Access upnp MMW server from internet

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

nonob

Access upnp MMW server from internet

Post by nonob »

Hi,

I can't connect to my MM upnp server (MediaMonkey beta 4.1.0.1652).

From LAN, it works and i can even use MMA to find my upnp server, but from WAN, i can't.

MMA doesn't seem to alloxw to add a internet server so i can't use it as client, but i try bubbleupnp android client that allow to add a internet server, and i try to add this url:

http://<Network IP address>:<Port#>/DeviceDescription.xml

It says : "The remote server could be joined but returned HTTP error code 404 (Not Found)".

I checked my router port 53340 and it is opened.

Thans for your help
Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
Nova5

Re: Access upnp MMW server from internet

Post by Nova5 »

UPNP Packets are non-routeable. They are limited to the local network, regardless of if you open ports in the firewall or not. Even VPN won't work usually for that.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Nova5 wrote:UPNP Packets are non-routeable. They are limited to the local network, regardless of if you open ports in the firewall or not. Even VPN won't work usually for that.
Sorry, but not true. The setup for accessing MM outside of your own network is available in the help file.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ervers/4.0
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Yes:

"Be aware of the following issues when enabling external access:
Security options are fairly limited. MediaMonkey can only restrict access by IP address, although you can further restrict access using your router.
You'll need to enable Port Forwarding on your router to forward the Port# displayed on the UPnP/DLNA Server tab to the machine running MediaMonkey.
You'll need to configure the DLNA client to connect to http://<Network IP address>:<Port#>/DeviceDescription.xml"

So what am i doing wrong ?
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

http://w3.doshisha.ac.jp/research/resea ... np-gateway
http://www.upnp.org/specs/arch/UPnP-arc ... e-v1.1.pdf

Read up on Discovery if your interested in the methods. Looks like you can target a specific system with a unicast message. the Multicast messages that are used are non-routeable, which is the primary discovery method for both renders and servers.

What are you using for your Client?

--edit--
Ahh, Bubble. Same thing I am. THAT selection is for their own server application you install. as it seems to look specifically for "/res/connectiontest" when I look at the requested file field on the Server Tab of the MediaSharing options of the MMserver. I didn't have Accept External IP's checked so it shows as denied in the server's log. however thats checked now and new attempts do not show up.

Bubble will always fail due to asking for a non-existent file when run against MM.

You need to use their own app, which will rehost UPNP/DLNA servers through it out to the Android App.

http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupn ... pnp_server
nonob

Post by nonob »

So there is no way to connect to MMupnp server from internet ?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nonob wrote:So there is no way to connect to MMupnp server from internet ?
Apparently not with that app. You would need to try a different app.

Peke

Post by Peke »

I managed to make it happen eg. I'm able to PING MMW Server over internet (Lots of manual Settings to NAT, SUA and disabled UPnP Zero configuration). But now I need to client that will allow me to enter UPnP Server IP manually, also it will work until my IP doesn't change.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nonob

Post by nonob »

nohitter151 wrote:
Not with MMserver or not with bubble upnp ?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nonob wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:
Not with MMserver or not with bubble upnp ?
bubble

nonob

Post by nonob »

Do you know an app which works with mmserver ?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nonob wrote:Do you know an app which works with mmserver ?
I have successfully used the app "8 player lite" in the past, but that is for iOS. Sorry, I don't have an android device.

See this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ss#p319064

nonob

Post by nonob »

Thanks.
cu
Nova5

Post by Nova5 »

If you like BubbleUPNPs interface, Use Bubble's server app. It will create a connection point for their android app, that will redirect any calls to it to MM. so MM will still handle the work, their app becomes a middleman for internet sourced requests. You won't have to actual DLNA servers running, just MM with the Bubble Middleman for the internet reqs.

Something to note.. unless you have around 5 megs upload to give to streaming.. forget video. You'd have to OTF convert it to around 240p to get it workable.. aka.. horrible less than standard def tv.