24-bit/96kHz/ 192kHz

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Avagadro1

24-bit/96kHz/ 192kHz

Post by Avagadro1 »

Digital Music Files: 16/44.1, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192

I now have lots of CDs (16-bit 44.1kHz) ripped, in WAV format, onto the hard drive of my Windows 7 computer w Media Monkey. I finally got around to connecting, via 50-ft. Toslink optical cable, my computer’s optical output to the corresponding Toslink optical input on my Marantz SR 6003 receiver. (I am using the DACs in the Marantz receiver; I also own high-quality 2.1 speaker/subwoofer combo and an Oppo-83-SE CD/Blu-ray player.) The sound from the computer is very good, every bit as good as the CDs themselves

Now that that’s all set up, I have begun to visit websites that sell music downloads — 16-bit/44, 24-bit/88 and 96, and 24-bit/192 — all are FLAC. Some music (by no means all) is available in all three formats. The higher resolution digital files not only cost much more, but are MUCH larger in size.

Setting aside the debate whether WELL RECORDED material actually sounds better in 24-bit format over 16-bit Red Book, my question focuses on Media Monkey. If I purchase/download 24-bit/96 kHz or 24-bit 194kHz files (FLAC), will Media Monkey play them at full resolution without converting/compressing them to 16-bit/44.1 Standard Redbook? There is another media player for whcih I read that one must add a plug-in so that high-resolution files are not converted/compressed.

Separately, assuming Media Monkey can play high-resolution files without conversion/compression, has anyone clearly heard superior sound quality from 24-bit/192kHz over 24-bit/96kHz, or that over 16-bit/44.1kHz?

If this subject has been covered before (how could it not!), references to earlier threads also would be helpful.

Thanks.
mtrot

Re: 24-bit/96kHz/ 192kHz

Post by mtrot »

Well, first of all, high rez music sounds MUCH better to me than CDs. I have a modest collection of SACDs and DVD-Audio disks. In some cases, I also have the corresponding CD, and the high rez just sounds more like real voices and instruments to me.

Regarding MM and what it outputs digitally, I am confused as well. I am using MM on my Toshiba laptop and connecting via toslink digital cable to the AUX input on my Onkyo 809 Receiver. I downloaded the 96/24 flac file of Stevie Wonder, Innervisions, All in Love is Fair. Now, when I play this track on the computer and MM, it plays beautifully on the Onkyo, and the Onkyo display does show "96kHz", but it does not indicate "flac". I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the Onkyo would be decoding the flac file and would indicate "flac". I have to wonder if somehow the Toshiba laptop is decoding the flac file and sending some type of PCM data to the receiver. Any ideas?
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

mtrot wrote:I have to wonder if somehow the Toshiba laptop is decoding the flac file and sending some type of PCM data to the receiver. Any ideas?
A toslink cable is designed to carry PCM data so the answer is yes
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

BKKKPewsey wrote:
mtrot wrote:I have to wonder if somehow the Toshiba laptop is decoding the flac file and sending some type of PCM data to the receiver. Any ideas?
A toslink cable is designed to carry PCM data so the answer is yes
Thanks for the info! So, I wonder how good the conversion is on the laptop from flac to PCM? Would the sound quality be any different if I put the flac files on a jump drive and let the receiver play the flac files from the jump drive?
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

I would think the answer is yes providing of course the Marantz has the necessary codecs to play flac files

:)
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

BKKKPewsey wrote:I would think the answer is yes providing of course the Marantz has the necessary codecs to play flac files

:)
Thanks! I think I will give this a try. The receiver is an Onkyo 809, and it does play flac files.
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

mtrot wrote:The receiver is an Onkyo 809, and it does play flac files.
Sorry about that got me posts muddled up :D
Isn't the Onkyo network-able so you can just access your media directly so I was wondering why you need a "jump" drive :-?
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

BKKKPewsey wrote:
mtrot wrote:The receiver is an Onkyo 809, and it does play flac files.
Sorry about that got me posts muddled up :D
Isn't the Onkyo network-able so you can just access your media directly so I was wondering why you need a "jump" drive :-?
Yes, it is, and I have a wireless usb device attached so I can listen to XM Radio over the internet via my router. But I have no idea how to access any media that is on my laptop. And I also kind of figured the data wouldn't transfer fast enough from the laptop, and through the router to the receiver in order to get 96/24 or 192/24 music.
Wolfpacker96

Post by Wolfpacker96 »

