S5: SD Card not accessible for USB (or Wi-Fi sync)

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Adrian69

S5: SD Card not accessible for USB (or Wi-Fi sync)

Post by Adrian69 »

mma just upgraded to 1.1.3.0499 on a Samsung Galaxy S5
mmw is current at 4.1.9.1764 running Windows 7

MMW still can't see the device is connected via USB. It's been like this for the last 2 builds, everything sync'd prior to that still seems to accessed by MMA correctly, it's just syncing to the SD card that remains an issue. Tried wi-fi syncing as well, and it can't find the sync server at all.
rusty

USB Sync failure

Post by rusty »

Andrian69,
It sounds as if the issue you're experiencing isn't an SD card problem, but rather that your S5 isn't being recognized by MMW. We haven't made any changes in this area of the code, so I expect that the fact that it occurred with recent builds is just coincidence.

A couple of questions:
1) Does this still occur after you reboot your device? (it's possible that the windows MTP drivers have gotten 'stuck')
2) Is your device recognized by Windows i.e. do you see it in Windows Explorer ? If not, then it's a problem with the underlying MTP drivers on your machine. In that case, I'd suggest trying a Wi-Fi sync.

-Rusty

p.s. I'm going to split this into a new topic, since it seems unrelated to the SD card / permissions problem.
Adrian69

Re: 1.1.3.0491: Grant access to SDcard not working [#12918]

Post by Adrian69 »

Thanks for replying Rusty. I'd already tried rebooting my S5 a few times with no change at all in the S5 being recognised, windows 7 sees both the phone and SD card connected to my PC, but MMW doesn't see the SD card at all no matter what I've tried so I doubt it's a issue with drivers on my machine. I've been unable to get wifi syncing working either and at present can't get MMA to get past the select sync server stage. I've also double checked MMA's internal settings for access to the SD card haven't changed. So at present I'm at a loss as to what else to try.

Adrian
rusty

Re: S5: SD Card not accessible for USB or Wi-Fi sync

Post by rusty »

Hi Adrian,

It sounds like MMA/MMW might be using a new sync profile for the SD card and that it isn't set to be active. Please have a look at the following article, in particular the section on 'Sync Profile' configuration:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e/View/237

Can you let me know whether activating the appropriate sync profile helps?

Thanks.

-Rusty

p.s. an alternative approach would be to do a clean install of MediaMonkey for Android, and try syncing from scratch. This involves:
- uninstalling MMA
- deleting the /MediaMonkey directory from the SD card and internal memory
- deleting the sync profiles associated with the device from MMW
Adrian69

Post by Adrian69 »

Hi Rusty,

MMW didn't have any duplicate sync profiles at all, just the usual 2 for the phone and SD card. I have the internal phone profile unticked as i only sync content to the sd card normally and I've double checked the SD card profile settings are all correct. I also followed the instructions on setting MMA permissions, as far as i could see nothing has changed. I'll try a fresh install over the weekend and will report back if that fixes things.

Adrian.
arachnophilia

Post by arachnophilia »

rusty wrote: p.s. an alternative approach would be to do a clean install of MediaMonkey for Android, and try syncing from scratch. This involves:
- uninstalling MMA
- deleting the /MediaMonkey directory from the SD card and internal memory
- deleting the sync profiles associated with the device from MMW
same issue, same phone, same version numbers. i can get WIFI sync to work, but WIFI sync is suboptimal for me because of the low res album art issue.

if i do the above procedure, what happens with my library? i'm not sure where MMA stores the library information, and i've got kind of a complicated problem. i have a lot of tracks with multiple artists, and mediamonkey seems to rely on the library information to keep them as separate artists, while obeying the ID3 standards for "artis1/artist2/artist3" in the tags. meaning, if i lose the library information, i either have to resync everything, or i end up with tracks labeled "artist1/artist2" as an artist, not showing up under "artist1" or "artist2" when MMA rescans and builds the library from the tags.

obviously with sync not working, this is rather suboptimal.
Erekose

Post by Erekose »

I also have this problem :evil:
Adrian69

Re: S5: SD Card not accessible for USB (or Wi-Fi sync)

Post by Adrian69 »

Just tried the newly released MMW 1765 & MMA 500 builds. They've definitely done something, but mostly something peculiar. MMW shows both SD card and the Internal phone storage, but what should be the SD Card has the size details of the phone listed instead of the 64gb SD Card with the correct amount of used file space at the bottom of the dialogue box. I went ahead and started the sync anyway to see where files would end up, had a warning pop up about not enough space for files to be copied, but proceeded past that anyway to see where they'd be transferred to and they did indeed go to the phone not the SD card.

I'll try deleting profiles from MMW and uninstalling MMA tomorrow and see if a fresh install makes a difference.

Adrian.
Adrian69

Post by Adrian69 »

Had a bit of free time and just uninstalled MMA, wiped all files and deleted profiles from MMW. Now only the internal phone storage is showing up, no SD card. But at least all the info for the Phone seems to be correct this time round. Whatever the issue is with SD cards doesn't seem to have been resolved, at least for me anyway.

Adrian.
rusty

Post by rusty »

For users who can't sync to the SD Card over Wi-Fi sync, build 501 has just been posted.

We're still looking into the USB sync issue.

Thanks.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

A new beta build of MMW has just been posted that resolves failure of MMW to recognize the SD card for USB synchronization:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 55#p416353

Please let us know if it works for you. Thanks.

-Rusty

Post by Guest »

Hi Rusty,

Just to let you know that the latest build has restored access to the SD card. Synced everything fine for me, the only niggles were no ratings appear in MMA and one track transferred with oriental characters in Title, artist, album & genre fields. It was just the one track and was near the beginning of the sync process. I checked MMW had all the correct ID3 Tag info. Everything in MMW was correct, just in MMA only. The only thing that might have caused an issue was there were accents over some characters in all fields except genre (Amara Touré for example). While ratings back would be good, I'm just grateful syncing is back up and running. If you need an extra information let me know.

Adrian.
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Guest wrote:Hi Rusty,

Just to let you know that the latest build has restored access to the SD card. Synced everything fine for me, the only niggles were no ratings appear in MMA and one track transferred with oriental characters in Title, artist, album & genre fields. It was just the one track and was near the beginning of the sync process. I checked MMW had all the correct ID3 Tag info. Everything in MMW was correct, just in MMA only. The only thing that might have caused an issue was there were accents over some characters in all fields except genre (Amara Touré for example). While ratings back would be good, I'm just grateful syncing is back up and running. If you need an extra information let me know.

Adrian.
Can you please send a log from MMA right after the USB sync finishes? Go to About->Send logs and post log id here. Thank you.
Adrian69

Post by Adrian69 »

Hi,

Just updated to the 502 build before i read this post. The one track that had asian characters resynced correctly. It was the only file that did sync as nothing has been changed since my last sync and funnily enough is now the only track that has a rating showing. So whatever issue I had with 501 seems to have been fixed now. Is there any way to get missing ratings to resync without having to delete all files and resync from scratch. I did upload a log anyway, the reference no is: BIZPETF3OX Hope that helps.

Adrian.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Adrian,

Re. the missing ratings, I'm not sure what happened, though I suspect that the usb sync operation (specifically the portion of the operation in which the database is updated) may have failed :-(

You can test this out by enabling (in the sync profile), the options to delete _all_ tracks/playlists that aren't on the sync list. If your next sync operation deletes the tracks that have been synced, it would be indicative of a failed sync and MMW will attempt to resync them.

-Rusty