Classify big library EFFICIENTLY

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Natraj

Classify big library EFFICIENTLY

Post by Natraj »

I'm about to start the mammoth task of classifying 20000 tracks and I'd like to make sure I do it (a) right (b) using all MM's power (I'm new to MM) (c) EFFICIENTLY, given that one keystroke less per track comes to 20000 keystrokes!

I've got 50 or 60 keywords (more will come). Each tune will have between 3 and up to maybe 10 keywords. The keywords don't all fall neatly into divisions like mood / genre / occasion.

From a database point of view, the logically cleanest thing would be to type the keywords for each song into the Comment field, and then retrieve playlists using boolean search. But tons of typing, and doesn't use MM's features.

Or, I could arbitrarily say, well, let's call these 10 keywords "Genre", and then those 10 keywords "occasion" etc and then enter a few keywords in each field. That works, except
--- I can only easily read about 35 characters of each field in the Properties window, and some fields might end up longer
--- There does not seem to be a way to choose multiple entries from a dropdown list (Question: Is there a way ..?) so there is potentially a lot of click-search-select, click-search-select.

For a few hundred tracks there is no problem at all. The difficulty is to make sure I don't make a huge investment of effort and than regret it. If anyone has experience of either lots of tracks or lots of keywords I'd appreciate suggestions!

Many thanks

Natraj
Bristol UK
JoePublic

Re: Classify big library EFFICIENTLY

Post by JoePublic »

What are your 50-60 keywords? Maybe that will give someone an idea of what to suggest?
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Actually, having a keywords field in MM would be spiffy. Has that been discussed in another thread? Is there a way to use add "keyword functionality" in MM?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can add keywords to any field. For example most keywords would be Genre, Mood, Occasion and Tempo related for which fields already exists. You also have custom fields to use as you see fit.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Lowlander wrote:You can add keywords to any field. For example most keywords would be Genre, Mood, Occasion and Tempo related for which fields already exists. You also have custom fields to use as you see fit.
Thanks Lowlander,

However, I'm thinking you should be able to just select any group of tracks and easily add a single keyword. For example, in a photo management app like MS Windows live gallery, you can select any group of photos, and then add a keyword to that group of photos without overwriting the existing values. As you say, "you can add keywords to any field", however currently, in MM, you have to do that one track at a time, regardless of which field you use. Otherwise, you are overwriting the existing values in those fields. That's not really how keywords are supposed to work. Ideally, you should be able to add a Keyword to any group of files (or songs) without overwriting the existing values.

Maybe I'm missing something?
newbet

Post by newbet »

Darryl,

You can enter information at ONCE for a massive amount of files.

While looking at your library in MM, select the files you want to group under a keyword (using Ctrl + left mouse click or Shift + left mouse click), then right-click over the group, and select "properties" at the bottom of the context menu. A window will open where you will be able to access all the fields offered by MM. Typing anything here will make it show up in all the selected files. Be careful here, since you can also destroy information en masse.

Instead of right clicking, you can also click the command EDIT in the ordinary file menu, then click on PROPERTIES.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Thanks for the reply, newbet, but perhaps you misunderstand the point. As you say, "you can also destroy information en masse", and that is the point. You cannot add a single additional keyword to multiple files "en masse" without overwriting existing info. That's what Keywords are intended for. In a photo management suite, you can select multiple photos and then add a single additional keyword without overwrting existing values or clearing any existing fields. This is not possible in MM, and I think it'd be a terrific addition.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It is possible. For example if you wish to add (not replace) a Genre to multiple files you can select the files, hold down the Ctrl key and drag & drop the files onto the Genre node you wish to add.

I wouldn't be surprised if a tool like RegExp can also do this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =add+value
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Lowlander wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if a tool like RegExp can also do this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28510&hilit=add+value
It can - "Add specified string as last item to multi-item <Into Field>..."
I find it safer then the drag and drop method after the time I released me mouse button too soon and tagged all my Beatles tracks with the genre Jazz :lol:
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Lowlander wrote:It is possible. For example if you wish to add (not replace) a Genre to multiple files you can select the files, hold down the Ctrl key and drag & drop the files onto the Genre node you wish to add.
Great trick! Thanks!!
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Isit possible to remove a Genre from multiple files without removing other existing genres?

For example, in the following, I want to remove the "Cowboy Folk" Genre from several selected files.

Before:

song 1: Cowboy Folk; Swing; Bluegrass; Pop; Gypsy
Song 2: Cowboy Folk; Jazz; Country; Swing; Bluegrass;
Song 3: Cowboy Folk; Pop;
Song 4....

After:

song 1: Swing; Bluegrass; Pop; Gypsy
Song 2: Jazz; Country; Swing; Bluegrass;
Song 3: Pop;
Song 4....

:D

Post by Guest »

try using the 'RegExp Find and Replace' add on, it's a very powerful editing too.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

Guest wrote:try using the 'RegExp Find and Replace' add on, it's a very powerful editing too.
Thanks - RegExp works great!!