Album Art Scroll [#13110]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

brooklynspo

Album Art Scroll [#13110]

Post by brooklynspo »

This one shouldn't be too hard: how about when you view (expand) the album art, the scroll wheel will be able to page you through the other pieces of art associated with a track. Right now it is a clunky back and forth, opening and closing the expanded window to get back to the Album Art listing.

I think with storage and bigger screens becoming more generally available, better handling of album art could make make listening to music with MM a more immersive experience. ...like when we used to have albums. There is a ton of great album art which simply has not made it to the digital realm up until now simply because no player has integrated a good viewer.

Along those lines - I wouldn't mind a full-screen option for viewing album art either - to maximize screen space and reduce distractions while viewing art. Maybe even a "scale" and "zoom" functions while in album art view screen. And one of those "hand" cursors which let you grab and move the art visible on screen.

Whaddya think?
Last edited by brooklynspo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eyal

Re: Album Art Scroll

Post by Eyal »

Good idea brooklynspo.
brooklynspo wrote:And one of those "hand" cursors which let you grab and move the art visible on screen.
+1

Even better: How about building the playing list on-the-fly by moving and rearranging album arts in the order we want.
Yes, with album arts also in the NowPlaying List!
The same way we do with a multi-CD player tray. While listening to music, lets add this album after that one,
and so forth.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

This one shouldn't be too hard: how about when you view (expand) the album art, the scroll wheel will be able to page you through the other pieces of art associated with a track. Right now it is a clunky back and forth, opening and closing the expanded window to get back to the Album Art listing.
Good idea.
Even better: How about building the playing list on-the-fly by moving and rearranging album arts in the order we want.
Yes, with album arts also in the NowPlaying List!
I'm so eagerly waiting for the devs to allow album arts in the now playing pane.
It's there that it's the most useful.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
brooklynspo

Post by brooklynspo »

Had another thought (not fully developed) - MM could jump to the lead by introducing some sort of standard for packaging album art - something like a pdf file which could include either just images or post-script info. I think it would be important for the MM "reader" to be simple, intuitive and immersive.

OK, maybe that's too involved...
tppytel

Scrolling through multiple art files in an album

Post by tppytel »

I found this old thread on the idea, but AFAICT it was never implemented. But it would be great to be able to easily scroll through multiple pieces of album art for a single album. I listen to mostly jazz and classical albums with lots of text-heavy liner notes that I scan to JPGs and drop in the file folder. Right now, I can right click on the album cover, choose a particular jpg, then double-click to expand it to full-size. But then I have to close the viewer and right-click again to pick the next jpg. It would be *so* much better if I could just double-click to expand, then use the mouse wheel to scroll through those files. It doesn't matter so much with pop/rock/etc albums where you're just looking at a couple of photos and brief comments. But reading longer written work is not a strictly linear process, so being able to look ahead or look back quickly in the text is important.

I would personally fund a couple of six-packs for a dev to step up and do this. It doesn't seem like it should be all that hard to implement.
MMFrLife

Re: Scrolling through multiple art files in an album

Post by MMFrLife »

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! +1!

...another related post here.
...and a particular quote by me
MMFrLife wrote:There is no corner "next" button or auto slideshow ability in the enlarged window (a feature sorely lacking). You can't link a file to a PDF for auto-opening either.
I would hope something like this would be coming in MM5 but I haven't seen it mentioned in the features listed for it in Mantis. I get the feeling the
only "obvious blow you away" things that are coming in MM5 are increased speed and a new skinning engine that I'm hoping will allow direct movement of tree nodes/collections, as opposed to the snail's pace up and down arrows found in options. Both of these things would be awesome additions/enhancements but other
"luxury" items are also highly desired. It seems far too often, new releases are about fixing things rather than implementing
something new. Parodoxically, if you are always introducing new things without constantly fixing things first, it could cause more problems.
So frustrating! :( :roll: :wink: 8)
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

@MMFrLife + Others
MM5 is most of the things you describe are true, especially as MMW 4.x is polished/stable/familiar product and it is hard to create something new and reinvent warm water.

