Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gpzbc

Re: Backup 5.8 - Updated 27/10/2010

Post by gpzbc »

Good! I hope someone can help you.
--
The gpzbc
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

Hey guys I Haven't had any problems with this brilliant add-on even now iv upgraded my op system to Win7 64bit, it was just a matter of looking for the right places to retrieve and restore from.

Any way!
Now that I have Upgraded I was wondering if it was possible that when Restoring using the restore script that when it comes to asking for your MediaMonkey Directory in the pop-up dialogue that it could check to see what version of system you are using and adjust the PROGRAMFILES accordingly.
E.G 32 bit system would be PROGRAMFILES and 64 bit system would be PROGRAMFILES (x86) until of course MM becomes 64 bit.

Many Thanks
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I think it's safer if you manually edit the "Restore.vbs" script, or manually copy the files into the correct location. The script could guess at another path, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's where you've installed MM on the new system.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

OK thanks it was just a thought, it is easy enough just to edit the pop-up box without going to all the trouble of editing the Restore.vbs.
i was just thinking of a time saver and never thought others may install to different locations other than PROGRAMFILES.

Thanks Anyway :)
chrismix

Backup with Portable Install

Post by chrismix »

Searching for backup and portable brings up numerous threads about mp3 players and file back up so apologies if this has been posted before.

I am using a Portable Install of MMG and I want to get the Backup Script working with it. I feel that I will have to manually edit some of the script(s), that the backup script is maybe relying on registry keys which are obsolete or don't exist.

Does anyone know of an existing thread with help on this?
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
leotoni

Post by leotoni »

Hi, trixmoto. Would you consider adding functionality to this script so that it can be used to back up the actual media files? Thanks!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I used to use the Backup MM Tracks script to do this, but unfortunately it's no longer available.

I could look at doing it, but I think it may have to be a different script. This script does a full backup of the files, whereas with the tracks you would probably want to do an incremental backup, only backing up the files that had changed since the last backup. You wouldn't want to them to be included in the archive either, and the archive component I use certainly wouldn't be able to handle an archive of that size anyway, even if you did. Doing it at shutdown could be an issue, as it would probably take too long to perform the backup and that can cause issues.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Víctor Martínez

Post by Víctor Martínez »

Hello:
I've formatted in low level mode the drives and installed win 7.
Before doing so I created a backup of MM with your script as follows:

D:\Víctor\Media\Music\Media Monkey\Backup
Contents: MediaMonkey.ini, MediaMonkey.reg, MM.DB, Restore.vbs

D:\Víctor\Media\Music\Media Monkey\Backup\Plugins
Contents: 23 files (DLL's)

D:\Víctor\Media\Music\Media Monkey\Backup\Scripts
Contents: 36 files and 2 folders

D:\Víctor\Media\Music\Media Monkey\Backup\Skins
Contents: 11 files

How shall I use the Backup script to restore the data?

Thanks....

including scripts, skins and plugins.
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

@Victor
If im not mistaken, once you have installed MM again all you have to do is double click the Restore.vbs and give it it's requirements.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I prefer to restore by copying everything back to its folder manually. Then the last thing I do is restore the reg file by double-clicking on it.

Good luck and let us know if you have problems.
--
The gpzbc
leotoni

Post by leotoni »

trixmoto wrote:I used to use the Backup MM Tracks script to do this, but unfortunately it's no longer available.

I could look at doing it, but I think it may have to be a different script. This script does a full backup of the files, whereas with the tracks you would probably want to do an incremental backup, only backing up the files that had changed since the last backup. You wouldn't want to them to be included in the archive either, and the archive component I use certainly wouldn't be able to handle an archive of that size anyway, even if you did. Doing it at shutdown could be an issue, as it would probably take too long to perform the backup and that can cause issues.
A full copy, then incremental copy of files modified since the last copy would be ideal. If possible, a prompt when closing MediaMonkey would avoid copying when that would not be convenient. Thanks!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'll see what I can come up with.
Haaden2

Post by Haaden2 »

When I check "Include BackupPlaylists export (copy all autoplaylists to separate database)", I get a "database is locked" error referencing ABackup.vbs line 357. I do not get this error when I run BackupPlaylists on its own - it only occurs from within Backup 5.8. Anybody else having this problem, and anybody know a fix? Thanks for any suggestions.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Ok, I'll take a look.
Master Ree

Post by Master Ree »

Trixmoto! THANK YOU for all of your hard work over the years in creating and supporting so many wonderful addons. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

--------------
I'm running into an intermittent error with Backup 5.8 while Media Monkey is open. I am running MM 4.0.7.1511 on Windows 7 x64. My machine has an i7 3770k, 32GB of RAM, 250GB SSD for OS and applications including MM, and a 1TB HDD for data including the backups and my media files. My CPU usage is low and I have plenty of free space in my RAM, SSD and HDD when the error occurs.

Here is the error: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1OqQ52 ... sp=sharing

Here are my script settings: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1OqQ52 ... sp=sharing

Any thoughts?