IOS5, iPod and MM 4.0.5.1496 : ratings don't sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

alin_derom

IOS5, iPod and MM 4.0.5.1496 : ratings don't sync

Post by alin_derom »

Hi,
I was pleased MM solved the IOS5 issue. The latest MM (1496) should be able to sync ratings without the help of any plug-in.
Unfortunately I don't see that in my sittuation. For the easy of the evaluation I had erased all song from my iPod.
Connecting ipod to MM and syncing show a (correctly) empty iPod.
I have only 2 5 star songs in MM
I configure autosync of the iPod to only sync 5 star songs, and to delete other songs from iPod
Syncing the 5 stars to iPod for the first time works.
Adding new songs with 5stars in MM are synced to the iPod
Removing the 5 stars from songs are synced to the iPod
BUT..
changing the stars on the iPod, and then sync iPod with MM, does not work. It's like I hadn't changed the star rating in the iPod ? Why?

By the way I have found 1 way to let it work, but you'll agree this is not practical, and 1 wrong move and you risk to loose everything
1) install the iTunes upate
2) only sync playlists.
3) Confiure the playlists in 3 locations (if you don't do this it does not work : in the MM-itunesDLL, in the MM-iPod and in iTunes
4) Beware of what rating you want to sync.
If you want to sync the MM ratings to the iPod then you will have to sync in this order : iTunes-MM-DLL, MM-iPod, iTunes
If you want to sync the iPod ratings to MM then you will have to sync in this order : iTunes, iTunes-MM-DLL, MM-iPod
If you have changed the rating in iTunes AND in MM, then you will loose 1 of them depending on the order you sync.
5) if you need to sync other playlists you must configure them in the 3 locations (iTunes-MM-DLL, iPOd-MM and iTunes
onar

Re: IOS5, iPod and MM 4.0.5.1496 : ratings don't sync

Post by onar »

I have the same problem of synching ratings from device to MM, on an ipod classic 160gb, latest mm version 1496.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying ratings changes made on iPod don't sync to MediaMonkey (works for me)? Check the settings to sync from device to PC.

Or are you saying that the AutoPlaylist Rating = 5 stars still allows tracks with changed rating on iPod to remain on the iPod? It would seem this is caused by MediaMonkey first selecting what to delete and then syncing tags back to MediaMonkey. A subsequent Auto-Sync should remove the files from device as they no longer match Rating criteria (if I'm right).
alin_derom

Post by alin_derom »

Hi Lowlander,
concerning : Are you saying ratings changes made on iPod don't sync to MediaMonkey (works for me)? Check the settings to sync from device to PC.
answer : indeed rating changes in the iPod are not synced back to MM. And in the TAB for synchronizing all squares are checked, including the one for syning from device to PC and for deleting songs from the device

By the way : does MM 4.0.5.1496 (with a new iPod engine) needs iTunes to have certain settings in order to work properly? And if it does, which?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, ratings changed on my iPod Touch are synced back to MediaMonkey on Auto-Sync. Regular iPod's don't need iTunes, but iPod Touch's, iPhone's and iPad's do.

You may want to capture the failure in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69 To keep the log simple you may want to auto-sync just a few files to the device, change the ratings and then auto-sync again.