Not syncing new additions to a playlist

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

yarguy

Not syncing new additions to a playlist

Post by yarguy »

Once I figured out how it works, the auto-sync feature of MM is one of the reasons I I think it is the best player available. But I have a little annoying problem. After I have added some tracks to one of the playlists that I sync to my iPod Touch and do an auto-sync, those new tracks not only don't sync, but get erased from the playlist on MM. If I leave the iPod connected, add the tracks again to the playlist and do a second auto-sync, everything works fine. What setting have I got wrong? I use what I guess you would call manual auto-sync - i. e. it doesn't automatically sync when I connect the iPod, I click on auto-sync after it is connected.
Lowlander

Re: Not syncing new additions to a playlist

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and what generation iPod Touch? Can you fully timeline connection of iPod, syncs and file additions to Playlist?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

MM version 4.0.7 1511
iPod touch 64GB 4th generation
Playlist has 273 tracks before adding a new album (all are also on iPod in same playlist)
Added 8 tracks and verified they are in playlist on Media Monkey
Connected iPod
iPod appears in tree
click on iPod in tree and MM starts scanning it (free space = 15.7 GB)
(Both Scan as soon as the device is connected and Auto-sync as soon as the device is connected are unchecked)
Once scanning is complete the 8 tracks are missing from the MM playlist

I go ahead with the auto-sync anyway because something interesting happens

Right-click on iPod in tree and click on Auto-sync
MM reports preparing list of files
MM asks whether it should delete /Purchases/-8481767762657247730.m4a (it always asks about deleting something in /Purchases)
Leave this and Path on Device checked and click on Continue
This is the interesting step: MM begins syncing and reports that it is copying the tracks that were the ones added to an auto-sync playlist just before the previous auto-sync (tracks which are already on the iPod)
Leave iPod connected
Add the 8 new tracks to MM playlist again and verify that they are there
Right click on iPod in tree and click on Auto-sync
MM reports that it is copying the new tracks (the 8 just added and then re-added)
These 8 tracks are now still in MM playlist and on iPod

I would add that on the Options tab for the iPod when it is connected, Delete files and playlists not included in the Auto-sync list from the device and Confirm deletions are checked, but Auto-sync files from the device to the PC is not checked.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To recap, the mere connection of the iPod clears the tracks of the Playlist in MediaMonkey?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM syncs playlists made on iPods back into MM. So if you have a playlist in MM that is the same name as a playlist on the iPod, and that playlist is empty (on iPod), then it would clear the playlist (in MM upon connecting the device).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Then this seems a serious flaw in MM. If true in its absolute form, it would never be possible to add a song to an iPod using a playlist since MM would always clear the song from the playlist because it wasn't already on the iPod. Of course, that doesn't happen. MM will sync a new track to the iPod, eventually. Why do I have to do auto-sync twice - AND redo my playlists?
nohitter151 wrote:MM syncs playlists made on iPods back into MM. So if you have a playlist in MM that is the same name as a playlist on the iPod, and that playlist is empty (on iPod), then it would clear the playlist (in MM upon connecting the device).
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Pretty much that's the case. If MM scans the iPod before auto-sync (and I do not know how to prevent that), it will delete any new tracks from a playlist selected for auto-sync.
Lowlander wrote:To recap, the mere connection of the iPod clears the tracks of the Playlist in MediaMonkey?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

yarguy wrote:Then this seems a serious flaw in MM. If true in its absolute form, it would never be possible to add a song to an iPod using a playlist since MM would always clear the song from the playlist because it wasn't already on the iPod. Of course, that doesn't happen. MM will sync a new track to the iPod, eventually. Why do I have to do auto-sync twice - AND redo my playlists?
nohitter151 wrote:MM syncs playlists made on iPods back into MM. So if you have a playlist in MM that is the same name as a playlist on the iPod, and that playlist is empty (on iPod), then it would clear the playlist (in MM upon connecting the device).
No, because it only happens when you create and/or edit the playlist from the iPod.

yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Then I have a very simple question. How do I auto-sync new tracks - tracks that are not on the iPod - to my iPod?
nohitter151 wrote: No, because it only happens when you create and/or edit the playlist from the iPod.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

yarguy wrote:Then I have a very simple question. How do I auto-sync new tracks - tracks that are not on the iPod - to my iPod?
nohitter151 wrote: No, because it only happens when you create and/or edit the playlist from the iPod.
Not sure what you mean. The same way as always, check the applicable area in the "Auto-sync list" tab that is relevant to the tracks you want to sync.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Something does seem wrong. Added as: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10610
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

This is exactly what I am saying. Surely no one thinks that this is how MM should work, but it is exactly how MM does work. It needs to be fixed.
Lowlander wrote:Something does seem wrong. Added as: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10610