filename got renamed (somehow)!!!

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

filename got renamed (somehow)!!!

Post by Guest »

Hello,

somehow, hundreds of my mp3s' filenames were renamed to incorrect songs!!! The id tags are correct, but the filenames are those of other songs?!??!

I do not use any other player or mp3 tagging program.

Is it possible that MM has auto-tagging feature and did this?

thanks,
Michael
jiri

Post by jiri »

No, MM definitely doesn't do any renaming until it is explicitely told to do so - by Tools|Auto-rename files. However, if you have any more information, we can try to find out which application is responsible for this...

Jiri

Post by Guest »

Hmmm.
thanks for responsding.
I don't know how it happened. Auto-rename apparently only executes on the currently selected files, right?

I don't use any other programs for mp3s....

If all my tags are correct, what is the fastest way to rename all of the filenames? Should I select all and run auto-rename?

thanks,
Michael
Lowlander

Yep

Post by Lowlander »

Auto rename from tags is the best way. Just make sure you configure how the files should be named. This is possible in the dialog that pops up when the function is started.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

to answer your question of how it happened ?

i found in naming the tags on a cdrom i was ripping that i hit a button to the right of the title area and all the titles were named the same as the track one was changed to. did you possible hit that same button beside the file name? if so it might have changed all the songs that were selected to the same one you had in the tag editor?

if that is not how it happened i am at a loss? sorry.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
annon

me too

Post by annon »

this happened to me too. Hundreds of misnamed files. I did to autorename files. I think that's when it happened, but am not sure. Here are the specifics...
1. Some files are correct. (tags + filenames)
2. All the tags are correct.
3. The errenious filenames are all 'correct' renamed songs - but they are the wrong songs.
4. If I choose auto-rename again, it says another song already has that filename, and asks if I want to overwrite it (obviously I don't)
5. It appears that the new songs are wrong (which I havn't auto-renamed). I'll

I'm going to try a different naming convention to auto-rename (which should eliminate #4), then rename again with the default Artist - Title...

Ok, I did that, and it worked. I had a ton of 'filename is too long for CD' errors, which doesn't let me ignore it... A person should be allowed to rename files to however long they want (as long as the OS supports). I don't care about CD tracknames, you need a sony player for that anyways (and who cares about CD text).

AAARRRGGGG.

This is a very bad bug. I was crushed when I found out.
llwb

Re: me too

Post by llwb »

annon wrote: (and who cares about CD text).
I do. Alot.

llwb
rusty

Post by rusty »

Anon,

When you experienced the problem with auto-rename, were you using MM 2.1? If yes, any additional info, e.g. what mask you were using, would be helpful.

Also, MM 2.1 _does_ allow you to 'ignore' the warning for filenames that are renamed to > 64 characters. When it tells you that the filename > 64 character CD limit and asks whether you want to edit the filename, just click 'No to all'.

-Rusty
Annon

re

Post by Annon »

Rusty: I'm sorry I can't give much more detail. I am and was using MM2.1 (build 1.596).

I just installed the program, and was checking out the features (curiosity killed the cat, bla bla bla).

I found it curious that some (all?) of my old songs were correct - just newer songs that I added after installing MM were bad. Before I did my fix I added some more songs and checked if they were being corrupted during import, which they were not (they were all correct). I also checked out some of the corrupted songs in winamp - their tags were correct but filenames were wrong (as indicated with MM).

The naming convention I use is Artist - Title (default).

I'd suggest putting this bug on the backburner untill more definitive info can be obtained. The fix I used worked well, so it's not irreversible - just tell people with this bug to use my fix.

If I were to guess (and this is a wild guess), I'd say the error was caused by:
1. Duplicate Entries in DB
2. Poor logic for file verification during open/write
a. Possibly an error occured in either the file handling or DB query and a poor error handler didn't 'rollback' or reset changes.

Ok enough guessing, any dev could make bettter guesses than I.

I wanted to save a csv or Exel to look at and submit to the devs, but alas, I don't have the Gold version. It would have been interesting to try to find a pattern.

And as far as CD text - Yes rusty, I did choose No (Do you want to edit the filename?). I guess the wording was confusing. Yes, I do want to change (edit) the filename, but I don't want to restrict myself to 64 chars.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

64 characters is the default limit for 99% of the cdburning programs out there. and that has to be chosen to be used by going into their options and telling it to.

you say you name your song files as the artist and then the song.?

that is not needed to be done you can just name them all to the song title and then use mm to move them to a new folder mm will move the songs for you and if you set the options right in mm it will put the songs in folders named by the artist name.

so you would have jailhouserock.mp3 at the local url of lets say?
" C:/my song files/elvis presley/jailhouserock.mp3 "

that will free up some of the 64 charactors for the song titles so you can have the full name on some of them large titled songs. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Character limit!

Post by Peke »

RovingCowboy:

Most of the programs can change 64 Chr limit to 128 chr Limit (As Used on NT) like nero and all roxio softwares.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

thanks i am not a programer i did not know they had made them do that.:D

i mostly use old drive back up apps to burn cd's with and know that you have to pick the juli.... number way of ms. in those, old buring programs.

i use them old ones cause i am use to them i never have used jukeboxes to burn with. excpet i tried music match one time. it messed up my hardware so much i had to buy a new cdrom drive. no it was 3 to 5 yrs ago it did that.. i have not used it since.

i use mm for the ripping and data base and playing but i use other programs for doing some other stuff.

every since mjb started messing up i stopped using all in one things for everything.

got this media monkey though and like it so i use it for most stuff. 8)
Peke

Post by Peke »

thanks i am not a programer i did not know they had made them do that.
No problem, I know that. In most of those programs there is only need to change Disk properties to write NT File Names instead Standard Win 9x. BTW now you know :wink:

I Never used MJB and never will when I heard about it I have rated it with poor and never even look at it.

Like you I do not like all in one but MM is something different :D
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
quitadamo

Back Up Your Files

Post by quitadamo »

I learned my lesson with Music Match.

It's far too esay to rename lots of songs with a tag editor.

Now I back up once a week to an external USB/HD.

8)