WAV format redesign enquiry

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JohanJooste

WAV format redesign enquiry

Post by JohanJooste »

Morning, through research and testing I've found that the WAV format / carrier type does not have/support
the same tags / metadata structure as MP3 or AAC format's for instance.

Please can anyone advise if the WAV format / carrier can be redesigned to support tags, matedata, albumart
within the files as is the case with MP3 and AAC.

This would really be a bonus as our library consists of about 21000 files imported via iTunes originally in WAV
format.

Thank you
Johan Jooste
rovingcowboy

Re: WAV format redesign enquiry

Post by rovingcowboy »

Wav format is very limited on tags mainly because its analog but monkey does keep all information for wav just like mp3's only it is kept in the library database. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
JohanJooste

Post by JohanJooste »

Lekker tx we got that sorted - a bit of manual editing and the db is up to date - thank you for the assistance thusfar.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

WAV lacks a tagging standard and thus has poor tagging support. However there are lossless alternatives like FLAC and WMA Lossless that do have strong tagging support.

What MediaMonkey supports: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
JohanJooste

Post by JohanJooste »

Tx for the reply Lowlander - could you advise/comment on the sound quality comparing FLAC/WMA and WAV ?
As an audiophile we prefer the best lossless uncompressed format available to us and being in SA we do not
have access to HD tracks like you guys might. I do not want to redo the complete 21000+ track library if the sound
quality is poor.

Thanks in advance
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note WMA is not correct you need to use WMA Lossless. Sound quality on all is the same as they all are a lossless version of the original. WAV is uncompressed and lacks tagging support. FLAC can be compressed (like a ZIP file so no data is actually lost and still remains lossless) and has good tagging support, it is the format I chose. I'm not familiar with WMA Lossless.