Sorting artists albums in chronological order on iPod

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

JohanJooste

Sorting artists albums in chronological order on iPod

Post by JohanJooste »

Hi Guys, please can you guys advise why the artists / albums are copied to and listed on the iPod in alphabetical order and not in order of release date of the albums.

In the Library be it MM or iTunes you can setup the view and sorting per artist per album per year and it chronologically sorts it no sweat but its limited to the library, soon
as you sync to the iPod it chucks it in alphabetical order - Aaaargh!!

Anyone please advise if the same functionality in the library can transferred / build into the iPod, please ?

Thank you and regards
nohitter151

Re: Sorting artists albums in chronological order on iPod

Post by nohitter151 »

No, it's just the way the iPod displays albums, always in alphabetical order.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The only workaround is using a Playlist as the iPod will maintain sort order set on Playlist. However that results in just a file list.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Lowlander wrote:The only workaround is using a Playlist as the iPod will maintain sort order set on Playlist. However that results in just a file list.
This is the workaround I use on my iPod classic. In MM, I make sure to sort pertinent playlists by album artist, then date. This will get them on your iPod correctly. The catch is, albums will still display in alphabetical order so you have to know your music if you want to start an album with track 1.
JohanJooste

Post by JohanJooste »

Morning, yep not the answer I expected but it just confirms the obvious. I added the release date to the front of the Album name which sorts the issue but causes another. The album art is not displayed in my vehicle and also cause I am using iTune as my main DB the artwork is not downloaded automatically when adding new artists. MM does allow for the artwork to be downloaded when adding etc but then it still does not show the artwork in my vehicle untill I remove the date from the album name field. :x

Do any of you have a contact / influance at Apple which we can TELL to make changes in the Firmware/Software of the iPod to support this basic function ?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

JohanJooste wrote: Do any of you have a contact / influance at Apple which we can TELL to make changes in the Firmware/Software of the iPod to support this basic function ?
You'd have to be Steve Jobs reincarnate to get something like this implemented. I think you'd better just learn to live with the alphabetical sort. It's pretty much standard on any portable device.

JohanJooste

Post by JohanJooste »

Ha ha - good one, talk about leading people by the nose working not for the pleasure of others but for yourself.

How about MM develop a piece of software that emulates what we require on the iPod or better yet launch your
own version of a digital media player. For that function I will be first in the que :D

Thanks for the quick responses - all the best guys till next time

Ciao :D
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

JohanJooste wrote:or better yet launch your
own version of a digital media player.
MediaMonkey for Android is already available on the Google play store.