Can't rate tracks on MMA via MMW DNLA

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

richiefinger

Can't rate tracks on MMA via MMW DNLA

Post by richiefinger »

I've just installed MMA pro 1.0.7.0311 on my HTC M8. Synced up to MMW 4.1.5.1719 on W8.1 laptop.
Everything seems to work OK except for the lag and two stutters at the start of every track??
When I play a track and view it in the Now Playing tab in MMA I click on the artwork and it brings up the rating.
I can not change the rating?
Am I missing something , Is this possible?
I'm synced to the MM Library rather than MM server. Is there a difference?

My sync location is on the SD card on the HTC
My UPnP download location is also on the SD card. Don't know if that makes a difference?

Rating tracks whilst not at the host pc and remote control of MMW would be my two main uses for MMA.
Lowlander

Re: Can't rate tracks on MMA via MMW DNLA

Post by Lowlander »

That's not possible as DLNA doesn't provide editing.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

So is there a way to rate tracks on my host pc from an Android phone whilst hearing the tracks on the phone??
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not with MMA, with MMA you'd need to sync the files to the phone, then rating is possible and on re-sync tag changes are synced back (if enabled in MMW).

You may want to check if MM Remote can do what you seek.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

MM Remote rates OK but the tracks only play from the host pc, they don't play over the phone.

Is rating the host library going to be looked at in the future or is it not possible.

It's the only reason I need MMA apart from remote control. I know thats been asked for by several people.

If not I'll have to ask for a refund as I just listen to random tracks and rate them, I've no interest in syncing media to the phone itself.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know as the DLNA standard has no provisions for tagging, it's just a streaming protocol. It doesn't mean that the developers may not creating something custom to do this.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

OK thanks for info
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Slightly off topic but may be relevant to anyone else looking here.

Is anyone aware of a portable Android media player / phone / ipod type device with a large capacity ie 500gb / 1TB.
I've seen the hacked ipod classics on ebay that have been upgraded from 160gb to a 500gb ssd. So an Android version of that???

If so then I would be happy to have my ENTIRE music collection on my portable device running MMA and synced to my main PC running MMW.
This way I can rate and edit to my hearts content without being tied to my desk.

My HTC M8 takes a 128GB card but that's not big enough.

EDIT: If there is an existing thread about best android phone/player for hi quality or hi capacity please point me there.
It appears earlier samsungs with Wolfson DACs are pretty good but they have limited SD capacity?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe Archos may have had something with a larger capacity in its product line. Many Android devices also allow external drives with USB OTG, however this still is problematic in MMA as it will loose the tracks from the Library if the drive is disconnected. You'd also likely have to deal with an external power source as USB OTG is low powered and may not have sufficient power for USB powered hard drives.