Is it possible to rate a track from UPNP MMW client ?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

nonob

Is it possible to rate a track from UPNP MMW client ?

Post by nonob »

Hi,
When i listen to my music shared from MMW Upnp server, i can't rate it on MMW upnp client. Is there a way to allow it or is it a Upnp potocol limitation ?
If it isn't possible with Upnp, what do you recommend ?

i think there is these solutions :
Use MMA to play music on the renderer MMW upnp "client", so i can rate music directly on my phone.
Use a mmw shared database ?

Thanks
Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
Lowlander

Re: Is it possible to rate a track from UPNP MMW client ?

Post by Lowlander »

No, DLNA is just a streaming protocol, it doesn't allow for editing.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Thanks.

What do you recommend as solution to listen to my MMW server on another computer (lan) and with rating possibility ?
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I personally use a single PC with single unshared DB for most my editing. Occasionally I'll correct a tag on MMA and sync this back to MMW. Everything else streams (DLNA) or syncs (MMA/iOS) from this single DB. (DB integrity/Play History/AutoPlaylists are important to me).

A shared DB could work, but network sharing a DB will result in slower operations (as network is slower than local drive) and may result in conflict (if multiple PCs access DB at same time): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... nvironment

You don't necessarily need to share the DB if you're just concerned about tagging (it would be easier if you're concerned about Play History and/or Playlists as well). You can tag files on any PC and then rescan on other PCs to see the changes.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Lowlander wrote:I personally use a single PC with single unshared DB for most my editing.
Me too.
Occasionally I'll correct a tag on MMA and sync this back to MMW.
Yes, it's possible but it is not convenient : the only edit i have to do is change rate. When i'm listening to my music on another PC (not my mmw main pc), i would change rating of track playing, and this isn't possible with MMW client connected to MMW server. I fi want to use my phone to rate the playing song on my PC, i have to make a search of the song..., it's a long process..

One solution could be to use my phone to listen my music with MMA, but with rendering on my PC to have the sound output on my speakers.
I could also use only my phone and use its jack output, but when i'm working on my PC, i prefer to use it to listen music and let my phone "not used" for music (even more when i'm working and could receive calls).
A shared DB could work, but network sharing a DB will result in slower operations (as network is slower than local drive) and may result in conflict (if multiple PCs access DB at same time): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... nvironment
I ever used a shared database bit it is more complex to install on each client, and i lose the advantage of UPNP..
You don't necessarily need to share the DB if you're just concerned about tagging (it would be easier if you're concerned about Play History and/or Playlists as well). You can tag files on any PC and then rescan on other PCs to see the changes.
I don't understand, what do you mean exactly : if i listen to a track on my MMW "client" connected to my "MMW UPNP server" and want to rate this track, i can't change its "tag" (rate), it is the prupose of this topic, isn't ?

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, each MMW can have it's own DB and only the media files are shared. Edits can then be done on any PC, others will have to rescan to see edits.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Ok, i understand, you mean i should add as watched folder on my MMW client, a SMB shared folder located on my distant mmw PC ?

I didn't think to this solution ;) , actually i have MMW client used only with shared media server.

thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, sharing just the media will still do the trick if all MMWs are being updated regularly. However as mentioned you loose things like Playlists (particularly AutoPlaylists) and Play History).
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi,

I found that i can use the node "network" and listen to my music shared from smb. I can rate tracks without the need to add tracks to the local library, but when i start MM, it is more complicated to navigate to the smb folder (Microsoft\Workgroup\PC1\..Etc...) than if tracks were added to local library..

I have an idea :
I listen to my music from upnp client and when i want to rate a song, i can use my mmremote android app connected to my mmw server, and display "50 last listened songs". From here i can rate tracks :)
nonob

Post by nonob »

Lowlander wrote:No, DLNA is just a streaming protocol, it doesn't allow for editing.
Today i try the Mediamonkey Windows "Modern app" and i'm surprised to be able to rate track i listen from my MMW UPNP server !?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll find that the file on the server isn't modified. MM8 is not maintained at the moment and a beta product.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Ok :)