Look at MM5 as, like if you return back 13 years, but you retain your current knowledge.

and finally yes, MM5 will be big change, but how big it will largely depend on users.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:@MMFrLife + Others
MM5 is most of the things you describe are true, especially as MMW 4.x is polished/stable/familiar product and it is hard to create something new and reinvent warm water.

Look at MM5 as, like if you return back 13 years, but you retain your current knowledge.

and finally yes, MM5 will be big change, but how big it will largely depend on users.
Thanks Peke, always a pleasure to hear from you! I completely understand. My post was an expression of frustration as well as a defense of the development/developers.
What makes sense and is logical can often be just as frustrating as that which does not/is not. I will continue to be "happily" frustrated (because MM is still the best well-rounded option out there). There is surely, at least some, hope on the horizon :wink:.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
tppytel

Post by tppytel »

If it's any easier to implement, just being able to right-click on the enlarged view and get the same image selection dialog that you do in the album art pane would be nearly as good as scrolling. But I don't know if that's any easier internally.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hmmmm, I just thought of something, how about a WALL of Album arts if you view your library in Album view and then you have MediaMonkey make them cycle randomly like screensaver?

Added as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13110
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:Hmmmm, I just thought of something, how about a WALL of Album arts if you view your library in Album view and then you have MediaMonkey make them cycle randomly like screensaver?

Added as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13110
I love the sound of that and would definitely welcome it, but I also like the idea of being able to isolate what you see to only the song, album, and/or artist
you are currently listening to and that has your attention. If there is a way to have that happen (change wall focus) to the art that is related to what is specifically being used.

Sounds something like, but not exactly, what you are saying in the mantis description.
Or, do you just mean a wall of tons of alternate images all together, similar to the already existing album cover art view?

btw, for anyone else reading this:
Years ago (maybe, around 2004-2005) I tried out a music player that had the multiple album art slideshow ability.
I can't for the life of me remember what is was. I'm thinking development on it ceased way back when. Anyway, I would love to find this and download
it just to see that feature again (even if I never really use it). I abandoned it because it wasn't in anyway as sophisticated as MM, even back then.
Does anyone remember anything like this?
😜
Peke

Re: Album Art Scroll [#13110]

Post by Peke »

Have you tried to Scroll when you show only Album Art in Art and details window?

Feel free to correct me or add and quote Mantis Bug, I'll see to add it in bug as it is still scratch in the surface and open to suggestions.
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Re: Album Art Scroll [#13110]

Post by MMFrLife »

@Peke
In the Mantis it says "album art" view. Does this mean "art view"?
Using the art vew "sounds" more complicated than the area tppytel and I
are talking about. We are talking about the Art & Details pane which is typically front cover album art
(I guess that is what you meant, though?).

also, from Mantis, you speak of cycling through images when MM is idle. What do you mean by "idle"?
Peke wrote:Have you tried to Scroll when you show only Album Art in Art and details window?
You can only choose other images one at a time. You have to repeat the right-click on pane,
quick double click to enlarge
steps for each image you want shown.

1.) So, the basic "idea" of the Art & Details pane would be: In Art and Details pane you quick double click on the primary art ([#1] in right click menu list) to enlarge.
The enlarged view will contain Left < and > right arrows to the left and right of the image near the borders, whether it is in the
initial state of enlargement or enlarged to full screen. Thus, allowing one to scroll back and forth through all the images embedded to that
particular track.

2.) The screensaver/slideshow "idea" sounds really great too.
The Focus would be determined by whether a single track or entire album is selected.
If a single track is selected, only images associated with that track are shown. If several tracks or an entire album,
only images that are in common with all the tracks selected show.

But, there needs to be some way to control the images with that approach. If you can't stop them, or view them individually
with plenty of time before moving to the next one, it would cause an issue for people who have
scanned/captured images involving any writing/reading (liner notes, reviews, etc.).

If both concepts could be implemented that would be great. If only one, then I prefer the Art & Details pane
left and right arrows idea from 1. above or something similar, like corner buttons/icons perhaps or when clicking an image (enlarged)
it moves to the next one. Although, a way to go back as well, is better for liner notes, reviews, etc.

Any of this should "preferrably" be able to be done while tracks are being listened to (which is why I have an idea but not certain what you mean
by "idle").
😜