Taking forever to sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Dan33185

Taking forever to sync

Post by Dan33185 »

I am syncing with a Galaxy S4, and MM has been stuck on "removing old content" at the same progress for about 1/2 hour. Is this normal? Seems like it should be done by now.
Lowlander

Re: Taking forever to sync

Post by Lowlander »

MTP drivers are often the problem with a USB sync. Wifi sync using MMA often works faster (despite slower connection).

Note that killing Explorer.exe in the Task Manager during slow USB scanning/sync may speed up the sync.
terryo

Post by terryo »

Lowlander wrote:
MTP drivers are often the problem with a USB sync. Wifi sync using MMA often works faster (despite slower connection).
Note that killing Explorer.exe in the Task Manager during slow USB scanning/sync may speed up the sync.

My system behaves exactly as described, right down to killing Explorer to speed it up. Why hasn't this hang been fixed? I'm regularly syncing between 4,000 and 6,000 songs and using wireless is too slow.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

terryo wrote:Why hasn't this hang been fixed?
Don't know, had the same problem with other programs or just Windows Explorer itself. Not sure if the problem lies with Windows (several versions have this for me) or the device drivers (some devices seem to work better than others). For file transfers I've moved to wifi as well as MM sync works so well over wifi.
terryo

Post by terryo »

WiFi works quite well and might be nice for casual users, but churning 6000+ songs on my card and weekly syncing, it it waaaay too slow.

If you know something about Explorer in Windows hangs it up all the time, why can't this be fixed?
Shudushi

Post by Shudushi »

Lowlander wrote:MTP drivers are often the problem with a USB sync. Wifi sync using MMA often works faster (despite slower connection).

Thank you! You saved my ass, man.

My MediaMonkey always stopped sync at "removing old content" (it hangs for >1 hour without any change), no matter which device I used (Android 4.4.2 on Samsung Galaxy S5 and Samsung Note 10.1 - 2014; Windows 7 x32).

Killing "Explorer.exe" and restarting it solves the problem!
terryo

Post by terryo »

Kill/restore explorer seems heavyhanded, but it works. I use this trick:

http://www.howtogeek.com/198815/use-thi ... n-windows/
pizdaTebe

Post by pizdaTebe »

Impossible!
4 years passed (yes, now 2019) and I suffer same problem on Windows 10 and Note 9!

Wow - so bad and not stable SW!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... tion-fails

I guess not enough people complain to the device manufacturers about their MTP drivers.