mp3tag's allmusic.com implementation

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Unlord

mp3tag's allmusic.com implementation

Post by Unlord »

First, id like to say that i think this program is awesome. i was looking for a program to rename my music files in a batch ( that was my idea of organizing my music :p ) when i found MM. ive seen that there is so much more that i can do, and ive been using MM for a few weeks now, and loving it.

like many users, i found www.allmusic.com , and i wanted a way to get information from them in batch. i found Mp3tag, http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ , and found that they had scripts to get song information from a number of sites, http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=1794 . and i found a AMG script that loads:
Artist, Album, Genre, Titles, Year, Styles, Mood, Composer, Publisher, Album rating, Cover, http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=2879 .
Ive looked through the forums, and seen that a number of people have asked about this. the reasons for it not being present are licensing and complexity. i just wanted to let you guys know that they get it to work and dont have legal issues with it, even though they do not allow a script for gracenote because of its eula, http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=3282 . And ive looked at the script, and it dosent seem to bad, so i figured id just let you guys know about it in case someone wants to try to implement it in MM.
and if someone does, please note that i have found a few albums that the script to get info errors out on. a couple examples are (have ot cut and paste the two lines together):
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 82027AEE53
E38681B3E577B266ADFF2EA2160ED9C9EF5CFCD5764C40&sql=10:u909kettdq7b
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 082027AEE5
3E38681B3E577B266ADFF2EA2160ED9C9EE5CF8DC764C40&sql=10:gvc1z81aoyv4

Thanks
revbob

Brilliant

Post by revbob »

Thanks, that's a great tool. Really useful.
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I think I would declare whoever made a script that could load the genre and style fields to thte custom tag fields as my new lord and savior ;) The albumplayer program does this and you can sort by the albums and it's great. Only problem with that sometimes is that I come up with one album genre's in my collection it gets so specific.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

The Web Sources Framework ( http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=1737 ) of Mp3tag is very cool! It makes it possible to integrate various web sources for tagging very easily: http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=1794

I'm trying to make a parser for the moment, so we can get the same functionality in MediaMonkey, using their script files. :wink:

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Unlord

Post by Unlord »

thatll be sweet it you can get it to work Steegy! :)
jorjio

CANT WAIT!

Post by jorjio »

I love allmusic
i can't wait!!
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hello

Just to give you some indication of the progress, this is how it currently looks... (WSSI = Web Sources Script Interpreter)

< Data removed. It will be available later, on a separate page. >

As you can see, now everything is from within one dialog (instead of 2 like mp3tag) so changing between albums is very fast.

I have already tested it with Discogs + Amazon.com + Amazon.de + AllMusicGuide. The program has problems with some albums, but it seems that mp3tag has most of these problems too.
But still, these have to be improved...
Because some methods are still faulty implemented, errors occur with the original script files (however, writing the script files myself would solve this, but it's better to be "fully original-compliant" so we don't have any mor work then).
I've only been working on the "getting" part of the story. The "saving" part still has to be done, as well as the layout part.

Cheers
Steegy
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

that looks sweet man, nice work!
Bex

Post by Bex »

I'm following the progress of this with great interest. If you get this to work it's one of the greatest enhancemant to MM developed! Atleast in the tagging area!

Keep it up!

/Bex
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

An update, with previewing of the received information (no integration (getting tracks and writing to them) with MM yet):

< Data removed. It will be available later, on a separate page. >

(image in reduced quality, of course)

Latest version is at the end of this thread.

Zipped files: < Data removed. It will be available later, on a separate page. >

5 scripts
- Amazon (com, de, fr, co.uk, ca, co.jp)
- All Music Guide
- FreeDB
- Cover_Walmart
- Cover_DarkTown
1 program: Web Sources Script Interpreter.exe (requires .Net Framework 2)
The script files (extension src) *must* be in the "C:\WebSourcesScripts" folder.

When you test out the Amazon sources (one single file!!), you will see that it's much better than the one in Mp3Tag because I partially rewrote it and improved it.
This is and will be also needed for other scripts, partially because my implementation is not yet 100% good, and most of these scripts only work partially, and return less results as they normally should.
Please, if you find problems with the above scripts, give me some feedback (maybe best by PM'ing me) so I can improve them.
They normally return all required results, and work in most circumstances, quite reliable.

