MM can't access application folder [#13030]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

lkraus

MM can't access application folder [#13030]

Post by lkraus »

I'm getting an error on every launch of MMA 1.1.3.508 after re-starting my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.1.2 - latest available version).
Image2015-11-27 11.21.58 by Larry Kraus, on Flickr

The trouble began prior to 1.1.3.0502 update but I did not have time to investigate until now. I uninstall by using Android application manager to delete data, uninstall MMA and MMA Pro, use Solid Explorer to remove all MediaMonkey folders and all media folders, and then reboot the phone. I have then re-installed from beta and non-beta Play store versions as well as side-loading the current test build. After re-installing, MMA works until the phone is powered down and re-started, at which point I get the error message again. Pressing "OK" returns me to my home screen. It does not matter if I've transferred music to the phone or not, the error occurs on a bare installation.

Any suggestions?
bobwal

Re: MM can't access application folder

Post by bobwal »

i have exactly same problem. if i uninstall mmpro will i lose my pro status. do i have to input a new key or something. i hope i am making sense. whats the best solution , many thanks
bobwal

Post by bobwal »

ok so i uninstalled medimonkey but kept mediamonkey pro. rebooted phone and then reinstalled mm app from play store. so far everything seems to be working. hope this helps
lkraus

Post by lkraus »

Installed older test builds,, uninstalling between versions, working back to 1.1.3.0496 release. Now seems to be working OK, even after three phone re-starts and re-installing Pro license and loading music to extSdCard via USB. Seems odd that the failure to load is attributed to a buggy Android version when I've had no similar trouble with any other apps since that version came out in 2013.
Ben425

Post by Ben425 »

Thank god I'm not the only one going through this. I'm getting the same message on my Blu Advance 4.0 phone. This bug only started when I upgraded to MM ver 1.1.3.0502.

These error messages only happen when my phone is turned off or restarted, but the bug won't occur every time. I'd understand if this bug happened after each phone reboot, but it's even more confusing that it doesn't.
bettertthan74

Post by bettertthan74 »

I get this message about once a week for the last few months. I have to uninstall - reboot and reinstall to get it working again. If I just did a sync I lose that status and it reverts back to the last sync I ran.

I am on android 5.1.1 now but was seeing this on my last rom which was 5.01
Samsung Note 8
Android 9
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the feedback. We're tracking this at http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13030

btw, for any reports, it would be helpful if you let us know:
- What device you're using
- What version of Android
- Whether uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing solves the problem

Thanks.

-Rusty
lkraus

Post by lkraus »

Quoting my original post:
lkraus wrote:I'm getting an error on every launch of MMA 1.1.3.508 after re-starting my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.1.2 - latest available version)...
..The trouble began prior to 1.1.3.0502 update but I did not have time to investigate until now. I uninstall by using Android application manager to delete data, uninstall MMA and MMA Pro, use Solid Explorer to remove all MediaMonkey folders and all media folders, and then reboot the phone. I have then re-installed from beta and non-beta Play store versions as well as side-loading the current test build. After re-installing, MMA works until the phone is powered down and re-started, at which point I get the error message again. Pressing "OK" returns me to my home screen. It does not matter if I've transferred music to the phone or not, the error occurs on a bare installation.
In order to use MMA, I sideloaded older test versions, working backward until I found that release 1.1.3.0496 would survive a phone reboot. I resigned myself to avoiding any updates.

This worked for about ten days, at which time I got the "cannot access application folder" message again. Interestingly, using the 1x2 widget, I could play the last loaded song. Any attempt to launch the main menu produced the error.

I cleaned off 1.1.3.0496 and loaded beta 1.1.3.0523, it survived three restarts. Updated to beta 1.1.3.0525 when it appeared on Google Play this evening, it has survived one reboot.
Fingers crossed...
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi all,

We're able to replicate the problem on two of our devices, but in our testing the bug does _not_ occur after rebooting the device. In fact, it's quite the opposite--rebooting the device solves the problem. To explain:

As far as we know, the problem occurs because some process associated with a mediamonkey folder continues running even after the mediamonkey process has terminated. Then, when a new instance of mma is installed and run (e.g. after an update or re-install), the new process attempts to associate with the same folder, triggering a crash. So in our experience the problem only occurs when installing mma on a device that previously had MMA installed and running, and that hasn't been rebooted since mma was uninstalled/terminated. Rebooting the device causes android to release the non-existent pid, so that installing and running a fresh version of mma works correctly.

So can I ask: are you certain that you can replicate the bug by running mma, rebooting the device, and then attempting to run mma again? To me it seems more likely that the bug was triggered by a background update to MediaMonkey that occurred after mma had been run (and that the device reboot occurred prior to both running MMA and the update).

Thanks.

-Rusty

p.s. More details of our test results appear here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13030 . Please comment if you have anything to add. Also, here's the Android issue that we believe is the root cause: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1397 ... y-file-sys