How to connect to a NAS across the internet

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

How to connect to a NAS across the internet

Post by dtsig »

I am just starting my search on this subject but thought I would ask here where the best and the brightest are :wink:

I have a NAS box connected to my network in the office. When I am on the road, like I am now, I would like to be able to connect to that box. Hopefully so that I can get MM to access the library I have there.

Any thoughts on how to do this? I have never done this as I haven't had a NAS box before. I can get stuff from my server by RDP to it but that is not the same.

tia
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dtsig

Re: How to connect to a NAS across the internet

Post by dtsig »

Really ... with all the braniacs here ... Also, what are thoughts on *best* (fast, size, price etc) NAS you have used?
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe there may be some topics on this. Generally you have 3 options: FTP, HTTP or DLNA. Many NAS have either build in options or allow Addons to be installed that can do this.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

dtsig wrote:Also, what are thoughts on *best* (fast, size, price etc) NAS you have used?
I don't think you can beat a homebrew NAS. Take an old computer case and motherboard and stuff it with as many harddrives as you can. Or, buy a case and motherboard and a bunch of harddrives and build it yourself. Install FreeNAS with a bootable USB drive and set it up how you please. It will undoubtedly be cheaper than any other pre-built solutions, work just as well, and be relatively future-proof.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Interesting thought. Been along time since I put a box together (at current prices why?) but the concept is valid. Never heard of FreeNAS before but will check it out.

That is why i keep asking questions ... thanks again
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

You can use something OpenVPN. Most commercial NAS units come with something to allow you to do this. On the lines of NAS and FreeNAS, here is information on turning a Raspberry Pi into a low power NAS for the DIY.