Syncing between device and two PCs. (MMW and PowerAMP)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

lordbear

Syncing between device and two PCs. (MMW and PowerAMP)

Post by lordbear »

My long term goal is to set up seamless syncing between my desktop PC, phone and laptop.

So far, I've only ever synced from computer TO phone. Never reverse.
Currently, there are playlists on the phone that I want to *move* to the desktop (not only are the one on the phone more current, the desktop has NONE--they are gone somehow).
Problem is, I'm concerned that there are inconsistencies in filenaming between the three systems such that syncs will create a (worse) mess *and* that playlists will not work. (I'd love to have *portable* playlists with relative paths)

When syncing to a portable device there is a path/file mask in Options--to allow a different folder structure and filename on the device. I've only ever synced from computer to device, never in the reverse. How does this work?

I can see that as a result of syncing, without having first looked at Options and realizing that it defaults to a different filename mask, I now see my filenames on the device are different. This is undesirable--I'd prefer to have the same filename mask on all three machines--this allows me to manually copy files between them. If I update the mask and re-sync, will it go and rename all the files for me on the device?

If I enable two-way sync, does the sync actually rename files (as it transfers them from device to computer) or does it somehow recognize that the file being handled is the same (even with a different folder structure and somewhat different filename) and only makes changes as needed? E.g., I actually change something in target file like the Song Title or ID3 tags?

Similarly, I wonder how Playlists are handled. Clearly the PATH is different between device and PC. Is the sync rewriting the M3U files on the fly or what?

Lastly, I realize that it's potentially a lot of work, and rife with likely problems, to try to keep two PCs and a device all working together smoothly. Partly because the two PCs need to be configured pretty much identically (right?). Fortunately, I have identical folder structures; e.g.; C:\Users\Bear and C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey on both. However, I find it very challenging to try to make that work by manually editing the Options on each machine. I realize that ONE way to deal with some of this may involve various permutations of using the Backup script addon and or manually copying DB, .INI and other files. I'm willing to revisit those methods.

Thanks in advance,
Bear