The other scripts (MusicBrainz, Discogs, ArtistDirect, Cover_iTunes) don't work good enough yet to include them, but hopefully they will become good ... :wink:

Remember, error-catching will be available, but for now I disabled (commented) these lines of code. So you might get nasty error dialogs, instead of the nice and friendly "Something's wrong, please try again" messages. (this helps to identify error sources better)

Some to-do's:
Make changes to program and scripts so selection of the wanted "search text" type is available, within one single script file.
Apply auto-sorting on the results received (according to best matches for the artist, album and track count (if available)).
Automaticly enumerate and add script files from a specified folder
Enable selection of which track information tags should be written
Enable sorting on the album listing ListView (normally invisible, but can be shown using the down-draggable "invisible" border)
Fix wrong url encoding (shouldn't encode the separater character |)
(Normally only for AMG, but the current script uses another working url, so no problem for now)
Get selected files from MediaMonkey
Match the received tracks on with these of MediaMonkey (using titles, track number, track length)
Improve multi-disc albums (use disc number, or apply it to track number) (now, the tracknumbers just augment no matter what cd it is: the counting goes on...)
Save/restore settings
Write tags to the selected tracks in MediaMonkey
AND!! make the program asynchronous (multi-threaded, so no apparent "freezes" anymore, especially on slower internet connections)
Add support for decent yin-yan-ching-chan-plan-... you know, Asian characters :wink: (now, only those boxes are shown for most albums on Amazon.co.jp)

Cheers
Steegy
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Steegy, this is really impressive! Looks really good.
I'll try some and see if I can help. I'm not a scripter but I can perhaps find some bugs or areas to improve.

Great work!
/Bex
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Hey, that is so f***ng impressive. I believe that this plug-in (as i cant call it a script) will reach the sky! :lol:
Great, great, great...

EDIT:
Do you plan to make your exe open source??

Post by Guest »

Hello!

I'm the author of Mp3tag and its Web Sources Framework and I'm glad that you like it :)

Unfortunately there are some terms of use bound to the use of these web sources in other programs which are mentioned at the bottom of my Web Sources Archive. Just make sure, that you're using your own Amazon Web Services Developer ID and mention Mp3tag somewhere in your app.

Have fun and happy tagging!
~ Florian
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hello Florian

That's very kind of you. I didn't read the "Note for developers" before, but I knew that you were against software patents and such.

Next update, I will add a reference/thanks to Mp3tag (and you) to the program and the script files where it's not there anymore.

Maybe by looking at the scripts (Amazon), you can improve your own code. The Amazon script uses an url-parameter to be able to use all Amazon sites by changing the domain (com, fr, ca, ...).
It also includes a new script word "findstartinlineuntil" (I know, bad name, but it works) that searches the start of a word in the current line, and doesn't search further than the "until" word. This is to prevent too long parsing times when a word simply isn't there, and prevents jumping from one album into another. This is only needed in Amazon for now...

I just wish that MediaMonkey and Mp3Tag could join, because MediaMonkey has so much possibilities, and Mp3Tag has so much nice other posibilities (like this sources scripting) that have been asked here in the forums. And you do it all on your own, if I'm not mistaking.

I made this program because I once did something similar (parsing web mail), but that was completely in VB code, there were no additional scripts.

@everyone
Thanks for the good words and maybe trying out the program.

About the "open source": maybe, if the program is almost at it's release state (I don't want to get "run over" by another programmer, if you know what I mean). And the code is kind of messy, so for now that wouldn't be a good idea. Plus, you have to know C# (I don't want to code anything else anymore, except VB6 or java) Maybe at the end, if necessary, someone could convert it to Windows native code (faster but much more difficult), but we're not that far yet...

BTW: Multi-language support is also on the to-do list. If it seems to much work or so, everything will be in English (I still have to decide US or GB English :wink: )

Cheers and thanks
Steegy
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Always choose GB over US! :)

Good work!
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.