Media Tree problem

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

Media Tree problem

Post by Pietercape »

I run MM on a Desktop (Win 8.1) and a Laptop (Win 7). The media file structure for each is identical. The MM Collection criteria is the same for both. The tree for the "Music" collection on both computers show Location,Album, Artist, Composer, Genre, and Files to edit. The music files are located in two main folders (MusikDB and MusikDownloads) on the hard drives of the Desktop and the Laptop. When adding files to MM the File Add/Rescan locations ticked are these folders.Both computers have the same number of files in the MM database.

Here is the issue :
-The Desktop under Location shows the drive and both the MusikDB and the MusikDownloads folders and can be expanded to show the subfolders.

- The Laptop shows only the MusikDB folder despite the fact that the files located in MusikDownloads are in the MM database.

Any suggestions on how to get the tree also to show Music-Location-Drive-Musikdownloads
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Media Tree problem

Post by Lowlander »

Check in the Entire Library Collection (enable it under File > Manage Collections). Is it shown there under Location and does it contain files?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander
No, the Drive/folder does not show in Entire Collection>Location.
Moving the MusikDownloads folder into the MusikDB folder is the easy solutionbut for reasons of synchronization I do not want to do that. And I am intrigued as to why this is happening!
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

In my last post I forgot to mention that the MusikDownloads data (files) are included in the Entire Library collection, they just do not show up in the location node but I can find them in the Album etc nodes.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to try File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled. If that fails try right click on a file from that folder (in the Album you did find it at) and select Find More from Same > Folder (Library). Does that open the correct folder in the Location node?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I routinely use Maintain Library with full optimization. There is just no logic to what is happening. I am using Ver.4.1.1.1703 on both machines.
In looking for a solution I added 1 album to the MusikDownloads folder. I used Add/Rescan to add that specific folder to the Library just as downloaded ie before editing the tags. In Entire Library it was added to the total number of files, but in the Location node the MusikDownloads Folder was not shown. In the Music collection again the files were added to the total number of files but the MusikDownloads folder was not in the Location node. In both the Entire Collection and the Music collection the files were in the Album and Composer nodes.

In desperation I removed ALL files from the library (manually, not by clearing the Database) and rescanned only the MusikDownloads folder. Entire Library now shows the correct number of files in the folder but when I open the Location node it only shows the drive (c:) All and LTMusikDB (the main database location). Clicking on All shows that there are no files. All the other nodes (artist, Album Artist, Composer etc) show the correct number of files. The Music collection shows the correct number of files but nothing in the Location node but the correct number of files in Artist, Composer etc.

As the tags in these files are unedited ie as downloaded, all the albums do not show up in the different nodes but that is due to the tagging.

What I do not understand is why the files are recorded as present in Entire Library (by number) and the Music collection but do not show up in the location node.

I backed up the "empty" library in the hope that clearing the .ini and Data Base Files would resolve the problem but it has not.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could remove the used database (or move it for backup), then start MediaMonkey to have it create a new database. DB location: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17

Could the missing folder have been set as Virtual CD, Previews or UPnP Cache folder in the Options?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

To close this thread:
I did a clean install of MM and in the set-up process you need to designate the data source files. This may have been the problem as the MusikDownloads file may not have been a designated source file in the previous setup. It still very strange that the files were there and I still cannot explain this.

There could be another explanation - I recently installed Ver 4.1.1.1703 and in the set-up process mistakenly did a portable install. To correct this I used my backup copy of the old .ini and Data Base files and copied them to the App Data folder. This could have caused a problem allthough, visually MM ran perfectly.

Apologies for taking up Forum time and space!
Library 23k tracks