Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

lizat

Backup not copying mm.ini

Post by lizat »

Dear Monkeys,

I am using Backup 5.8. I have set it up and it works except it is not backing up the ini file. In fact it doesn't show the location but I can't edit this to add it manually. I am currently working round this by adding an additional folder to the backup. The ini file is in my Roaming folder and I am using Windows 7.

How can I fix this?

Thank you...................... liz
trixmoto

Re: Backup not copying mm.ini

Post by trixmoto »

I'm not sure why this isn't working, it's supposed to use the same method as MM for selecting the setting file, which is why it is non-editable. I'll take a look when I get a chance.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
dtsig

Re: Backup 5.8 - Updated 27/10/2010

Post by dtsig »

So here is an odd one .. as noted on the previous page there is a problem with the zip process when the db gets to a certain size. I still use the process as it copies the file over.
But today, looking at the completion message box it said the zip completed .. so i looked and as of this mornings first backup it is now zipping the file and not copying it over. I unzipped the file and it is 722Meg in size .. just like the current db file.
Hmmm i say scratching my head .. how did this fix itself?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

:o I'm stumped.
--
The gpzbc
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Yeah man ... i just did an add of 25 files, updated tags etc. Did backup and it completed again. Un-Zipped and it worked .. As Alice would say ... curiouser and couriouser
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Whoops .. modified 24 files (tags) and now getting the error again. It looks like the db size is still very close to the same size (maybe 500 bytes) but there you go ... it is always in the details :)
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
sabth

Post by sabth »

Hi !great script. Quick question , computer crashed, reinstalled win, how do I restore the backed up files mm.db etc. Simply by copying it looks that it works but strange things happen to the files when trying to play. I also made sure that in .ini file teh directories are the same as in the previous system. Restore script does nor look to function properly. Any help? Thanks sabth
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I prefer to copy files over manually rather than use the restore script. Just make sure they all go into the correct folder.
--
The gpzbc
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I had to restore a db yesterday and found a couple of zips that upon unzipping reported "unknown compression method".
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
wmccombs

Post by wmccombs »

I have been using the backup feature for a couple of years hoping to never need it. I needed it today after my database became corrupted for some unknown reason. I found after reading the forum that it probably is worse expecting you have a backup that can be easily and sensibly implemented to restore than to have none at all. It turns out to be extremely frustrating when you are advised NOT to use the restore.vbs to restore and to do it manually. Then you find that you have files in 3 different locations AppData, Application Data and C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey. I have tried copying files manually from my Backup folder to all 3 of these locations. I find different parts of MM restored but no way near what one would expect. I really don't think the backup extension is something to rely upon where it appears you have good backups only to find it is next to impossible to restore. I have been a computer programmer for over 25 yrs and this is a very perplexing addon. I have a database of over 30k files and am apparently going to have to basically start from scratch with my db and playlists. While I usually read forums thoroughly before I cry for help I have found nothing but confusion from most users with regards to restoring a backup. Most have been unsuccessful either in part or as a whole. I use MM because it works. I will not use the backup addon any longer thinking that all will be well if something goes wrong. I appreciate the effort for this addon because considerable effort went into it. I can certainly appreciate a programmer's time. I'm sure if I wanted to spend as much time learning how to use one addon as I did MM and managing my music the past several years it would work fine...I guess. But I would rather enjoy my music collection instead. Thank you for letting me vent.....or not.
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

Hey Guys,
This has reared its head again but in a different way this time.

\Scripts\Abackup.vbs Line 12 Char 11 'SongsDB.SDBApplication'
ActiveX component can't create object: Code 800A01AD

I had it working fine with no problems, i have it installed on my PC and as a portable version on a HDD.

Everything worked fine until I uninstalled the PC version after a HDD crash then all went T*ts up.
the errors constantly appears when clicking on the backup button on popup window, and the icon on the task bar disappears.
i reinstalled the PC version with backup installed too and the problem went away.
I uninstalled PC version again and the problem with the portable version came back...

Anyone got any ideas with this, I have looked on MS with no joy.

Edit 03/02/2014
I have since found out that it is something to do with the Registration of the .vbs file in the system it self but have no clues
how to sort this so any help would be appreciated.
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

I Have been doing some digging to try and find a solution to this problem and have come up with the following...

It Appears the problem is a Portable Monkey Problem which is not elevating the COM part of the programme
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8182
I am using the:-
MMRegisterCom and
MMUnRegisterCom idea before and after using MM and it seems to be working but this is not ideal as you can imagine.

Maybe someone of Importance on this forum could Place this in the correct place to be sorted ASAP please as it can be somewhat troublesome
to users without a little knowledge of Batch Files.
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

I have created a small Batch file which needs to be put into mediamonkey folder for the portable version to work.

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF

:MENU
CLS

ECHO =========== Media Monkey ===========
ECHO.
ECHO 1.  Start Monkey With COM
ECHO 2.  Start Monkey Without COM
ECHO 3.  Stop COM
ECHO.
ECHO ==========PRESS 'Q' TO QUIT=========

SET INPUT=
SET /P INPUT=Please select a number:

IF /I '%INPUT%'=='1' GOTO Selection1
IF /I '%INPUT%'=='2' GOTO Selection2
IF /I '%INPUT%'=='3' GOTO Selection3
IF /I '%INPUT%'=='Q' GOTO Quit

CLS

ECHO ============INVALID INPUT============
ECHO.
ECHO Please select a number from the Main
ECHO Menu [1-3] or select 'Q' to quit.
ECHO.
ECHO ======PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE======

PAUSE > NUL
GOTO MENU

:Selection1

CLS
@ECHO off
MediaMonkey.exe /elevate /regcomserver
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO			Installation of COM Complete
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO 			MediaMonkey Will Now Start
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO.
pause
@ECHO off
start mediamonkey.exe
exit

:Selection2

cls
ECHO			MediaMonkey Will Now Start
ECHO.
ECHO			Without COM Installed !!!
ECHO.
ECHO.
pause
@ECHO off
start Mediamonkey.exe
exit

:Selection3

cls
@ECHO off
start MediaMonkey.exe /elevate /unregcomserver
ECHO			COM Has been Uninstalled
ECHO.
ECHO.
pause
exit

:Quit
CLS

ECHO ==============THANKYOU===============
ECHO.
ECHO ======PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE======

PAUSE>NUL
EXIT
Hope This helps.
I only Used it once to install COM and restarted several times and monkey seems to continue to work as should now.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I've never had a problem using the Restore.vbs file myself - can anyone give me any additional information about what isn't working?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »