Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Buruan

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by Buruan »

Some of these latest posts have encouraged me to come to back to this thread and the impossible task of SGIII synching.
I updated to the latest version from ATT, installed MM 4.1.

There is an improvement that the SG3 now gets properly recognized, but thats where it ends once more for me.

MM gets stuck scanning the SD card. (i gave up after 10 minutes of waiting)
The card is freshly formatted so don't see why this would take any time at all.

I tried a couple of options around deleting profiles, but no dice.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=341

Note that on MMW 4.1 you can wifi sync if you use MMA on your Android device. This bypasses any issues with Samsung drivers.
Isara

Post by Isara »

Ok, I've scoured the forums and I'm still stuck, so maybe a more direct question will help me resolve this. I'm having a lot of difficulty getting MMA to sync tag changes from MMW. I went through and cleaned up a lot of artist names, genres, and album names. In the MMW tree under External (actually Internal) card->Music->Artists, everything is listed correctly, but in MMA, I have LOADS of "Artists" with empty tracks next to them, detritus of my cleanup efforts. It's also not keen on recognizing changes to my Podcasts, which I'm syncing to an SD Card.

I'm using MediaMonkey 4.1.

Any help pointing me in the correct direction will be greatly appreciated.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MMA and MMW are you using?
Isara

Post by Isara »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MMA and MMW are you using?
MMA: 1.0.4.0162
MMW: 4.1.0.1630, Standard Edition
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're MMW is outdated, you should get the latest build from the Beta forum.
Isara

Post by Isara »

Done (MMW 4.0.1 wasn't recognizing there was a new build. go figure). The sync between MMW and MMA went ok and populated some of the empty albums that were there before, but the Artist name changes I made didn't take in MMA, and there were some weird empty albums where it assigned an artist to an album randomly, but there was no track.

When I looked in the files on the phone, everything looks correct, which suggests to me that the files are transferring properly, but maybe the MMA database is corrupted? I don't really want to delete the MMA app and reinstall, given the difficulty I had just setting it up in the first place, but I will if I have to. If I delete mmstore.db, storageInfo.xml, db_copy_request, and sync_finished from the phone, will MMW rebuild those files when I attempt another sync? Or is it better to just nuke the app and start over?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe that deleting everything but storageInfo.xml should the trick. That file is the link between MMA and the Device Profile in MMW, deleting it would create a new Device Profile in MMW.
Isara

Post by Isara »

Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do a damn thing, and the Artist & Album Artists listing is still screwed up. Nest step would be to try reinstalling the app, correct? Or is there some other trick that might be useful?

I really appreciate your help, btw. thank you :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not certain, there's only one similar report of a tag issue: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=73596

You could try the reinstall, there isn't much to loose by trying it.
ScottieB

Post by ScottieB »

Aralvor wrote:
ScottieB wrote:I wanted to come back to this thread and say that with the recent releases of MMA and MMW (beta gold), and also Verizon's update for the Note 2 to Android 4.1.2 (which means the Rom I run also bumped to 4.1.2) things are finally working smoothly. Wifi sync doesn't always want to connect but I don't really need it. Everything else though; sync (including play counts and ratings from phone even on converted-to-mp3 flacs), library, playlists (edits I make to playlists on the phone sync back to the PC - which is awesome); are working well. I occasionally get some weirdness with playlists (usually empty duplicates) but a resync fixes it.

So happy to have something that's working as well as my ipods did. I can live without it, but I like play counts ;)
Can you explain how you do it, because i've just changed my microSD and im about to kill myself trying to synchronize the rating of my songs.

It doesnt work with MMA (rating is not saved and actually i can't even find them, when i open a song on MMA, it doesnt have the rating i have in MMW)

With playerpro, i can see the ratings, but they are not beeing updated

Well... first sorry I missed this post. BUT... it stopped working for me again.

Here's my full history so maybe we can figure out what happened:
Got my Galaxy Note 2 back in November. Switched from iTunes to MediaMonkey gold, and MMA on my phone. Set up MMW to sync to my phone's SD card, putting the Music in the folder /extSDCard/Music and the playlists (M3U) in /extSDCard/Music/_Playlists. Sync, and all the songs would copy to the device, but playlists would be hit or miss. SOmetimes they'd copy, and MMA would see them, but they'd be empty. Other times they'd fully copy over even if the songs were already there. Occasionally the playlists would not show up at all, and once or twice they actually worked - until a reboot or a resync, when they'd disappear or become empty again. No metadata (play counts/ratings/etc)

Then, over the summer, I did a full fresh install of everything - my phone's ROM, my computer OS (Win 8 Pro) and MMA/MMW. This fixed it, and I posted about a month ago saying it'd been working great. Syncing was always working as it should, playlists were there and updating, and metadata/play counts etc were also working.

Until this week. I downloaded a podcast from firefox on my phone, and then put it loose in my extSDCard/Music folder. This folder is normally organized by MM, and has folders of artists/albums -- and I just put this file in there loose - I wonder if this messed with things (I DO NOT have sync back to phone turned on, only the metadata checkbox is checked). After I put that file in there, the next sync took a while and copied all 1000+ of my songs again, even though they were already there save a few. The playlists were not synced. So I wiped the StorageInfo file from the phone, wiped all the files from the Music folder, rebooted and synced again. It copied all the songs, but no playlists. Disconnected and reconnected, and it synced again, copying ALL songs again. One more phone reboot, and another sync. This time it copies just the playlists -- but they are empty. The songs are all still there. This is when I ran out of time.

I have not tried wiping the app and data from my phone, or reinstalling the MMW (otherwise MMW is fine, I did install the latest beta version as of Friday or Sat but just over the top).

I feel like the next thing I should try is starting fresh with a new phone profile and wipe the app and data from the phone. Can anyone tell me how to do this? How do I make MMW 'forget' my phone so when I connect next time it is like the first time? And how do I completely wipe MMA from my phone so all traces including music and any other files "like StorageInfo) are all cleared out?

It's frustrating that everything was working so well and then poof it stopped. Not a big deal - as long as I can find a solution! But so far I'm stumped (and a bit short on time).

Thanks.
Aralvor

Post by Aralvor »

ScottieB wrote:
Aralvor wrote:
ScottieB wrote:I wanted to come back to this thread and say that with the recent releases of MMA and MMW (beta gold), and also Verizon's update for the Note 2 to Android 4.1.2 (which means the Rom I run also bumped to 4.1.2) things are finally working smoothly. Wifi sync doesn't always want to connect but I don't really need it. Everything else though; sync (including play counts and ratings from phone even on converted-to-mp3 flacs), library, playlists (edits I make to playlists on the phone sync back to the PC - which is awesome); are working well. I occasionally get some weirdness with playlists (usually empty duplicates) but a resync fixes it.

So happy to have something that's working as well as my ipods did. I can live without it, but I like play counts ;)
Can you explain how you do it, because i've just changed my microSD and im about to kill myself trying to synchronize the rating of my songs.

It doesnt work with MMA (rating is not saved and actually i can't even find them, when i open a song on MMA, it doesnt have the rating i have in MMW)

With playerpro, i can see the ratings, but they are not beeing updated

Well... first sorry I missed this post. BUT... it stopped working for me again.

Here's my full history so maybe we can figure out what happened:
Got my Galaxy Note 2 back in November. Switched from iTunes to MediaMonkey gold, and MMA on my phone. Set up MMW to sync to my phone's SD card, putting the Music in the folder /extSDCard/Music and the playlists (M3U) in /extSDCard/Music/_Playlists. Sync, and all the songs would copy to the device, but playlists would be hit or miss. SOmetimes they'd copy, and MMA would see them, but they'd be empty. Other times they'd fully copy over even if the songs were already there. Occasionally the playlists would not show up at all, and once or twice they actually worked - until a reboot or a resync, when they'd disappear or become empty again. No metadata (play counts/ratings/etc)

Then, over the summer, I did a full fresh install of everything - my phone's ROM, my computer OS (Win 8 Pro) and MMA/MMW. This fixed it, and I posted about a month ago saying it'd been working great. Syncing was always working as it should, playlists were there and updating, and metadata/play counts etc were also working.

Until this week. I downloaded a podcast from firefox on my phone, and then put it loose in my extSDCard/Music folder. This folder is normally organized by MM, and has folders of artists/albums -- and I just put this file in there loose - I wonder if this messed with things (I DO NOT have sync back to phone turned on, only the metadata checkbox is checked). After I put that file in there, the next sync took a while and copied all 1000+ of my songs again, even though they were already there save a few. The playlists were not synced. So I wiped the StorageInfo file from the phone, wiped all the files from the Music folder, rebooted and synced again. It copied all the songs, but no playlists. Disconnected and reconnected, and it synced again, copying ALL songs again. One more phone reboot, and another sync. This time it copies just the playlists -- but they are empty. The songs are all still there. This is when I ran out of time.

I have not tried wiping the app and data from my phone, or reinstalling the MMW (otherwise MMW is fine, I did install the latest beta version as of Friday or Sat but just over the top).

I feel like the next thing I should try is starting fresh with a new phone profile and wipe the app and data from the phone. Can anyone tell me how to do this? How do I make MMW 'forget' my phone so when I connect next time it is like the first time? And how do I completely wipe MMA from my phone so all traces including music and any other files "like StorageInfo) are all cleared out?

It's frustrating that everything was working so well and then poof it stopped. Not a big deal - as long as I can find a solution! But so far I'm stumped (and a bit short on time).

Thanks.
Well, i guess the lesson is DONT TOUCH TO THE MUSIC folder, thanks to you, we're aware of it, but you should still open a bug to see if other people have the same thing happenning,

on a side note, i switched to MMW and MMA and its working smoothly (except from time to time, i have to restart MMW to have the sync working, especially after i put my computer in hibernation, but thats fine...)

No more mounting demounting, and honestly thats life saving. I can add all my dynamic playlists, listen to music, rate, and have music copied or removed at the next sync. I'm currently in the process of rating my whole library this way to have the perfect selection. Anyway i'm really glad its working as only MM allows me to do some things like dynamicly rate and copy music on my device. Hopefully all the existing bugs get fixed and we soon have the perfect combo
MM33

Post by MM33 »

Hi there,

I have been using MM for a few years, it works great on my PC. However, it is frustrating to try and sync to my Galaxy S3. When I hit "sync" it tries to copy every single song, including those that are already on the S3. I have been wiping my S3 clean and then re-syncing every time I update my music, which is such a hassle that I hardly waste my time. There has to be an easier solution. I also want my auto playlists in MM to update on the S3 playlists with the new songs when I go to sync. Is there an easy way to do this in MM?
Aralvor

Post by Aralvor »

Use wi-fi sync with media monkey for android it's the best solution (if you don't get the empty playlist bug!)
Aralvor

Post by Aralvor »

what is your issue exactly ?