How to have same ratings and other metadata in MM8 and MMW?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

andras

How to have same ratings and other metadata in MM8 and MMW?

Post by andras »

I'd like to use the beautiful MediaMonkey app for Windows 8/RT as a frontend for MediaMonkey for Windows on the same computer (then in the future sync them also to the Android app).

However I don't find a way to sync ratings between MM8 and MMW on the same machine. After changing ratings in MMW I can force it to write them back to the file, but then MM8 is not using them (not even after tryin a scan for media). The other direction is still more difficult: I don't find a way to write back ratings to file from MM8 and/or sync them to MMW.

I've also enabled media sharing on MMW but MM8 cannot find the UPnP server. I've also updated MMW to the last beta relase (4.1.0.1681) and reinstalled MM8, but it did not help (however I don't know where is the data folder for MM8 so I did not delete it before reinstalling).

Please treat me well because I'm new here and I'm a novice MM user. :)
sogarth

Re: How to have same ratings and other metadata in MM8 and M

Post by sogarth »

From what I've seen, any type of communication between synchronization between MM8 and MMW (even on the same computer) will require upgrading MM8 to MM8 Pro (costing $4.99). If that's not the case, I'd love to know myself! :P

Edit: Ah, here we go
You need to understand MediaMonkey for Desktop (MMW) and MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT (MM8) are different applications and MM8 cannot have access to database from desktop version.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MM8 should pick up changes (a big new release of MM8 is in the works) and to use the MMW database you can use UPnP for free in MM8. The paid sync option isn't needed when using both MMW and MM8 on the same device as you'd duplicate your files.
gunterotto

Post by gunterotto »

I have MMW and MM8 on the same machine (Surface Pro 2) and, while both work fine independently, for some reason I cannot use sync via UPnP. My MMW server shows up fine in MM8 but, when selected, MM8 will think for about 3-5 seconds then abend and return to the Start Screen.

There are 32000+ songs in my Library, is that a possible problem? When can we expect the "big new release"?

As importantly, big kudos to MediaMonkey for creating a W8 app!! When in tablet mode away from my desk, I enjoy and prefer to remain in the touch-friendly Modern UI, and your beautiful app is a key part of that now. I love that I can "Play To" my Xbox. I'll happily pay for an improved or "pro" app if that's needed for UPnP.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The new version is a complete rewrite so it is taking a while. It is currently in testing to make sure no big bugs are present.
pacheco

Post by pacheco »

I am running MM8 (current release 10) and MMW (4.1) on the same machine. When will it be possible to have the databases in sync?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd say its to early in the MM8 development to be able to count on that. However the way you'd set this up is to sync your MMW Library to MM8 (allows for tagging, but requires files to be synced) or use UPnP in MM8 to access the MMW Library (no tagging, but also no syncing and access to MMW AutoPlaylists). Using UPnP should have no big problems with the current release (as no tagging is possible).