Plex vs MMW vs Emby

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

Plex vs MMW vs Emby

Post by dtsig »

I am trying out Plex because I continue to have problems with dlna/autoconversion with MMW and it doesn't seem this is going to be .. enhanced in mmw.

I am hoping to get some input from users of Plex on its features and its missing bits. This isn't a place to rag on MMW which i think overall is the superior library.

My first load of movies really took a long time (3K+ files) and Plex is very particular the format of the titles. I have yet to try tv eps and really worry that that will be a problem in naming convention.

Look forward to other users of both ..
Last edited by dtsig on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
nohitter151

Re: Plex vs MMW

Post by nohitter151 »

I do not use Plex but I do use Emby. I am extremely impressed with Emby and it's availability on other platforms, and the ease-of-use.

I have not tried Plex, but as I understand it is very similar to Emby. Emby is open-source, which is why I decided to try that first over Plex.

I am still using MMW and MMA to manage my music but for video (TV and movies), Emby is really shining.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Thanks nohitter151 .. i'll take a look at it. I think I am going to have to make some change for playing video and really don't want to change a lot of files (to import) then find it is missing this or that ..
I think MMW will be my library / tag editor for the vids but a player .. especially out of the local network would be very cool
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
jiri

Post by jiri »

FYI, we hope that MM5 will better cover this types of needs, with improved sharing options, including over internet.

Jiri
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

jiri wrote:FYI, we hope that MM5 will better cover this types of needs, with improved sharing options, including over internet.

Jiri
I look forward to it .. i really would like to have one library to worry about <G>
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Re: Plex vs MMW vs Emby

Post by dtsig »

Just loaded Emby it brought in the first half of the movies in much less time than Plex .. probably 4-5 hours faster on same box.
Poking around as can ..
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

One big feature missing in MMW and in Emby and i think Plex .. Resume. At any one point, while streaming, MMW should know how much has been sent (not necessarily how much has been watched) .. and this should allow Resume option to be available.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Resume is available in Plex (with its clients at least). I use Plex clients and this is remembered, but then you're using a complete eco-system solution.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

And I understand some things are easier with app<->app environment. Maybe it is time for MMW to think about creating an app (wait they have mma) which could connect to the server other than dlna ..
This is just one of those things that make other apps more .. desirable ..
I love MMW for the power and the flexibility .. I just hate the idea of having 2 main apps for the media. And Change something in MMW and Emby/Plex knows nothing ..
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

dtsig wrote:One big feature missing in MMW and in Emby and i think Plex .. Resume. At any one point, while streaming, MMW should know how much has been sent (not necessarily how much has been watched) .. and this should allow Resume option to be available.
Emby does allow for this, but you have to use an Emby app (or the webview). As far as I understand UPnP/DLNA doesn't allow this.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.