I don't know how it's setup in the Onkyo, but it does have DLNA which means it will definitely stream audio and video directly from your laptop. Since you're in the MediaMonkey forum, there is a DLNA server already built in. Tools/options/library/media sharing, and just enable it. Now you have to leave MediaMonkey running or it won't work, and of course the laptop has to be on. Then just go into the Onkyo's network setting and it should see your laptop, then all your music and videos are on the Onkyo. As far as streaming, a "G" network should be enough to stream about any music except maybe 5.1 flacs. "N" you can do anything you want including HD video in mkv format. Assuming that the Onkyo can handle decoding the video. I don't see on the specs for that receiver that it plays flacs. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX- ... ceiver&p=f If it does, it's one of the few that would. Most don't. I only know of the Oppo blu-ray player that was doing that. And if it can do mkv files, that would be spectacular. It should at least play DIVX or XVID in avi. There's also a DLNA server in windows media player. You just have to turn it on in it's settings and that one you don't actually have to leave the program running, just the laptop. Don't know if you can stream flacs with it though. I can't stream any flacs to my Sony DLNA blu-ray, because it can't decode them. It can however decode wma files saved to the lossless setting at 24/96, but only the 2.0 files. If you have some 5.1 DVD-Audio tracks that you rip to 5.1 wma, they don't work for whatever reason.
Wolfpacker96

Post by Wolfpacker96 »

Just read through your manual and it does play flac files. Pretty cool. I noticed it didn't list any video formats, so I guess you can only play audio through it. Now if your blu-ray player has DLNA it should stream video.
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

Wolfpacker96 wrote:I don't know how it's setup in the Onkyo, but it does have DLNA which means it will definitely stream audio and video directly from your laptop. Since you're in the MediaMonkey forum, there is a DLNA server already built in. Tools/options/library/media sharing, and just enable it. Now you have to leave MediaMonkey running or it won't work, and of course the laptop has to be on. Then just go into the Onkyo's network setting and it should see your laptop, then all your music and videos are on the Onkyo. As far as streaming, a "G" network should be enough to stream about any music except maybe 5.1 flacs. "N" you can do anything you want including HD video in mkv format. Assuming that the Onkyo can handle decoding the video. I don't see on the specs for that receiver that it plays flacs. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX- ... ceiver&p=f If it does, it's one of the few that would. Most don't. I only know of the Oppo blu-ray player that was doing that. And if it can do mkv files, that would be spectacular. It should at least play DIVX or XVID in avi. There's also a DLNA server in windows media player. You just have to turn it on in it's settings and that one you don't actually have to leave the program running, just the laptop. Don't know if you can stream flacs with it though. I can't stream any flacs to my Sony DLNA blu-ray, because it can't decode them. It can however decode wma files saved to the lossless setting at 24/96, but only the 2.0 files. If you have some 5.1 DVD-Audio tracks that you rip to 5.1 wma, they don't work for whatever reason.
Thanks! Yes the Onkyo supports flac files up to 96kHz. I will try and follow your instructions and see I can get this working. I do have an Oppo BDP-83 universal player, which plays all kinds of files and can also be connected to the router, although I have no idea how I would integrate the Oppo into the system.
mtrot

Post by mtrot »

Wolfpacker96 wrote:Just read through your manual and it does play flac files. Pretty cool. I noticed it didn't list any video formats, so I guess you can only play audio through it. Now if your blu-ray player has DLNA it should stream video.
Hi, I just wanted to thank you again for the info. I actually was able to set the Media Monkey program on my laptop, and the Onkyo such that it works! I am streaming FLAC 96/24 files from the laptop to the receiver. So far, I have only played the one 96/24 track I downloaded from HDTracks. The receiver is indicating FLAC 96/24, whereas it would just say 96k when I connected the laptop to the optical SPDIF input on the receiver.

I am not sure if the music quality is the same, however. Should the audio quality be the same, either way?
Wolfpacker96

Post by Wolfpacker96 »

Sorry, haven't looked at this forum in a while. Since it does play flac streaming from your laptop, I see no reason why it would lower the quality. But I don't have your receiver, so can't tell you for sure. That oppo you have I no for a fact will play pretty much anything you throw at it. And if you want to upgrade your router, check out newegg. They usually have some cheap N routers that are refurbished. I'm running one myself and it's works great.
Wolfpacker96

Post by Wolfpacker96 »

mtrot wrote:
Wolfpacker96 wrote:Just read through your manual and it does play flac files. Pretty cool. I noticed it didn't list any video formats, so I guess you can only play audio through it. Now if your blu-ray player has DLNA it should stream video.
Hi, I just wanted to thank you again for the info. I actually was able to set the Media Monkey program on my laptop, and the Onkyo such that it works! I am streaming FLAC 96/24 files from the laptop to the receiver. So far, I have only played the one 96/24 track I downloaded from HDTracks. The receiver is indicating FLAC 96/24, whereas it would just say 96k when I connected the laptop to the optical SPDIF input on the receiver.

I am not sure if the music quality is the same, however. Should the audio quality be the same, either way?
Oh I didn't pay good attention to what you were writing. Since the receiver is stating something different, I would say it's likely that your SPDIF connection is lowering the quality. But unless you're listening to extremely well recorded classic or acoustic music, I'm fairly certain you would never notice a difference. Try them out one after the other and see if you can tell anything.