Sharing between Mediamonkeys?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jomtones

Sharing between Mediamonkeys?

Post by jomtones »

I have all my music on my desktop and want to add it to the library on my laptop. Can I do this with the 'sharing' / streaming feature? I turned on sharing on the desktop but when I try and add it to the library on the laptop it just says 'adding 0 files' and doesn't do anything.

Any way to get this working?
devaj

Re: Sharing between Mediamonkeys?

Post by devaj »

The 'Media Sharing' feature only allows devices (ie your laptop) access to your desktop's media. It does not mean that the files are being transferred to the laptop, at least not permanently.

If you want to transfer your library, then I'd suggest you get an external hard drive of some sort and copy & paste the media you want that's on your desktop to your laptop.
Since you probably want to keep the play-counts, ratings, skip-count, etc. of the files in your desktop's library, then you need to navigate to:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey

Find the file called MM.db

make a copy of that file onto the external hard drive, and place the file into same directory but in the laptop.

Doing this will transfer the information like ratings and such.
One problem you may face is that, if you then try to play a file on your laptop from it's MediaMonkey directory, it might not work. This is because the path to the file you want has changed.
To fix this, you've got two options. Both easy, really.

1)
Probably the simpler method.
With MediaMonkey open on your laptop, highlight your entire library (click on a file in your library and press Ctrl+A), then go to File>Locate Moved/Missing Files...
Now simply direct MediaMonkey where to scan for those files, wherever they may it, and hopefully that'll be sorted.

2)
If the first solution fails try this:
Say if on your desktop, all your music files were in a directory like this:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\Music
Then simply make it so that the directory is in the same position on your laptop. So you'd put your Music folder and place it in your desktop (this assumes you've got the same username on both your desktop and your laptop; if this isn't the case, place it somewhere else where the username of the computer does not show up in the directory)
jomtones

Post by jomtones »

Didn't want to copy them to the laptop, but was hoping to add em to the library - is that not how it works?
devaj

Post by devaj »

Unless if I'm mistaken, the Media Sharing feature doesn't allow you to add shared files to the library like that. At least I don't think it's possible, I haven't tried. I'll have a go tomorrow and let you know.
devaj

Post by devaj »

Right, so I checked, and I think I know how to do it now. However, this only works if both computers are on with MM running at the same time and of course they'd have to be connected to the same network.

Open MediaMonkey on both computers.
On your laptop's MM, on the Media Tree pane (on the left by default), you should see the Media Servers node.
There you should see a server indicating the presence of your desktop's MM. Expand it to:
Media Servers > MediaMonkey Server (COMPUTERNAME)>Music>All
Once you've clicked on 'All', give it time to generate the library (you might need to change the library view at this point).

That's pretty much it. =)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And you can scan it it in, but no editing will be saved to the server hosting + any changes on the server won't show unless rescanned.