Changing file type deletes file

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bdb484

Changing file type deletes file

Post by bdb484 »

I'm running into a sporadic problem where MMW appears to be deleting files when I change the file type. It retains the entry in the database and changes which node the entry appears in, but the file is deleted from the computer.

So when I import a new episode of the Walking Dead, it's automatically tagged as "Video." I change that to "TV," and when I move to the TV node, the entry is there, but the link is dead, and a search of my entire C drive turns up nothing as does a search of the Recycle Bin.

It doesn't happen every time, but it's often enough to be a real pain in the ass.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, or in the alternative, how I can at least direct MMW to send things to the Recycle Bin rather than deleting them entirely?

I'm running MMW 4.1.6.1736 on Windows 7 (64-bit) on an Alienware M18X.
bdb484

Re: Changing file type deletes file

Post by bdb484 »

Upon further analysis of my missing files, it looks like the problem may be coming from the simple act of MMW moving a file -- whether that's because the filename changed, or the path, or anything else -- rather than just from changing the file type.

This makes it a little less bizarre, I suppose, but also a bit more dangerous.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is Tools > Options > Auto-Organize enabled?
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

It is.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it is likely the cause of file moving (and if you do have file loss the loss of files) and not the Type change (I haven't lost files that way).

Do you have file loss or are they moved and unlinked from the Library entry?
bdb484

Post by bdb484 »

The files are lost. They are not in the original location, they are not in the expected destination folder, and a full search of my C drive fails to find them using the expected filename.

Again, this does not usually happen, but I make enough edits to the database that it happens frequently.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's really bad. I suggest you capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69