Feature / Script Request for Album Art Tagging

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

loondawg

Feature / Script Request for Album Art Tagging

Post by loondawg »

This is a pretty big request, but I suspect it would be very helpful to a lot of people. It takes the idea of trixmoto's Album Art Tagger and ties a couple pieces of its functionality together to make it more automated. The end result should be every selected song would have only one piece of artwork, that is 400x400 or smaller, stored in tag and no artwork files stored in the directory of any selected song.

I picture it working something like this on a group of selected song:

First check to see if all songs in the directory have one piece of art stored in tag that is 400x400 or smaller. If yes, whether artwork matches or not, do nothing to the music but delete any artwork jpgs from the directory.

If not, run through all the files in the directory to find any that have artwork stored in the tag that is 400x400 or smaller.

If one is found, run through the rest of the files that don't have one piece of art stored in tag that is 400x400 or smaller and store this artwork in the tag and remove all other artwork.

If none are found, run through all the files in the directory to find any that have artwork stored in the tag that is bigger than 400x400. Resize that to 300x300. Then run through all the files and store this artwork in the tag and remove all other artwork.

If no songs have any artwork stored in tags, take the largest stored jpg, if necessary resize it to under 400x400, then run through all the files and store this artwork in the tag and then remove all other artwork.

The result would be each song would have only one piece of artwork that is 400x400 or smaller stored in tag and no artwork jpgs stored in the directories.

It would not matter if the artwork was inconsistent because I could use other MediaMonkey functionality and other existing scripts to easily find and correct those. While this would still leave some manual cleanup work, this would be a huge step into the cleanup process for a very large music collection.
trixmoto

Re: Feature / Script Request for Album Art Tagging

Post by trixmoto »

The trouble with this is that it is extremely specific. I'm not sure how easily this request would lend itself to the community as a whole. A lot of people like to have more than one image, for a start. But if multiple images are found, how is the script deciding which ones to delete? If there are multiple images in the directory, how is it deciding which one of those to select?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Some would also like larger then 400 x 400.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I would like to suggest with scrpts like this that the setting be configurable. one mans 400X400 could be another mans 300X300 or in my case 500X500. Hard coding bits like that just limit them.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

trixmoto wrote:The trouble with this is that it is extremely specific. I'm not sure how easily this request would lend itself to the community as a whole. A lot of people like to have more than one image, for a start. But if multiple images are found, how is the script deciding which ones to delete? If there are multiple images in the directory, how is it deciding which one of those to select?
I appreciate your feedback and your thoughts on it. I do understand it was kind of a specific request. My thinking was the general idea of a first pass clean-up tool for a large music collections would be a fairly common desire. But I also understand that my idea of what that tools should do might not work well for others.

Perhaps a different approach would be something that would allow users to to chain together some of the existing functionality of the AlbumArtTagger. For example, in my case I generally run some combination of the following steps.

08. Remove artwork except first image
04. Extract artwork and resize external image
11. Embed artwork (convert link to tag) (with delete image files selected)

What would be really nice, but I realize it may be too ambitious, is the ability to pick a bunch of songs and have a script perform all those steps at once for each file in the directories where the music is located rather than having to select and run each step individually.

And if after doing that, if I end up with some albums that I have to manually redo, personally I am fine with that because this would get me so far into the clean-up process. It would be far easier to go back through a couple of dozen albums than it is to have to go through all the individual steps on a couple of hundred albums.

Again, I do appreciate your feedback. And I very much appreciate the tools you supply. They are great time savers as-is.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

PS. You also have the Files to Edit > Inconsistent Artwork and Unknown Artwork to help you clean up Artwork.