Ratings created in MM don't match IPOD

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jimn

Ratings created in MM don't match IPOD

Post by jimn »

I've rated many of my songs with MM. When I synchronize my IPOD (30GB), the rating doesn't get transferred to the IPOD. Similarly, the ratings created with MM don't appear in the iTunes library when the MM tagged files are put in an iTunes library. Can anyone provide a solution or an explanation?
nickeaston

modifying tags and re-syncing

Post by nickeaston »

I notice in this forum and elsewhere there is no significant discussion of the failure to sync when tags are changed. I can't find discussion or definition of the rule upon which resyncing takes place when changes are made to anything other than the filename.

This has been a major irritation to me since becoming an iPod user--my workaround is to delete and recopy to the pod after making changes to metadata in my master folder on my workstation.

Apparently very few people are interested in editing the metadata capabilities (tags) available in their music files...
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

It seems every program likes to implement 'ratings' in their own manner, as there is not really any set standard to do so (AFAIK).

You can specify monkey to update tags in the options. You can also manually sync tags from the mm database via selecting the files you want and pressing ctrl-S or using tools > advanced tag management > syncronise tags.
rusty

Ratings in MM vs iPod vs iTunes

Post by rusty »

In answer to the original question about ratings in MM not being transferred to the iPod. When tracks are imported from iTunes, MM gives you the option of importing ratings for tracks that don't have any. When tracks are synched to the iPod, MM bidirectionally transfers ratings metadata with the iPod, keeping whichever rating is most recent. In your case, I'm guessing that you've used iTunes and MediaMonkey to manage ratings and synch your iPod, which would cause db corruption on the iPod (if you're using MM to manage/synch your music to your iPod, you shouldn't synch with iTunes).

Re. the second question about failure to synch when tags are changed, MM is designed to synch metadata with a device whenever there is a change. If this isn't happening, then it's a bug. Perhaps you can clarify exactly what is happening.

Re. the final comment about Ratings not being standardized. That's true to a degree. The ID3 standard specifies a means of storing ratings information on a 0-255 scale, but the manner in which this is converted to a 0-10 rating is not specified, resulting in slightly different implementations on different music managers.

-Rusty