloads would be from newly added tracks, and there haven't been any in that time period.)

When I saw this, I cancelled the sync and then sent a log from MMA: MZQTXDTHD0

I'm letting it download now and it looks like the files are the most-recently played ones. This is with MMA 1.1.3.0529, MMW 4.1.10.1778.

I saw this happen once not too long ago, but didn't think about it. Not sure if that was with the same version of either MMA or MMW.
Peke

Re: Sync re-downloading files unnecessarily

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you try to use MMA 1.1.3.535 Beta?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mcow

Post by mcow »

I installed 535 shortly after it was released, but I have seen this redundant sync problem since then. It doesn't happen for every file, but when it does, it's only for tracks that have been recently played. I do occasionally set a rating in MMA, but I have seen this happen for tracks that had no change other than the last-played date.

One other thing I noticed: MP3s in my library (e.g. purchased from Amazon) which were re-sync'd were shown as "converting file" and then "downloading file", but I'm configured to convert only FLAC (to MP3).

If I see it again, I'll try to capture another log.
mcow

Post by mcow »

OK, here's a log from MMA 535, MMW 4.1.10.1778.
At the end of the sync, "Updated 40 tracks / Downloaded 5 tracks"
9MI5CGMSH9
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi mcow,

I realize this might be asking too much, but can I ask you to update MMW to the latest 4.1.11 beta, and if the problem recurs to submit another set of logs?

We're still looking into this, but it would definitely be helpful. If you're really into testing this out, an MMW log using dbgview taken at the same time would also be useful ;-)

Thanks.

-Rusty
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

According logs it looks like the tracks in MMA was downloaded when Autoconversion was not used in MMW. It looks like you started to use autoconversion (at least for these tracks) so the tracks were different and had to be redownloaded.

I can see that other metadata are correctly synced so I am quite certain. So redownloading was a correct behaviour.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I've just done tests and I can confirm bhiefer findings with one more addition.

MMW always initiate Re-download in these cases:
1. New Auto-Covert rule is applied.
2. File Info gets updated and MMW consider file as new which happen if file gets updated outside MMW and MMW monitor folder or you Re-Scan folder for updated Metadata so that FileModified or FileSize gets changed which set FileModified in MMW library.

To conclude test, this behavior looks like as designed and correct at least based on MMW 1783 and MMA 539.

@mcow: If you find MMW/MMA sync works differently for you please inform and we will retest.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
mcow

Post by mcow »

Thanks for looking into it.

I haven't changed auto-convert rules in, probably, over a year; since whenever I last needed to reset the device profile in MMW. I have always been set up to copy MP3s and to convert FLACs. I don't think I've done a rescan, but if I had, wouldn't it have caused all the old tracks to refresh, rather than only after they've been played?

I recall seeing a message about a database udpate with the first run of some version in the 1.1.3 development, and I'm guessing tracks that were already on the device at the time of the change become marked as stale once they get played (updating file info). I suppose I could just delete all the music files and resync to overcome this, but just letting the old files refresh as they get updated wastes less time. It'll only be a problem if the same files keep re-syncing.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
your MMA logs indicated that the reason was changed auto-convert state .
I wonder how you could get to the state that auto-convert rules for those tracks changed without your manual changing of the rules.

I wonder whether it could be a device profile swap that could happen in the past or something like this? Do you see more device profiles for the same device in Options -> Portable device sync ?

In any case the tracks are re-downloaded only if the auto-convert rules are changed or the file is updated somehow (as Peke confirmed by his tests).
mcow

Post by mcow »

This problem not only continues, it has gotten worse. There is definitely no change being made to the auto-convert settings.
mcow

Post by mcow »

I'm bringing this up again.

I have a new Android device, a Nexus 5X. I've installed MMA and sync'd two playlists, each full of albums: one smart (items new in past six months), one fixed.
I set up my conversion rules to have one rule: if FLAC, convert to MP3 192kbps (the standard/fast conversion option). I have not changed this rule since setting it up, two weeks ago.
Today I sync'd for the first time in a couple days. A FLAC album that I played yesterday reconverted and redownloaded.
Ludek wrote:I wonder whether it could be a device profile swap that could happen in the past or something like this? Do you see more device profiles for the same device in Options -> Portable device sync ?
No. Was not the case for the tablet, is not the case the for the new phone.
Ludek wrote:In any case the tracks are re-downloaded only if the auto-convert rules are changed or the file is updated somehow (as Peke confirmed by his tests).
Yes, the file was updated somehow: it had been played, and the last-played date and play count changed. But only that.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Mcow,

Could you do a small sync operation for which this occurs and:
- send me a link MMW debug log generated with dbgview?
- post an MMA debug log ID after the sync operation

I know that you did so in the past, but it would be helpful with the latest MMW/MMA builds.

Thanks.

-Rusty
mcow

Post by mcow »

First try, got the symptom.

MMW log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B753nU ... sp=sharing
MMA log: nhkl6sk6dz
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thank you for the logs.

We investigated the issue and there was really a bug in this area, these are the symptomps.
More details here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13305
mcow

Re: Sync re-downloading files unnecessarily [#13305]

Post by mcow »

Thanks for investigating that further.

There's a comment at that bug that shows "MMA" having been fixed as well, presumably to implement the one-off hash recalculation and prevent additional re-downloads.

If that was the intent, it did not work for me. MMW 1798 and MMA 598, still re-downloaded the last 16 tracks I'd played on MMA -- everything since the log files I supplied earlier.

But maybe I should just wipe the database and resync everything before saying it's not fixed?