Auto update tag files

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Auto update tag files

Post by Lowlander »

I just discovered this in MM, but when you change the or just save tags in a song with different capatilization all the songs in the DB with that same info are updated.

I had seen in MM that is now showing how many files remain to be tagged that when I would only edit one file many remained to be tagged, and this puzzeled me. This is now explained.

Now coming to the point, I'm not sure I'm happy or unhappy with this feature:
Benefits would be that DB would be uniform

The bad side is:
- Playback is interupted even if song isn't edited primarily (just an update due to similar other file)
- A lot of updating happens
- Mistakes in CAPS are carried out through the whole DB (and I make a lot of CAPS mistakes

As you see the benefit is extremely powerful and makes me lean towards liking this. Maybe an option to turn this auto adjust off would be nice.

Let me know your ideas.
jiri

Post by jiri »

In order to prevent this you can only turn off tagging completely. The reason for this is that each artist or album is one object in MM, which allows you to assign comments and later e.g. some graphics to them. However, when you change capitalization in a name, it must be applied to each instance of given artist or album.

Jiri
Lowlander

Okay

Post by Lowlander »

Well that wouldn't work for me. But I understand the point and we'll try to be more careful with tagging, lol.

Thanks