Tracks playing out of order only in recent albums backed up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jaykey

Re: Tracks playing out of order only in recent albums backed

Post by jaykey »

Hi, thank you to both of you, I will follow your advice and see what happens. I only use MM to rip CD's, so I'm sure this will work. al the best, Jay :)
JukeboxJohnny

Post by JukeboxJohnny »

I too had this problem which I've managed to solve.
Higher up in this discussion, MMFrLife mentioned albums by various artists not displaying in track order correctly in MediaMonkey. So, I selected all tracks for the album in question, right clicked on them and then clicked on properties. I then made sure the field "Album Artist(s)" had the same value in it (in my case, I set it to a null value) and clicked OK.
Lo and behold, the album tracks then displayed in the correct order.
Hope it works for you too.
tridentt150v

Post by tridentt150v »

I don't want to hijack the OP 's thread but I am having the same issues [or at least i think I am].

I have tracks sorted......Artist - Album - Track Number - Track Name - Genre - Length - bitrate

and I often get the track 1 listed at the end of an album instead of as the first track??

I have looked at the song properties in MM, I have looked at the Tag using a Tagger and I have checked the name in Explorer and they are all OK. In explorer the song is listed as the first on the album [so is correct], the properties and Tagger's used all have the exact same information and sequence [everything is the same except for the song number and title] I have even edited and/or refreshed the name and tag but it makes no difference at all.

I'll revive my photobucket account and post up some screenshots [pity we can't cut and paste] and show you but I'm totally beat......can't see any spaces or spelling changes or capitalisations or anything else that would do this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and is the Artist the same on the first track as the other tracks on the Album (as you first sort on Artist)? Screenshots showing all relevant fields would be helpful.
tridentt150v

Post by tridentt150v »

Media Monkey Ver 4.0.7.1511 Standard Edition unregistered

This one is Properties of the error:

This one is Properties of another song in the same album and list that doesn't have this error:

The Playlist out of sequence:

And to show that it happens a few times, another example:

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Screenshots unfortunately don't show sorting in MediaMonkey.

Have you tried File > Maintain Library with complete optimization? I believe past occurrences of this have been database corruptions.

Post by Guest »

I'll try what you said, but that is screen shots of MM.....Not explorer.
qinglisa

Post by qinglisa »

Hello jaykey, just saw your problem. Could you solve it?
I have the same problem. Some day it was there, and now I have had it for a long time. Only solution is: I use FREE MM instead of Gold. Then the problem doesn't show.
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

I have seen the same issue with MMW 4.1.15.1828.

What I do: I rip CDs to the FLAC format. CDs are simple with only one artist.

My settings are:
Destination: D:\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> <Artist> - <Title>
FLAC: Highest compression
Rip type: Standard read
Level Track Volume: no
Verify ripped tracks: no
On the fly encoding: yes

What I observe: I right-click on the CD-symbol to the left, click on "Rip Audio CD" and the "Rip CD" window opens. All titles are displayed in the correct order. But after I click on "OK" the titles are not ripped in the order in which they are on the CD. It seems to be abolutely random. When I check the songs in MMW in "Music" I see this same random order. The order doesn´t change when I sort by "Added".

My Issue: Of course I can then sort the album by "Track #" and get the correct order. But I am currently re-ripping my CD-collection and it would be easier to have the correct order from the beginning. And I simpy don´t understand why the songs are not ripped in the order in which they are placed on the original CD. And this happenend to all the 10 CDs I ripped recently.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Snofru wrote:When I check the songs in MMW in "Music" I see this same random order.
Is sorting incorrect when you sort on Album?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

My guess is that you should be grateful this is happening because it likely means that your ripping is going faster. If you are using multiple CPU cores for ripping (and I think that is MMs default) then several tracks may be being ripped at once and a shorter track will be complete before a longer track even if the longer track is track 1 and the shorter track 2, for example. The ripping order simply reflects the order that the ripping is finished and is not random but determined by track order and time required to rip. Besides, if the album order and track numbers are correct, why do you care?
Snofru wrote:I have seen the same issue with MMW 4.1.15.1828.

What I do: I rip CDs to the FLAC format. CDs are simple with only one artist.

My settings are:
Destination: D:\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> <Artist> - <Title>
FLAC: Highest compression
Rip type: Standard read
Level Track Volume: no
Verify ripped tracks: no
On the fly encoding: yes

What I observe: I right-click on the CD-symbol to the left, click on "Rip Audio CD" and the "Rip CD" window opens. All titles are displayed in the correct order. But after I click on "OK" the titles are not ripped in the order in which they are on the CD. It seems to be abolutely random. When I check the songs in MMW in "Music" I see this same random order. The order doesn´t change when I sort by "Added".

My Issue: Of course I can then sort the album by "Track #" and get the correct order. But I am currently re-ripping my CD-collection and it would be easier to have the correct order from the beginning. And I simpy don´t understand why the songs are not ripped in the order in which they are placed on the original CD. And this happenend to all the 10 CDs I ripped recently.
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

@Lowlander

Sorting on Album gives the correct order of songs.
yarguy wrote:My guess is that you should be grateful this is happening because it likely means that your ripping is going faster. If you are using multiple CPU cores for ripping (and I think that is MMs default) then several tracks may be being ripped at once and a shorter track will be complete before a longer track even if the longer track is track 1 and the shorter track 2, for example. The ripping order simply reflects the order that the ripping is finished and is not random but determined by track order and time required to rip.
I do have an 6-Core i7 CPU and it could be that tracks are ripped at once. But how can you explain this rip order (none of these songs is extraordinary short or long):
3-11-7-2-15-10-5-14-4-6-18-1-16-13-12-20-17-9-8-19-21
yarguy wrote:Besides, if the album order and track numbers are correct, why do you care?
Because it would save time the way I work with MMW (I am open for suggestions for a better work flow):
1. I rip a number of Discs.
2. I sort "Music" by "Added" to have the latest ripped CDs at the end of the list.
3. I copy these ripped songs to appropriate playlists (e.g. multiple albums by the same artist).
4. In the playlists the songs have the random order so I have to sort them by hand.

To avoid 4. I could do the following:
  • Sort "Music" by "Album" (thanks for the hint, Lowlander). But then I have to find the album somewhere in the middle of my 6000 songs by another sorting operation. Also means I have to sort again by "Added" to proceed after finishing with the current CD.
  • Or I could copy all of the ripped songs to a temporary playlist, sort this by "album" and copy from this temporary playlist to the other playlists (I guess that´s what I´ll do if I can´t find a better idea).
  • Or find a way to have the songs ripped in the correct order (I wouldn´t mind if ripping would take longer, I do it anyway in the background while I have other things to do on the PC). BTW I have ripped in the past with iTunes (can´t do FLAC at all or MP3 higher than 192 kBit/s) or the ancient CDex and the songs were always in the correct order.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried sorting on Added then Album (hold Ctrl key down for additional sort columns)?
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Yes, I've tried it and it doesn´t work. It seems that "Added" gives a totally fixed order that doesn´t change with sorting a 2nd field. It is displayed as day-hours-minutes but there must be seconds or even parts of seconds behind the scene.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, seconds are included, but not displayed, for Added.