WAV Metadata

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kvigorous

WAV Metadata

Post by kvigorous »

Hi all,
I'm trying to add some tag info to WAV files that I have so that they can be entered into keyword searchable database (by genre, name, etc). I need to be able to add metadata directly to the wav file. Does MM do this? Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes, it's supposed to be supported. Just try on one and find out if it works the way you want!
Penach010

Post by Penach010 »

i have tried to get tag information for WAV and it seems to work. However, when i leave mediamonkey and come back, the files lose their album art but keep their information from the id3 tag. Also, when i look at the files in explorer, they dont have the tag information in the files. they are also still shown as creative mediasourse files (my old player). I have no idea how to fix this either
JaneanJ

Re: WAV Metadata

Post by JaneanJ »

This thread is more than 10 years old, but I'm now having that same problem. I need the WAV lossless format and now memory is so affordable that I can make as many WAVs as I need. But ripping CDs in Media Monkey didn't give me viewable metadata in Windows Explorer (7). So I ripped them via WMedia Player, but now of course changing any of the meta data via Media Monkey makes the meta data disappear in Windows Explorer. Is there a plug-in that lets MM create meta data that Windows Explorer can read?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

WAV has poor metadata support which is why you're seeing interoperability issues. This hasn't changed and is the reason why many choose other lossless formats like FLAC. There is no way to change how MediaMonkey writes tags: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

100% change to FLAC if your devices can play them. Convert them in situ - may take a while but it will save you a load of space and the process is damn easy with MM. FLAC is a more thoroughly designed music format as opposed to wav's basic approach, which is not really supposed to support tagging etc..
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I'm having problems with MediaMonkey reading metadata in .wav files. MM seems to read the data differently, depending on format, so:

ID3V2 ANSI v2.3 tags
MM picks up Title, Artist, Album, Date Track Number, Genre. Does not pick up Composer and Album Artist is wrong (uses Artist)

ID3V2 UTF8 v2.4 tags
As above for ANSI, except MM does not pickup Date

ID3V2 UNICODE v2.3 tags
Doesn't pickup anything as far as I can tell. MM tries to derive Title, etc from the filename

I can see the .wav metadata in e.g. Kid3 and the metadata is used correctly in all 3 cases (ANSI, UTF8 and UNICODE) by my Synology NAS Media Player, just can't see it in MM.

I'm using EZ CD Audio Converter to generate the .wav files. Kid3 edits the metadata, but MM doesn't seem to be able to.

Is there anyway I can get MM to display the metadata correctly and preferably edit it in the .wav file?

I know this thread is old, but better to keep all this together than start a new thread (and I don't want to use .flac)
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

As many threads in various MM forums have pointed out, wav is a poor container for metadata. It wasn't designed with metadata in mind - who ever heard of that in 1991 anyway - and so what there is is just patched together and the various patches (there are at least 4) aren't necessarily compatible with each other. In other words, there is no wav metadata standard. FLAC is a much better solution - it's lossless, almost always takes less space, and supports standard metadata using the same standard as MP3.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ID3 is a standard for MP3. As said already WAV has poor tagging support, what MediaMonkey uses is described here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0